Newark - Interview Descheduled - Twice???

amann

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I had an interview scheduled for end of August...It was descheduled a few days before the interview....subsequently, I got a new appointment letter for an interview for 2nd week of September....that was also descheduled...I have not heard anything from the Newark DO for the almost 2 months (after the second descheduling letter dated Aug 9)..

I went for an Infopass appointment 10 days ago....they said they do not know whey it was descheduled...and that I just need to wait....for how long...? they cannot say...

They also confirmed my name check and FP check has been cleared long ago...

Any insights about this behaviour from Newark DO...? Has this happened before...? What should be my next step....other than simply wait...

Vorpal...other senior folks...your inputs are appreciated....

Thanks.

This is a rather unique situation. I believe that this is the first time an interview was descheduled twice. Since your background checks have been completed, my bet is that it's a dual/multiple A-file issue.

Can you please post your timeline?

My timelines are as follows:

Sent N-400: 05/19/08
Recd by VSC - 05/21/08
PD: 05/22/08
FP: 2nd week of June 08 (dont remember the exact date now)
1st Interview Letter received: 1st week of July 08 (for interview dated 08/25/08)
1st Descheduling letter received: 3rd week of July 08
2nd Interview letter recieved: end of July 08 (for interview dated 09/18/08)
2nd Descheduling letter received: 08/09/08

Infopass: 09/23/08

The only issue with my application is that I wrote an addendem saying the corporation of which I am the President was late in filing a state corp return due to a CPA error...Is this what could be holding up the app...?

I am not sure how I have dual / multiple A files....I came to the US on an H1-B visa 8 years ago...subsequently became a US permanent resident (thru employer sponsored GC)....and since then doing working in the same industry as a self employed IT consultant...

My timelines are as follows:

Sent N-400: 05/19/08
Recd by VSC - 05/21/08
PD: 05/22/08
FP: 2nd week of June 08 (dont remember the exact date now)
1st Interview Letter received: 1st week of July 08 (for interview dated 08/25/08)
1st Descheduling letter received: 3rd week of July 08
2nd Interview letter recieved: end of July 08 (for interview dated 09/18/08)
2nd Descheduling letter received: 08/09/08

Infopass: 09/23/08

The only issue with my application is that I wrote an addendem saying the corporation of which I am the President was late in filing a state corp return due to a CPA error...Is this what could be holding up the app...?

I am not sure how I have dual / multiple A files....I came to the US on an H1-B visa 8 years ago...subsequently became a US permanent resident (thru employer sponsored GC)....and since then doing working in the same industry as a self employed IT consultant...

I doubt that the late payment of your corporate taxes will have any effect on your N-400, let alone cause it to be descheduled. In fact, I remember your original posts about the CPA error. You shouldn't have listed it at all, since the USCIS is only concerned with personal taxes, but it's not the end of the world.

It's possible (although not very common) to have dual A-files. In your case, it could be one for H1-B and once for GC. Again, this is pure speculation on my part, as there's no rhyme or reason to why the USCIS does what it does.

Since USCIS is only concerned with Personal taxes....and with my mentioning that the corp filed a state return late...can they still hold that against me...

Is it also possible that they might be investigating into all my personal and corp returns for the last 5 years...I have no issues with that as my personal returns have always been filed on time...and so has the corp returns(with an exception)...

Thanks.

Also, what can be done to know the reason behind the descheduling...

If it is indeed a dual / multiple A-file issue...how long is that wait going to be....and what can be done about it....

Thanks.

I agree with Vorpal that you need not have mentioned CPA error and delay related to your corporate tax return since USCIS is only concerned with your personal tax returns. Now that you have mentioned it in your N-400, get the return and account transcripts for the corporate also just in case they ask you in the interview. The error and delay might have resulted in IRS penalties, in which case the account transcript woud be a conclusive evidence that the corporation has paid it and does not owe any taxes.
As for the descheduling of the inerview it looks like an administrative matter. Hope you get it scheduled soon.

Before I filed the N-400, I spoke with several immigration attorneys and most of them advised me to mention the late corp return...to be on the safe side..

Now after 4 months of analysing this whole thing....I realize that 90% of the immigration attorneys in the market are quacks...

Thanks.

Also, what can be done to know the reason behind the descheduling...

If it is indeed a dual / multiple A-file issue...how long is that wait going to be....and what can be done about it....

Thanks.

If it's the A-file issue, there's no telling how long it'll take. I've seen reports of similar deschedulings where it took anywhere from 4 weeks to several months. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about it.