Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

avijitrupa said:
Hello,

Few things I would like to share:

1) I did bring IRS tax return statement for 2004 and backwards but I believe
taking the 2005 tax return (even though most probably it would be your
own copy and not the IRS certified statement) would be helpful

Avijit & Rupa

Congralutions! I have questions, though. Did you use the IRS tax returns that you brought during the interview? Were you asked to present it?

Don't forget to register with the County Election Clerk. As the civic test reviewer indicated, the most important right granted to a citizen, like you, is the right to vote.

Best regards.

------------------------

Pd: 12/15/2005
Fp: 01/19/2006
Id Noa: 03/22/2006
Id: 05/16/2006 - Oath taken

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anybody out there who knows how to help resolve the 2 A File issue quicker?

What I am worried about is, there are about a 100 files sitting in my IO's office. If takes a month to send it to NRC the process time will increase accordingly.

Please share. Thanks

avijitrupa / futcitizen,

Congratulations avijitrupa . Good Luck futcitizen.

How did you prepare for the interview questions, is there a website (url) you can post. I have an interview on the 29th.

Thanks
scitizen

scitizen said:
avijitrupa / futcitizen,

Congratulations avijitrupa . Good Luck futcitizen.

How did you prepare for the interview questions, is there a website (url) you can post. I have an interview on the 29th.

Thanks
scitizen

I assume you are referring to the history/civics section of the interview. You can find the "96 questions" list at
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/flashcards/Flashcard_questions.pdf

The questions asked during the interview are almost always from this list. I say "almost" because I was asked one question not from this list.

Sam

futcitizen said:
Is anybody out there who knows how to help resolve the 2 A File issue quicker?

What I am worried about is, there are about a 100 files sitting in my IO's office. If takes a month to send it to NRC the process time will increase accordingly.

Please share. Thanks

I am not sure if there is a way to quickly resolve this issue. I have tried infopass and didn't work, not sure if senators/congressmen would be of any help either.

for me, it's been more than 3.5 months and haven't heard anything except that the second A file was received in Newark within 3 weeks from my interview. They told me that during my infopass.

It's not as bad as name check issue, and given election year this year, Newark DO is really swamped, so I won't be surprised if it takes 4-6 months.

of course after 120 days, you have an option to sue them, which may speed up the process, but you are still looking at 1-2 months process since the date you sue them.

update on my pending relating file -

I requested an inquiry from my Congressman on my behalf, on the pending relating file issue with my N400 petition, assuming a dual A # case for lack of detailed information.

I got a feedback from Congressman's office that my case is approved and that I should be getting an oath letter from now upto 90 days any time.

I hope this information helps the forum.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
bunny007 said:
I requested an inquiry from my Congressman on my behalf, on the pending relating file issue with my N400 petition, assuming a dual A # case for lack of detailed information.

I got a feedback from Congressman's office that my case is approved and that I should be getting an oath letter from now upto 90 days any time.

I hope this information helps the forum.

thanks

Congrats! bunny007.

Who did you contact? How long did it take from you contacting them to hear back from them?

Deer said:
Congrats! bunny007.

Who did you contact? How long did it take from you contacting them to hear back from them?

Deer,

Actually I was lucky another congressman from Paterson responded quite promptly to my request. They went out of their way to inquire on my behalf.

Initially they said I do not fall under their constituency so could not help.

Some how the person handling the casework was kind enough to make the inquiry for what ever reason and they heard back from USCIS quite fast I do not remember the exact timeline but something like 2-3 weeks I think.

Actually the congressman's office where I belong to middlesex county is still to hear back from USCIS.

thanks

bunny007 said:
Deer,

Actually I was lucky another congressman from Paterson responded quite promptly to my request. They went out of their way to inquire on my behalf.

Initially they said I do not fall under their constituency so could not help.

Some how the person handling the casework was kind enough to make the inquiry for what ever reason and they heard back from USCIS quite fast I do not remember the exact timeline but something like 2-3 weeks I think.

Actually the congressman's office where I belong to middlesex county is still to hear back from USCIS.

thanks

I am in middlesex county too. I tried to contact senator's offices but haven't had much luck yet. They are very slow and haven't responded back to my request yet, so I don't have much hopes from them.

Good to hear that they worked quite promptly on your case and got it resolved.

Deer said:
I am in middlesex county too. I tried to contact senator's offices but haven't had much luck yet. They are very slow and haven't responded back to my request yet, so I don't have much hopes from them.

Good to hear that they worked quite promptly on your case and got it resolved.
I sent an e-mail to my congressman in Morris county and just got a reply after two weeks. The lady in his office sent an enquiry to CIS and got a reply from CIS that my wife's name check has been approved. It may take up to 100 days to schedule an oath. Hope it will come sooner.

Deer-

I spoke with an immigration officer today, and he said that since my 2nd file is at NRC, it takes about 2-3 weeks to get to the Newark office. After that it depends on the IO to look at it when "he" get the TIME!

So there cannot be any standard expectation here. Only if you have a contact with a good lawyer who knows someone on the inside, it can probably worked out.

My problem is I have relatives in India suffering from serious illness and If I ever need travel there is always the fear that the oath might be scheduled for a date that I am away.

We'll see. Thank

Got an Interview Notice for Newark, NJ

We (my wife and I) had applied N-400 on May 5th (Priority Date).
Yesterday both of us received the letter for interview at Newark, NJ on Aug. 22nd 2006.

Usually I used to see about 6 months between application and Interview date.

I was quite surprized to see the interview date within about 3&1/2 months since we applied. I am wondering because my H-1 and Green Card has been with one employer and in NJ.

Has anybody with similar dates/time span at Newark, NJ ?

Our timeline is:
Priority Date: 5/5/06
FP Done: 5/26/06
Status Disappeared from USCIS website: 6/16/06
Interview Letter Received: 6/19/06
Interview Date: 8/22/06

pvnind said:
Yesterday both of us received the letter for interview at Newark, NJ on Aug. 22nd 2006.

I was quite surprized to see the interview date within about 3&1/2 months since we applied. I am wondering because my H-1 and Green Card has been with one employer and in NJ.

Our timeline is:

My timeline
Priority date 5/4/06
FP Done: 5/19/06
Still waiting for Interview letter

bunny007 said:
Hi Deer/NJGoose/others,

How effective is congressman / Senator's inquiry to USCIS on my behalf ?

Did this route work for any one, on issues like, dual A file, pending relating files..could gather from this forum does not work so good on issues like name check but not sure on other issues.

thanks
bunny

I thought I will shared this with the forum and see what you think.

I called Middlesex county Congressman's office and the case worker there "ASSUMES" my N652 which says pending relating file is a "security Check" issue and can take 18 months to 3 years or longer.

I said I might go to a lawyer, if Congressman's office cannot help me even get some basic information from CIS office on the status of my application, but the case worker in Congressman's office does not want me to do that, i.e go to a lawyer.

Another Congressman's office from Passaic says according to their inquiry my case is approved and I should get an oath letter in 3 months time.

Do not know who to believe, I have a feeling this Middlesex county congressman's office case worker not being honest. He gives a different a version each time I call.

What do the experts think ?

bunny.

bunny007 said:
I thought I will shared this with the forum and see what you think.

I called Middlesex county Congressman's office and the case worker there "ASSUMES" my N652 which says pending relating file is a "security Check" issue and can take 18 months to 3 years or longer.

I said I might go to a lawyer, if Congressman's office cannot help me even get some basic information from CIS office on the status of my application, but the case worker in Congressman's office does not want me to do that, i.e go to a lawyer.

Another Congressman's office from Passaic says according to their inquiry my case is approved and I should get an oath letter in 3 months time.

Do not know who to believe, I have a feeling this Middlesex county congressman's office case worker not being honest. He gives a different a version each time I call.

What do the experts think ?

bunny.

I'd suggest to take an infopass and go there and ask to speak to an officer. At least they should be able to tell you if your case has been approved or not. You can also ask them if your background check is pending or not.

Deer,

120 days have elapsed since your interview on Feb 21.

Any luck with all your hard works?

What do you plan to do next?

pvnind said:

Our timeline is:

Looks like they are speeding up the process even more. Your being with 1 employer has nothing to do with it - you don't even have to be employed to naturalize.

Sam

Deer said:
I'd suggest to take an infopass and go there and ask to speak to an officer. At least they should be able to tell you if your case has been approved or not. You can also ask them if your background check is pending or not.

Deer,

Thanks for your input.

Actually I just got a call from Middlesex County Congressman's office that they heard on my case from CIS office, My oath date is July 28 and that oath letter is already mailed.

Pending relating file in my case was something to do with one of the files in my long track record in this country possibly dual A# is what I gather.

You never know with this CIS office but lets see. Will keep the forum posted if anything changes.

pmg said:
Deer,

120 days have elapsed since your interview on Feb 21.

Any luck with all your hard works?

What do you plan to do next?

No luck yet and no plans either, but looks like now I have to make it a high priority.

Legal action is the last option, but I am still hoping that I won't have to go that route. Will give it another month or so then decide.