Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Deer said:
I think the earliest time for infopass appointment is 7:30AM. If you want to speak to someone on 15th floor, then make sure that you get appt. for earliest time possible (before 8AM).

The lady at 3rd floor told me that they get 15 tickets a day for Mon-Thu and 10 tickets for Friday for people who want to speak to someone on 15th floor.

You need to have a sheet of paper and a ticket stapled to it from 3rd floor rep to go to 15th floor, else the security guard at 15th floor won't let you in.

Usually the tickets are gone by 8AM, so make sure you get the appointment for early in the day. Once you get to 15th floor, it may take another 2-3 hours.

Once I go to 15th floor, is there a bin where I place the Infopass & ticket in it or do I hand it to someone? After that do we get to talk to the officer who interviewed or is there someone who handles all infopass questions? I hate waiting hours for these folks. If only they have WiFi/Wirless internet access, I could continue working while I wait for them.

vp4 said:
Once I go to 15th floor, is there a bin where I place the Infopass & ticket in it or do I hand it to someone? After that do we get to talk to the officer who interviewed or is there someone who handles all infopass questions? I hate waiting hours for these folks. If only they have WiFi/Wirless internet access, I could continue working while I wait for them.

If you get to the 3rd floor early and are lucky enough to get the ticket. They will keep your infopass appoitnment and give another sheet of paper with the ticket stapled to it. You will need to fill in your personal info on the sheet (e.g. name, address, A# etc)

On 15th floor, give that paper to the clerk on Window #8, and they call everyone by name and provide them the status. I waited for about 2 hours before they called my name.

I did not get to speak to the officer, the clerk at the window gave me a paper saying that the case has been approved on xx date.

At least the good thing is that they look into their system and provide you latest status as opposed to the clerks on 3rd floor who do not have access to that system and they can answer only general questions.

You are very close to 120 day period, I think it may be worth waiting for couple of hours... you never know, you may hear the good news.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I will try to get there prior to 7:30 AM. Hopefully I don't need to go there at 2 AM in the morning Like I did years ago when I applied for work permit, etc. :)

Tried to make an infopass appointment online. Got the following message when I chose "You wish to speak to an immigration officer".

"At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later."

vp4 said:
Tried to make an infopass appointment online. Got the following message when I chose "You wish to speak to an immigration officer".

"At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later."

Try again in a day or so. They don't give out appointments for more than 2 weeks in advance.

Interview Letter

Yesterday, surprisingly I had the interview letter in my mailbox. The ID is Oct 30.

PD: 07/18/06
FP: 08/08/06
Case last updated on: Aug 19.
ID: 10/30/06.

Wow.. congratulations.. May be i get it today...need to check mail
My case was also last updated on 8/19

Deer said:
Try again in a day or so. They don't give out appointments for more than 2 weeks in advance.

Made an appointment for Friday, September 8th at 7:45 AM. Hope if I show up by 7 AM, I would get the ticket on 3rd floor.

Received Notice

N400 Sent date: 08/09/2006
PD:08/11/2006
Receipt Notice received on: 08/24/2006
FP:??

On the notice it was mentioned that:
"Insufficient or missing evidence. We will contact you about what evidence is missing and you will have to bring that evidence with you during interview.Do not send anything by mail".

Is this common to all receipts for all of you? Or should I worry about what I forgot to send? Will there be any delay due to this?

I think I sent
1. N400
2. Check
3. Photos
4. Green card front and back photocopy
5. selective service letter
6. diriving ticket receipt & paid fine proof/receipt photocopies

I am not sure what is missing.

I got the answer from the "FAQ".
Looks like they put that sentence in most notice letters.
So I will just ignore it until I receive something more specific.

Got my oath letter today for Friday, Sep 22nd, 2 PM. Hope they won't keep me waiting till 5PM for the oath. What times do they generally have the ceremonies scheduled daily?

N400 Sent date: 08/09/2006
PD:08/11/2006
Receipt Notice received on: 08/24/2006
FP notice received on: 08/25/2006
FP:08/30/2006

My FP is at 11am at Newark office.
How long does it normally take?

I was wondering whether I should take the full day off. If it takes less than 30 minutes to an hour then maybe I could go back to work for second half of the day. Please advise.

lca said:
My FP is at 11am at Newark office.
How long does it normally take?

I was wondering whether I should take the full day off. If it takes less than 30 minutes to an hour then maybe I could go back to work for second half of the day. Please advise.

lca,

It took about 2 hours for me. My appointment was at 10am. I went inside exactly at 10 and came out approx 12pm. There were more than hundred people before me. It takes only 5 mins to do the FP but the waiting is hours. I'm not sure if the appointment time makes any sense because I saw a lot of people before me in the line not scheduled for 10am. You have to wait in the line and then go inside and get a number and then wait there again. You should be able to go to office for the second half of the day. Try to be before 11.

Anan said:
Yesterday, surprisingly I had the interview letter in my mailbox. The ID is Oct 30.

PD: 07/18/06
FP: 08/08/06
Case last updated on: Aug 19.
ID: 10/30/06.

Got interview letter yesterday.. similar time lines..
PD: 06/28/06
FP:07/15/06
ID:10/19/06

vp4 said:
Got my oath letter today for Friday, Sep 22nd, 2 PM. Hope they won't keep me waiting till 5PM for the oath. What times do they generally have the ceremonies scheduled daily?

I had my oath taken yesterday. The appointment was at 8:00AM. I walked out of the building at around 11:00AM. Not bad if you ask me considering the lengthy waiting and it's finally over.

Good luck!

is oath and interview are on the same day? My interview scheduled at 8.30am on oct 19th. Also I need to go thru name change process.. Is it possible to correct my name change in my application at the time of interview .. Initially I thought of having middle name.. decided not to have it.. is that possible to correct it in my application at the time of interview?

holmdel said:
is oath and interview are on the same day? My interview scheduled at 8.30am on oct 19th. Also I need to go thru name change process.. Is it possible to correct my name change in my application at the time of interview .. Initially I thought of having middle name.. decided not to have it.. is that possible to correct it in my application at the time of interview?

Congrats. I believe the oath and interview is on the same day in Newark as long as the case is not pending for some other reasons. Not sure if you will be able to correct your name change at that point. Let me know what you find. Because I thought of having a name change and last minute decided not to do before naturalization because of the name check delays.

Ananth

Completed my FP this morning at Newark. Was so quick.
I just walked in and out of the office.

I agree with the FP - it was so quick at Newark - I was done like in about 30 mins. Now to only hope that the namecheck and the receipt of the IL is relatively quick too.