Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

futcitizen said:
Orabia, I just asked for the naturalization unit and the person who came on phone helped me out. I guess you just have to try a few times.

all the best.
Futcitizen - firstly, many thanks to you for posting the number and describing your experience. I too tried it and got my Naturalization done today! Below is my experience.<BR><BR>

When futcitizen initially posted the number, I kept calling (at the prompt, select 2,0) and finally got to an operator. I asked to be transferred to my case officer. Now the case officer numbers are automatically transferred to voicemail, and they do not pick up the phones. I left 2 voicemails over the span of 2 days (Thu July 6, Friday July 7) for the officer who interviewed me. Then this Monday (July 10), I called again and asked the operator to transfer me an immigration supervisor, and I got to speak to a real "Live" person. Ths supervisor was friendly enough, and said that although she couldn't personally check the cases, she would get my interviewer to look into the matter and call me back.<BR><BR>

Then three days later (Thursday, July 13), I was shocked to find a letter from the Newark office in my mail scheduling me for an oath at the end of the month. As I have to travel to Europe and Asia for work pretty soon, I called up the Newark office today (Friday, July 14) and asked if they could make an accomodation and move up my oath ceremony date - the receptionist was extremely pleasant, asked for my A number and (after keeping me on hold for less than 5 minutes) said I could come by this afternoon for the oath!

I worked in Manhattan, so jumped into a cab and got the newark office by 1:00 - spent about 90 mins in the office waiting for the oath and the certificate, and walked out a little after 2:30 PM with my certificate in hand. End of a pretty long and painful process. Glad it is over. <BR><BR>

I would urge others like Deer who have been dragged down in the process to call and check up - it is definitely worth the effort. Good luck to all!

<BR><BR>

Sli said:
Futcitizen - firstly, many thanks to you for posting the number and describing your experience. I too tried it and got my Naturalization done today! Below is my experience.<BR><BR>

When futcitizen initially posted the number, I kept calling (at the prompt, select 2,0) and finally got to an operator. I asked to be transferred to my case officer. Now the case officer numbers are automatically transferred to voicemail, and they do not pick up the phones. I left 2 voicemails over the span of 2 days (Thu July 6, Friday July 7) for the officer who interviewed me. Then this Monday (July 10), I called again and asked the operator to transfer me an immigration supervisor, and I got to speak to a real "Live" person. Ths supervisor was friendly enough, and said that although she couldn't personally check the cases, she would get my interviewer to look into the matter and call me back.<BR><BR>

Then three days later (Thursday, July 13), I was shocked to find a letter from the Newark office in my mail scheduling me for an oath at the end of the month. As I have to travel to Europe and Asia for work pretty soon, I called up the Newark office today (Friday, July 14) and asked if they could make an accomodation and move up my oath ceremony date - the receptionist was extremely pleasant, asked for my A number and (after keeping me on hold for less than 5 minutes) said I could come by this afternoon for the oath!

I worked in Manhattan, so jumped into a cab and got the newark office by 1:00 - spent about 90 mins in the office waiting for the oath and the certificate, and walked out a little after 2:30 PM with my certificate in hand. End of a pretty long and painful process. Glad it is over. <BR><BR>

I would urge others like Deer who have been dragged down in the process to call and check up - it is definitely worth the effort. Good luck to all!

<BR><BR>

Congratulations Sli.

I have tried calling that number a few times too and got the voicemail. I have left msg everytime. I guess, I will have to keep trying and see how long does it take for me to get to speak to someone.

Deer - I think the key is to ask for a Naturalization Supervisor - I think that is what did the trick for me. Good luck, do keep trying!

Sli,
Congratulations! Is the 973 number you called?

Thanks

QUOTE=Sli]Futcitizen - firstly, many thanks to you for posting the number and describing your experience. I too tried it and got my Naturalization done today! Below is my experience.<BR><BR>

<BR><BR>[/QUOTE]

Some success with Infopass

Brief history of my case: Interview June 6th, 2006. Cleared test, was told "background check pending". I called 1-800-Number, and they said "A file" pending. So confused, I took an Info pass yesterday. Experience below.

Had Infopass at 7:45. Went there at 7:30 and by the time I could clear security etc, it was 8:00. Went to the 3rd floor of the building and the guy at the counter asked me for details of A-number etc, said something like "cleared", and asked me to go to the 15th floor to talk with an immigration official.

I did not know what "cleared" meant - whether I was cleared to talk to immigration official or if my application was cleared.

Anyway, went to 15th floor, submitted a form he had given me (with details of my case), and waited for 1hr 30 minutes. A lady then called me to the counter looked through my case and said - "your case was approved on July 3rd and we've mailed you the oath letter" :) I asked her when they mailed the oath letter because I've not got it yet and it was July 17th. She looked into the file and then said, actually your case is approved, but we've not sent the oath letter yet, will send it in next 2 weeks.

I really hope that this is not some sort of confusion on their parts and my case is approved, but will believe for sure only when I have oath letter in my hand.

There were 3 other people with me, and for 2 of them she said cleared, and for the other person she said name check is going on.

So anyway, felt that the Infopass was actually useful in my case. IF my background / A-file issue was cleared in less than a month, there is still hope for those cause in the namecheck black hole, I guess.

PS: I did do an OPT under F-1 and had dual A-numbers. I did nothing about this and dont know if this or the name check was the real issue in my case.

Last edited by a moderator:
<<submitted a form he had given me (with details of my case), and waited for 1hr 30 minutes.>>

You had an Infopass appointment at 7:45 and was made to wait for 90 mins? Is there anything they won't make you wait for?

Dual A#s

My husband and I sent in our application last saturday (july 17th). I started looking at this forum today and found that a lot of people are having trouble with dual A#s. I know that my husband has two A#s one on his OPT and the other on his green card. Is there anything we can do to expedite the process instead of waiting till the interview date? Any suggestions in this regard will be appreciated!

vp4 said:
<<submitted a form he had given me (with details of my case), and waited for 1hr 30 minutes.>>

You had an Infopass appointment at 7:45 and was made to wait for 90 mins? Is there anything they won't make you wait for?
Hey VP4, did you get your oath letter yet? Its now more than 2 months since you were approved right? Did you take an InfoPass?

Just wondering how long these folks take to schedule oath even after they approve the application.

Egad

egad said:
Hey VP4, did you get your oath letter yet? Its now more than 2 months since you were approved right? Did you take an InfoPass?

Just wondering how long these folks take to schedule oath even after they approve the application.

Egad

Nope. I didn't go with InfoPass as I will not waste my time in the queue waiting. I am a consultant and I can't lose money (if I don't work, I don't get paid) waiting for them to answer my question. I will wait till September 2nd, when it will be 120 days and then ask for an answer from the center director. I don't want to unncessarily go there, lose money and be told to wait till September 2nd. When I called the 800 number on June 15th, the person I spoke to did say they have 120 days to do anything.

vp4 said:
Nope. I didn't go with InfoPass as I will not waste my time in the queue waiting. I am a consultant and I can't lose money (if I don't work, I don't get paid) waiting for them to answer my question. I will wait till September 2nd, when it will be 120 days and then ask for an answer from the center director. I don't want to unncessarily go there, lose money and be told to wait till September 2nd. When I called the 800 number on June 15th, the person I spoke to did say they have 120 days to do anything.
I was stupid enough to make an Infopass appointment, drove to Newark, waited in the queue for about 45 minutes and was told by the lady at the window that she couldn't do anything because it was less than 120 days since my interview. She wouldn't even bother to listen to me.

Lady is bad at Infopass, but guy is okay ...

Hey,

Since I had a good experience with same Infopass, I can give you some perspective.

When I went, I first went to the third floor and stood in a queue - there were two people hearing people out. One was a lady and the other was a guy. All the people who went before me to the lady, she sent back with some excuse or the other (Often she did not even check the computer). The guy on the other hand would check the computer and based on that would make a decision to send the person to an actual immigration office (15 th floor). Only there can you get actual info.

So NJ Goose, I'd try again and try to get the guy ...

Greg

egad said:
Hey,

Since I had a good experience with same Infopass, I can give you some perspective.

When I went, I first went to the third floor and stood in a queue - there were two people hearing people out. One was a lady and the other was a guy. All the people who went before me to the lady, she sent back with some excuse or the other (Often she did not even check the computer). The guy on the other hand would check the computer and based on that would make a decision to send the person to an actual immigration office (15 th floor). Only there can you get actual info.

So NJ Goose, I'd try again and try to get the guy ...

Greg
Greg, thanks for the info. After the Infopass visit, I called the Newark office and was able to obtain the phone number of the officer who interviewed me. I called the number and left a message to enquire about my N-400 application. The officer called me back and left a message on my voice mail saying that my file is still incomplete pending on a missing file.

Do Reciept Notices from VSC begin with ESC*?

My reciept notice begins wtih ESC*, I thought it should've been EAC*?.

I cannot find the case number in the telephone system or on site at USCIS!!.

Thanks.
------------------------------

Reciept Date: 07/20/06
PD: 07/20/06
ND: 08/01/06
FP?
I?

r2j4 said:
My reciept notice begins wtih ESC*, I thought it should've been EAC*?.

I cannot find the case number in the telephone system or on site at USCIS!!.

Thanks.

Reciept Date: 07/20/06
PD: 07/20/06
ND: 08/01/06
FP?
I?

My receipt number also starts with ESC*, May be naturalization receipt numbers start with ESC, I am able to see my case status on line. I mailed in my application on July 15th my priority date is july 17th. I gave my finger prints yesterday (Aug 5th). I think they are expediting the process at VSC/ Newark. :)

Thanks,
bhags
Receipt Date: 07/17/06
PD: 07/17/06
Receipt ND: 07/25/06.
FP ND:7/28/06.
FP: 08/05/06.

New N-400 applicant

Mine also starts with ESC*. I am also able to see my case status online. My priority date is july 18th. done my finger prints today at newark. A guy I met there told me that his friend's application was all done in less than 3 months with Newark.

PD: 07/18/06
FP: 08/08/06
ID: ?

My reciept notice starts wtih ESC* too. I could check my case status online but it is not updated after my finger prints.

PD: 06/26/06
FP:07/15/06
IL:???
ID:???

2 Questions

1. Is it easy to park near the newark office? If yes where do I park?
Is it the same address for FP and interview+ oath?

2. What happens if some of my information changes by the time of interview. For example, we are expecting a baby in the next few months. During the interview do I have to mention that or do I need to send some update to them about my application information?

Thanks

lca said:
1. Is it easy to park near the newark office? If yes where do I park?
Is it the same address for FP and interview+ oath?

2. What happens if some of my information changes by the time of interview. For example, we are expecting a baby in the next few months. During the interview do I have to mention that or do I need to send some update to them about my application information?

Thanks

Yes, it is easy to park near Newark office. There is a parking lot right behind the building which charges $12/day.

it is NOT the same address as for FP, and you'll get an opportunity to update any information during your interview. The officer reviews the application and asks if anything has changed.

BTW, an update on my pending case (for those who are stuck with 2 "A" file issues at Newark) -

I took an infopass a couple of days ago and was told that my case has been approved (after more than 5 months of interview) and I should get the oath letter within a month or so.

I am almost done... will update once I receive the oath letter.

Got my oath letter

My wife and I were interviewed on May 24th and were told that there's a 2nd A#. Surprisingly, I got my oath letter yesterday but my wife. So, to those who have same issue, keep your hope up!