Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

My interview experience

Hello everyone,
I had my naturalization interview yesterday on Jan 22,2007. I thought I would post my experience so that it can be of help to others. My interview time was at 8:33 AM so we reached the INS office at around 8:00 AM. There are many paid parking lots near INS office so we parked there.

The interview room is on floor 15 of the building. I submitted my interview notice to the window and was asked to wait for my turn. I was called in at 10:00 AM(yes most interviews are not conducted on time but still we should reache half an hour early). I was sworn in that I would tell the truth in my interview. The interview officer went through all the questions in the application to verify the info. I had applied for naturalization 2 years back which was denied due to insufficient continuity of residence. He had that application on hand also and was comparing that application with the new info. He asked for my marriage certificate(I have done registered marriage with a H1-B holder in the US) and also for my tax return information when I was out of country for more than a year. I gave him a copy of tax return form indicating that as I had no income during that period my uncle was claiming me as a dependent. He asked me 8-10 questions on US history and to write a sentence in English. Thats it!!! He did not verify any of my trip dates with my passports. The interview was a breeze and took about 25 mins.

We then waited for my name to be called for Oath ceremony which was conducted at 2 pm. I was done by 2:30 pm with the naturalization certificate in my hand!! Long day but worth all the wait:).

Lastly, this forum has been very useful to me and would like to thank everyone for their help.

patkt

Hello everyone,
My husband has recently applied for naturalization and so far this is his time line:

D.O. Newark, NJ
01/09/07 Application sent to VCS via USPS Express Mail
01/10/07 Received/Priority Date
01/22/07 NOA - Application received dated Jan 17,2007
01/24/07 NOA - Fingerprints appointment dated Jan 18,2007
02/01/07 Fingerprints

P.S. Patkt, congratulations on your recent naturalization.

new applicant

Hi Everyone. I recently sent my N-400 application in. Applying based on marriage to a US citizen (within the 3 yrs minus 90 days). I will update my sig once I am further along. So far I have just sent my application via USPS next day mail on January 24, 2007. D.O. Newark NJ.

My Interview Experience

Hi Folks,

I completed my interview & oath on Jan 11th, 2007. I apologize for posting my experience this late.

My interview time was schedule for 2:06pm at suite 1512 (15th floor) of the Rodino Federal Building in Newark. There is a parking right across the street for $8 for the entire day.

I arrived at the location at 1:35pm, showed my interview letter to security guard & walked right to window 1 where I had to drop off my interview letter. The room was very crowded, with no place to sit, however after 10 minutes, a person came & called people with "blue slips". Almost the entire room emptied out. These people were already done with their interview in the morning & were going for their oath.

Every 5-10 minutes, an officer would walk up to the window & call out someone's name for the interview. After a long wait, at around 3:15pm, my name was called. I was told to enter from "Door 2" & walked right to the officer's room (which was very impressive). The officer checked my green card & passport. He opened up my file & asked me to say my full name, which I said, without my middle name. He asked me repeat with my middle name, which is exactly what was written in the N-400 form. He then over details in he form. He asked me my daytime number. Usually, I give my cell phone number is my daytime number. However, on the N400 app, I had mistakenly given my home phone number. When I answered him with my cell phone, he said that was wrong. Then I told him my daytime number (by the way, my cell phone was also provided). By this time, I realized that he wanted me to say exactly what was written on the form. He went through a few other details on the form -- "Have you been in trouble with the law, since you filed this application?" etc.

After going through the form, he gave me a piece of paper & told me write "Today is a sunny day.". He then went over civics test, which were questions, right out of the standard set of 100 questions:

• What were the states called before they were states?
  • Who was Martin Luther King Jr.?
  • Who said "Give me freedom or give me death"?
  • What are changes to constitution called?

I answered all questions correctly & after the last one, he stopped, said "OK! Enough of that."

He then said, that the photos submitted with my form were incorrect. Fortunately, I had brought extra photos with me, so I told that. He said "Good. Here's the form. Give them your photos when you are called & Congratulations!!"

The whole interview took 15 minutes. I was out by 3:30pm. I then had to another long wait until 4:30, when my name was called out. I went up to the window, the lady asked for my photos, which I gave her, she made sign on the certificate of Naturalization & a copy and asked me to wait for the oath.

By the way, when you are asked to sign your name, do not scribble it like you usually do. Signing at this office means, write your full name in block letters.

Finally, around 5:30pm when all interviews were done & certificates were signed (around 72 people). An officer came out, explained to us about how to apply for the passport & administered the oath to us. He then called out names one by one & distributed out the certificates. I was out by 6pm.

That's it, I am now an American.

One point to note, I carried a lot documents with me -- birth certificate, employment letter, paystubs, mortgage documents, etc. However, none were checked. I could have just made do with my GC & passport. Anyways, I still believe it would be safe to carry all your documents.

Thanks to everyone on this group, the information here was very helpful.

Oct 19 2006 Application Timeline

Application sent: 10/19/2006
Application received by INS: 10/24/2006
PD: 10/24/2006
FP: 11/08/2006
ID: 2/26/2007

Passport?

The officer checked my green card & passport.

First of all congratulations, second, is it necessary to bring your passport? I prepared the form for my husband, he pretty much just signed it, and I didn't see passport as a required document, I'm just asking because his is expired.

Elvi_C said:
First of all congratulations, second, is it necessary to bring your passport? I prepared the form for my husband, he pretty much just signed it, and I didn't see passport as a required document, I'm just asking because his is expired.

I usually carry my GC & passport together and I did notice him checking my passport as well. I did not send a passport with my N-400 app, but based on my experience, I would say you need it for the interview.

@Elvi C
I think it is advisable to carry your passport. I had my interview on Jan 22,2007 and the very first documents that the officer asked for were my GC and passport. I think you must carry it.

Spouse got IL, I am still waiting....

Spouse and I filed at the same time but spouse got IL in the mail today. I am still waiting.......

Timelines:

VSC, Newark DO.

Me:

Mail date: 12/08/2006
Priority date: 12/11/2006
FP date: 12/29/2006
IL date: ??????

Spouse:

Mail date: 12/08/2006
Priority date: 12/11/2006
FP date: 12/29/2006
IL date: 01/24/2007
Interview date: 04/12/2007

Got Interview letter

Guys,

I got interview letter .I think Its pretty fast in Newark.

My timeline:
Applied: 12/06/2006
FP On : 12/27/2006
IL Recievedon : 01/26/2007
InterView on: 04/06/2007

supertwocats said:
I just received a letter for a second FP. VEEYEN, did you go to Hackensack for your 2nd fingerprint? Can you keep me posted when you receive your IL?

supertwocats

I got my IL scheduled at Newark for 04/05/07 after my second FP, which was done on 01/11/07.

IL recvd: 01/29/07
ID : 04/05/07

I don't know if my second FPs are OK or not, anyway I would like to take police clearences. I did same during my GC processing because of my finger print problems , also given two times then.

Hope you will get your IL soon.

avaswa said:
I usually carry my GC & passport together and I did notice him checking my passport as well. I did not send a passport with my N-400 app, but based on my experience, I would say you need it for the interview.

patkt said:
@Elvi C
I think it is advisable to carry your passport. I had my interview on Jan 22,2007 and the very first documents that the officer asked for were my GC and passport. I think you must carry it.

Thank you for your advice, now I realize my husband needs to take his passport to the interview in case the officer might want to check his travel dates. I have one question though, his passport is expired as of March 06' , should he renew it, or can he take it as it is?

VEEYEN said:
supertwocats

I got my IL scheduled at Newark for 04/05/07 after my second FP, which was done on 01/11/07.

IL recvd: 01/29/07
ID : 04/05/07

I don't know if my second FPs are OK or not, anyway I would like to take police clearences. I did same during my GC processing because of my finger print problems , also given two times then.

Hope you will get your IL soon.

Thanks VEEYEN! I have received my IL as well, and my ID is same as yours!
Good Luck!! :)

bw376 said:
Seems that I am in the same boat with rakesh14. My RD is 6/15/06. FP was done in July. Still have not received the interview notice. I also filed with VSC, and according to the online case status it is pending at VSC. I thought all the N400 need to be filed at a service center, not a local office. Maybe I was wrong?

BW376, Any change in your status? Since I have similar situation, just want to find any additional info you might have. I am still waiting, not response yet.

Rapid progress at Newark DO

Here is my experience so far:
Application date 12/26/06
Notice of Priority 01/05/07
FP notification 01/09/07
FP at Newark 01/18/07
Interview Letter 01/30/07
I'view scheduled 04/23/07 !!

Note that my situation may be atypical: I am a Canadian, resident in US since 1961. Whatever the explanation, I am impressed by and grateful for the efficiency of the USCIS!

My new time line

My details:

Submission Date : 12/15/06
Priority Date :12/18/06
FP Letter Recieved : 01/03/07
FP Date : 01/04/07
IL recieved Date: 02/03/07
Interview Date : 04/18/07

Spouse details:

Submission Date : 12/25/06
Priority Date :12/29/06
FP Letter Recieved : 01/10/07
FP Date : 01/18/07
IL recieved Date: 02/03/07
Interview Date : 04/23/07

;) ;) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The website has Jun06 as App Proc Date

The wesite has the processing date of June 06 for N-400. But I see posts in forum's getting interview for Jan 07 applications? What am I missing?

new filings

Anyone who filed recently could share their experience? I sent in my application on 2/1 and still have received any notice. Is this normal? Thanks.

Yang

Yang,

You should get yours soon. I sent my application in overnight on January 24, 2007 and I got a letter from them last thursday Feb 7, 2007. Surprisingly I got the notice letter and the fingerprint letter on the same day. My fingerprint is scheduled for Feb 15, 2007.

So basically, I received my notice a few days shy of 2 weeks after I sent in my app. Hope this helps.