Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Got the FP notice in the mail

I just recievd the FP notice in the mail. :cool: Now I move into dark side of the Moon (name check.........)

------------------------
12/08/05: Mailed Application
12/12/05: Recieved date
12/12/05: Priority Date
01/18/06: Appt for Finger Printing.

Selective Service and traffic ticket doc for Newark

My interview is scheduled for 2/21/06 and I was going thru the paperwork to make sure I have everything in order.

The interview letter mentions to bring "Any evidence of selective service registration". I was older than 26 years when I got the greencard and before that I was in legal non-immigrant status so selective service registration wasn't required.

I have also received bunch of traffic tickets (speeding etc. No DUI or Reckless driving) between 1991 and 1996 in few states (FL, NY, OH, MI) for which I do not have any documentation and don't even remember the town/county where I got the tickets. All the tickets were paid in full. I have listed them on N-400 with approx dates and location

I remember that few folks mentioned that they had their court records etc for traffic tickets and the interviewing officer did not even look at them saying it is not required for minor traffic offenses.

I got the DMV record for State of NJ listing the tickets and suspension record (which is none)

My questions are:
1. Even though the interview letter is a standard format and doc requirement may not apply to all and I wasn't required to register for selective service, should I still get the letter from selective service?

2. Would DMV record be enough, in case the interviewing officer asks?

If those who recently had their interview at Newark can respond and let us know how if the interviewing officer even asked them about selective service registration and traffic ticket documentation, that'd be great.

Thanks.

Deer
-----------
PD: 7/11/05
FP: 8/20/05
ID: 2/21/06

- SSS Status letter takes about 10 days and you still have time. So go ahead and request it. Send your complete history (copies of I-20s, H-1Bs or like, GC and approval notice)
Indicate clearly the date you received your immigration status and DOB and note that you were past your 26th b'day.

- For traffic tickets, you will need to get a copy of the receipt from the court where you paid the fines. This is tricky, however, if all your tickets are from NJ then you can visit the courts and get it very qucikly. The DMV record is not a very good proof that you paid your tickets or took defensive driving etc.
Of course if they were in other states then if the court records can be accessed online ($$$) then OK, but if not just take a chance that the officer will not ask about them

Thanks SV2707.

Did the officer ask you to provide SSS letter and the traffic ticket info?

My situation is similar to Deer. When I got GC I was 30 years old.

Where can you get SSS letter? Does anyone know a case where it was requested?

Sent N400 on 9/2/05
Notice Date (PD) : 9/6/05
FP Date: 10/04/05

Expecting Interview notification letter in Feb/March 2006
Expecting Interview in April/May 2006

bobpatnj said:
My situation is similar to Deer. When I got GC I was 30 years old.

Where can you get SSS letter? Does anyone know a case where it was requested?

Here is the link to download the form to request the letter:

http://www.sss.gov/FSmen.htm

I am also curious to see if this letter was even asked for during the interview?

Interview Notice Received for myself, but not my wife

I received the interview notice early this month, but my wife is still waiting for hers - we filed our cases and did the finger prints at the same time.

Tracing the case status online, we could find my case status - not updated as it still says "application received on ....", however, www.uscis.gov could not locate my wife case.

Would appreciate if anyone can share if they have similar experience before or if they know the reasons behind the difference between my wife's case status and mine.

Our case details are the following:
Newark, NJ case
PD: 8/19/05
ND: 8/23/05
FD: 9/22/05
ID: 3/2/06

Too early

Wow, I 've been maintaining the database of Newark filers and I see you are the first one to have a processing time of 191 days. The average had been around 225 days. Maybe you should wait a couple of more weeks.

Fingerprinting Done

ND: Nov 14, 2005 (one day after 4 yrs, 9 months of GC status)
FP: Dec 14, 2005

The fingerprinting line was long, although the appt. was for 12pm, I got there earlier and there was no problem in getting in. Took about an hour of waiting, they were playing Little Mermaid, so you may want to take a book/reading material.

Now waiting for the interview date. Looks like it will be in mid June. I have been travelling back and forth from Pakistan a bit (family is there), but have the requisite number of days. Lawyer has advised me to keep proof of residence documents at hand, eg, tax return, lease, bank statements, utility bills. From the interview experiences on this forum, doesnt seem like they check anything as such. The tax return would be the exception to this.

Best of luck to everyone.

Interview Notice

To my surprise I have received Interview notice yesterday. Online status show status changed on 01/10/06 with the message that invalid receipt number (as expected).

Sent N400 on 9/2/05
Notice Date (PD) : 9/6/05
FP Date: 10/04/05
Interview Notice received: 01/13/06
Interview scheduled on: 03/30/2006

No

Deer said:
Thanks SV2707.

Did the officer ask you to provide SSS letter and the traffic ticket info?

Sorry for the late reply:

Actually the officer did not bother to ask for anything.

Incidently, there were postings from some saying that they calculate very closely the 90 days from PR date to be sure if one has applied within it. But the officer did not even mention anything about it. Perhaps they already did their homework. Also at Newark DO they work very hard towards clearing all case for oath that same day.

sv2707 said:

Incidently, there were postings from some saying that they calculate very closely the 90 days from PR date to be sure if one has applied within it. But the officer did not even mention anything about it. Perhaps they already did their homework. Also at Newark DO they work very hard towards clearing all case for oath that same day.

Got the Interview letter for me and my wife, on Friday , 1/13.

PD:8/19/05
FP:9/28/05
ID: 3/21/06

sv2707 said:

Thanks sv2707. I already sent the request form to SSS (just to be on the safe side). As far as traffic tickets go, I will take with me as much docs as possible. I called the municipal courts and some of them said they don't have any records as the tickets were back in 1999, 1994.

paging genesis1...

Genesis1,
If I remember correctly your interview is scheduled around this time (23rd??).

Good luck to you and please post your experience once you are done.

-----------
ID: 2/21/05

Good Luck Genesis

Genesis
Good Luck for your interview. Expecting a successful interview post from you in detail. :)

About Selective Service Registration

I just can't understand so many of you applying to get a letter from SSS. What is wrong with you people???? :mad:
In the N400 form it asks: "Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?". If you did not get your GC before your 26th birthday you were a nonimmigrant and therefore SS registration does not apply to you. Is that clear?

Beware: good comprehension of English is required for citizenship. By producing this letter you are saying you didn't understand the SS registration requirement correctly.

sam

p.s. while I'm ranting away in anger here :) I might as well ask something else that bugs me: do any of you actually, personally know somebody who was asked to account for his/her traffic tickets at the interview? Or is it just one more paranoid belief that we should "just be safe" and account for everything? Speeding tickets and the like are minor violations (what the law calls "infractions"). USCIS only cares about crimes and offenses (e.g. DUI, hit-and-run, etc.) that reflect on good moral character.

Over and out

Completed my citizenship process yesterday at Newark. Parking directions from Amyjar were good. The only downside is that someone stole my car's hubcap in the lot!!
The interview was straightforward. The guy went through the application and asked only name, date of birth, are you married, how many children etc. No questions on the violations, offences etc. He didn't even bother to check for travel outside the country after application(I had been out twice). He just ticked all the items on my application and made me sign off at the end. Questions
1. What is the constituition?
2. How many stripes on the flag
3. How many voting members in the House of Reps
4. Presidents house
5. How many branches of the government?
6. How many terms can a senator be elected.

Oath was at 1.30PM and they tried to accomodate almost everyone in the morning session interviews. Newark is pretty efficient in this process.
I tend to agree with sam c above. The tickets for speedinge etc are a total non issue as far as Newark is concerned. It is a waste of time listing them in the application as they don't care about it. I know another family who had interview last week and this was not even mentioned by any officer interviewing 3 of them.

Made my passport aplication at the North Brunswick township office - expedited fee.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Congratulations!

Congrats! Genesis1 and thanks for posting your experience.

-----------------
ID: 2/21/06