Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Let's talk about that

Thanks Amyjar, Thanks Deer.

Amyjar,

Did you apply at post office or county courthouse? Anything I need to know except that I need to give them my original certificate wit h the form and fee

Thanks

applied at the municipal office

we applied at the North Brunswick Municipal office at the county clerk. They only need the actual certificate, two pics and will ask for your driver's license.

lonelydove- tickets

congrats lonelydove. incidentally did you declare any traffic tickets in the application or did you mention this in the interview?

Nope

genesis,

I had one traffic violation and that was not in US. It was in Canada. So I did not mention it. Also as per amyjar, she discussed it with a lawyer, I don't think you need to mention traffic violation. (Read her comments regarding that in this thread). But I think most people do mention it. I don;t know in that case do they say "YES" under question, "Have you ever been charged ever"

Best of luck.

Mailed my N400 - Just before the Snow hit

I completed my papers and mailed my application yesterday from NYC. Just before the snow storm today......

I willl update status as soon as I hear from them

Timeline: N-400 -> Vermont SC -> Newark DO
12/08/05: Mailed Application

Received interview letter

Hi All,
I am a quite observer on this board. I got my interview letter in mail on Saturday. My details are =>

PD - 6/30/2005
FP - 8/13/2005
Interview date - 2/14/2006

I have couple of questions. In my original receipt, it said "application received with exception". So, I was hoping they will mention more information in interview letter. But it looks like it's a standard letter. I had mentioned traffic tickets in my application.
Also, it says that it's a letter for initial interview. Are there going to be more interviews or just one?
Thanks

Recevied Interview Letter

I also received the interview letter yesterday. Interview scheduled for Feb 21st.

Haven't read the letter completely yet for the document requirements etc.

---------------
PD: 7/11/05
FP: 8/20/05
ID: 2/21/06

Interview - Dec'05

I was naturalized yesterday at Newark. PD: end of April'05, FP: first week of July'05, Interview: Mid - Dec'05. Almost 8 months from start to finish.

Driving directions from AmyJar was quite helpful from 21N. Parked in the back of the building for $12 all day. Just as she mentioned, it was a really long freezing wait outside the building. My interview was at 9.30. I joined the long line (there was only one line) at 9 a.m. but wasn't let in until 9.45. Even though I thought I dressed warm, it just wasn't enough. It was really awfully cold. Don't have too much water/liquid to drink before you get there. Get the point? :)

It was a really long day for me. I was there from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. My interview experience is here:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=198599

I just wanted to add a few comments specific to Newark D.O. I saw quite a few people were not approved. They were going back without waiting for the oath. I asked some of them why - they didn't converse well in English, documents not appropriate, possible name check etc., were the reasons. The whole day (both the morning and evening sessions of the interview) there were atleast 250 waiting to be interviewed. Out of them, possibly only about 120 were taking the oath, that's about 50% getting approved. I got the statistics from the oath officer, who was such a nice guy. Newark officers and clerks are friendly, nice people. The woman who was sitting next to me came in at 11.30 for her interview that was scheduled for 8 a.m. She didn't have a problem - she was called around 12.15. Also I saw someone who was so careless that he came in at 3.30 p.m. for his interview in the morning. The officers were quite accommodative and he had his interview at 4 and even got approved. I was surprised to find this person dressed in sweat pants and sweat shirt and a baseball cap. Even though it says proper attire is required for oath, no one at the office or even the applicants seem to care. A number of people wore t-shirts and jeans.

I also met 2 young girls probably 18 or 19, who forgot to attend their interview the previous friday and who just walked in the next tuesday(yesterday) to re-schedule theirs. They were so happy when the clerks re-scheduled it for next week. I would've never known, it would be so easy to miss an interview and have it re-scheduled just like that.

The cafetaria on the 2nd floor has very few things, if you are a vegetarian, you'll have a hard time finding anything good to eat. So, I didn't eat anything during lunch time and found myself almost fainting by the end of the day. They don't even have vending machines after the cafetaria closes around 2.30 or so. It was only me and three other people that were in the morning batch taking the evening oath - otherwise the whole process should take no longer than 4 hours. People who get afternoon interview are very lucky - they never seem to have a line after 11 to wait outside the building.

It got so late for the evening oath - we had the 5 p.m. oath starting at 5.50 p.m. and everyone was tired, hungry and impatient. The oath officer cut it short by asking us to vote if we wanted to see the videos or not - guess what - all of us said "No". He said good choice and quickly briefed us on who you can petition for and so on. The ceremony was done in 10 minutes. It was tiring, but at the end of the day, it was all worth it :)

I want to thank Melany (a very nice girl on this thread) who helped me recently with her interview experience. Melany, I will never forget your help, but somehow missed to include your name in my other post.

Last edited by a moderator:
jenimmi said:
I was naturalized yesterday at Newark. PD: end of April'05, FP: first week of July'05, Interview: Mid - Dec'05. Almost 8 months from start to finish.
Congratulations!
Thank you very much for the very detailed experience and the wonderful insights you have added.

Enjoy being an american and wish the rest of us a good luck.

SONy

Thank you very much Sony.

I've been observing your long immigration journey and the decent fight that you've put up with USCIS till now. I wish I had as much common sense as you do. I'm still amazed at how you turned the situation in your favor the second time around :D It also helped that the Almighty was on your side!

My guess is - Your oath ceremony is not too far, my friend. Good luck to you and Happy holidays to you and family!

My interview today...

Dear Friends,
I had my interview today (12/15/05 afternoon, Newark, NJ). The officer was very nice. Went through application and ask questions- no problems. Questions were simple like color of the flag, major political parties, stuff like that. He asked me to write a simple sentence. He told me that there is another A# and he needs to get that file. I did my GC through CP and at that time my employer also filed I-485 after I-140 was approved. After we came back I did write to INS about our immigration through CP and sent them letter. But as the officer said, they never take care of it. I don't know if I could have done anything else to help this (as I already wrote then about 5 years ago).

The officer gave me a letter stating two things, two files (the easy part) and background check pending (the unknown part). He said once they receive the other file which should be fast and gets the background check then they will send me a letter for oath. He mentioned that my FPs were cleared but the background check is pending. He also mentioned that "oh, this is my second today". I am a Muslim, so I suspect that is the reason in my case, but he mentioned that this happens to people from diverse countries/backgrounds. Well, anyways, I don't know what are the next steps for me and I don't know how long the background check will take. I need the citizenship to apply for mother's GC as she has the rest of her children back home and she just went through mastectomy and chemo and I thought that the travel should help her after her tough ordeal- but!

I asked the office how I can check on any progress, he said that I can write letter (to the same Newark office with attention to him) and would reply. But he was not encouraging lots of correspondence. He also said that he regularly checks the cases and as soon as it clears he sends letters.

Thanks for everyone’s help in this forum.

jenimi, faizullah

Congrats Jenimi I read your post and it was really heartwarming, almost like straight out of a Christmas movie! Yes, the Lord works in mysterious ways. Good for you and all the best.
Regarding your other post about the general observations- that only 50% approval in Newark does not look too good. I have read elsewhere on this thread, that only about 5-10% are held up in background checks. So the balance are they failing the tests, or is it duplicate A# files or something else? Just curious.
Sorry Faizullah, I am sure your case will also get done soon. It appears that Newark office is very proactive and positive and so hopefully, it will be good news soon.

genesis1 said:
Congrats Jenimi I read your post and it was really heartwarming, almost like straight out of a Christmas movie! Yes, the Lord works in mysterious ways. Good for you and all the best.
Regarding your other post about the general observations- that only 50% approval in Newark does not look too good. I have read elsewhere on this thread, that only about 5-10% are held up in background checks. So the balance are they failing the tests, or is it duplicate A# files or something else? Just curious.
Sorry Faizullah, I am sure your case will also get done soon. It appears that Newark office is very proactive and positive and so hopefully, it will be good news soon.

Thanks Genesis1! I started my fight back with filling for FOIPA, contacting NNCP and my congressman. I am also intending to send an expedite request to VSC and the office who interviewed me. As I mentioned earlier, my mother is with me and she a cancer patient that for moral support needs to travel to her other children. I can only apply for her GC once my case is done and hence the urgency as we don't know at this stage about her cancer outcome (we hope and pray that it is completely gone!) Besides, with surgery, hospitalizations, chemotherapy, etc., she needs to get as much support as she can.

I don't know if these people in INS/FBI knows that they are affecting people's lives so negatively and that is also of non-of-our-fault!

Best Regards

genesis1 said:

Thank you very much Genesis. I didn't want to alarm anyone with the statistics that I've mentioned earlier. May be the % provided is not accurate. Some of us take Citizenship interview quite seriously, but some applicants seem to be really careless. I observed people the whole day, sitting in the very first row (right in the middle). There were 3 people that day I saw, who didn't bring their GC. I could see that after the interview when they were asked to surrender the GC before they signed the naturalization certificate, they were asked to bring it another day.

It seems like that background checks are only a minimal % of why people don't get approved. Mostly it's because they haven't submitted enough docs or not bringing GC or failing the history test etc., sometimes the duplicate A# files. The offier said people sometimes get rejected if they applied even 1 day too early.

I also want to tell you that in the afternoon batch I made friends with 4 girls who came there by themselves, just like me. Theirs was so straight forward that they were all out in 5 minutes flat and were approved. From what they told me they were only reviewed based on application and straight 6 questions on history, 1 sentence to write in English and they were given the form saying "Congratulations".

So, if you prepare well and take the required docs for your interview, you should be okay, provided the namecheck or duplicate A files problems are not there.
Good Luck to you!

sFaizullah -
I'm sorry to hear about your case. I hope you are approved soon.

Interview Experience

We had our interview yesterday and were granted Citizenship. Experience was very similar to Amyjar. So I will provide some of the unique details:
We arrived at 1:30 PM for an interview time of 1:33 PM. We were I think the last to arrive.
1. My wife was called first after 45 minutes of waiting and was interviewed in 15 minutes. The key points for her were that we added our newest family member to the application and name change. She was informed that although they changed her name on the GC (Format: Firstname Maidenfamilyname Marriedfamilyname) she would still have to file in US Disctrict court and that can be done as part of the name change process during naturalization. So that was completed.

2. I on the other hand was called nearly as last case of the day at 4:40 PM. In my case here are the special questions asked:
- Have you paid taxes?. I said yes and was about to pull out copies of my returns. The officer said that it was not neccessary and he confirmed I did not owe any back taxes.
- Regarding the question of 'Have been cites, charged...', he asked me if I was arrested. I said that I was cited for speeding and the tickets were listed below. He said people come in far more serious issues. Speeding is nothing. I was about to show him that I have records from the courts that I paid my dues but he said don't worry.

All other things were routine as others have indicated. We both answere first 6 questons correctly and that was it. We wrote simple sentences:
My wife: I like to listen to radio
I: The children want a new television

There were 3 oath cermonies throughout the day. Ours was last at 5:40 PM, so it was cut short with just the oath, details about nat. certificate (do not loose it) and passport. No vedeo was shown. It seems that from Jan. no US citizen can travel even to Canada or Mexico without a valid passport. And you need to apply in person and send in your original naturalization certificate for obtaining your passport. They will return it with the passport.

In fact I did not sign my certificate before the oath because they were not ready with it. So I had the oath and then signed the certificate and was handed it.

Good luck to everyone and wish you all success in the process and a prosperous new year!!

Congrats!! sv2707. Thanks for sharing your experience... it helps a lot.

---------------
PD: 7/11/05
FP: 8/20/05
ID: 2/21/06

Journey Ends

Today we received our US passports. The application was submitted on Dec 2, 2005 and we received our passports today. I would like to thank all who shared their experiences and timelines and made this journey bearable.

I don't know if these people in INS/FBI knows that they are affecting people's lives so negatively and that is also of non-of-our-fault!

They know (I find it extremly hard to believe that they don't) but for sure: THEY DON'T CARE!
Don't hold your hopes high, that the interview officer is going to do anything if you write to him/her, I won't bet that he/she will even respond to your letter.