New York SESA Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
ks1974, I like your idea of 'public awareness'. The general public might care two hoots about the 'green card' problems but believe me, the DOL will not like to see it's name mentioned in the papers. That too if it's name is mentioned in not too glorious terms. Any institution doesn't like 'negative publicity' and public scrutiny. Another thing to mention in the 'letter' is that illegal immigrant apps are screwing up the legal immigrant's life. The 'illegal' issue is a big one nowadays (even in the calif recall) and that might propel this to national visibility too. That's the last thing DOL wants and any mention in a local paper will be enough to get it scrambling into action.

Another BIG thing, and one that should be done no matter what, is to open up the DOL account books. I want them to explain why they are 'understaffed' inspite of the flood of applications.

About the money, not a bad second option, but personally I wont give a penny either. Every labor app does come with a fee of $1000 (more or less), so I don't see any need for extra money.

Maryland Thread

In reference to sankat mochan reply on maryland thread i was able to find something in regards to that. Please see below about the post. May be sankat was talking about this.

Responce from MD State
Dear Friends,

I am sorry for not responding to some question directed to me, as I was on travel.

Our represenations regarding the delays in MD Sate Labour Processing caught the attention of MD state Legislative office.
Below is the responce I received form Mr. Dilip B. Paliath, Legislative Officer to the Governor.

Let me know if you have any ideas about the next level followup process

Thanks, rsiv

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your e-mail to Mr. Dilip Paliath, the Governor’s Legislative Officer, regarding labor certification for employment-based immigration. Mr. Paliath forwarded your e-mail to me and asked that I address your concerns.

The Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation shares your concerns and understands your frustration with the length of the labor certification and immigration processes. Your correspondence indicated that you had a general knowledge of the problems caused by the implementation of the amnesty provision under the LIFE Act. However, not being aware of the specifics of the labor certification process in the State has led to your perception of Maryland being at a “stand still.” Let me assure you that this is not the case.

The nature of the problem is a bureaucratic snag brought to us by changes at the federal level in 2001; reductions in funding at the federal level and the required federal processes related to completing each Foreign Labor Certification (FLC) request.

Foreign Labor Certification is a complex process. Although we have streamlined the federal mandates to the State, we must adhere to the principles of the United States Department of Labor policies, regulations and procedures. Cases are required to be processed according to their date of receipt by the FLC unit. When the LIFE Act granted amnesty in 2000, Maryland experienced a major influx in the number of labor certification applications. Our customary caseload of 2200 – 2400 applications per year was increased to over 16,000 in the six weeks from March 15, 2001- April 30, 2001. Over 6,000 cases arrived on April 30, 2001, the final day of the initial amnesty period. This is what is giving you the perception that we are at a stand still.

Comparisons to other states dates of processing, without awareness of their caseload and staff levels, do not give an accurate picture. Eight states, of which Maryland is one, have over 95% of the national backlog of 250,000 – 300,000 cases that came in during the amnesty period.

We are working aggressively to decrease the backlog; however, the 16,000 applications received in 2001 are more than six times our annual average. This combined with no additional resources to handle the amount of work resulted in a large backup. Our staff continues to work diligently; since April 30, 2001 we have processed over 6900 labor certification applications; our program administrator has moved staff to assist with FLC, we have requested additional federal funds to clear the backlog. To assist in the clearance of the backlog I have authorized the transfer of additional staff to the unit.

Your suggestions were thoughtful and we appreciate them, but they pertain to policy beyond our scope of authority. We will be glad to forward them to the United States Department of Labor.

The impact the delayed processing of these applications has on lives of various individuals and business is of mutual concern. Every effort is being made to ensure we obtain resources to continue making reductions in processing time.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to my attention. The Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation looks forward to an expeditious resolution to this adverse situation.

Sincerely,

James D. Fielder, Jr., Ph.D.
Secretary

Cc: Mr. Dilip B. Paliath, Legislative Officer to the Governor

This is getting out of hand, the guys in Maryland is wondering from where did NY thread got this information since they could not find it in thier threads

W H A T A F U N ?

hahaha

Actually I joined the Maryland thread way after they posted this message. Anyway I browsed and noticed it was posted on 19th July in the Maryland thread.:cool:

Re: Contractors - some good news - not so good

Just wanted to let you know that the deadline was extended from October 27 to December 12.

But what would we know about delays....

Originally posted by JustWatching
I had heard rumors that contractors would be hired to help out with the backlog based on an assessment PWC had done.

I found the RFP that DOL sent out on September 5th for such contractors. The due date for submission is October 27th.

I was not able to find the date on which contracts will be awarded. Based on some notes I read on the RFP I assume it will be sometime later this year. DOL also expects the entity that is awarded to be operational within 30-60 days (at least that is what I understood).

It also says that two processing centers will be setup with approximately 100 staff each to help process cases.

Other important facts I was able to get from the document:

- Approx 300,000 case backlog in the entire country.
- A couple notes stating that PERM is expected to be implemented in early 2004.

The RFP can be found at:

http://wdsc.doleta.gov/sga/rfp/rfp03-43.asp

news

Hi,

The labor of a person in my company was approved this week. His priority date was 31st May 2001(EB3 RIR). I don't know how and why this happened. I called up labor dept and asked about the same but they had no reply for this. The labot dept said they are still processing april 30th.

Any thoughts??

Thanks a lot , JustWatching. I'll take it from here ... It'll be a long process, but I'll get some answers from somebody as to why there were no additional resources provided when it was clear that the number of applications was beyond what could be handled by the regular staff. I'll let you all know when (and if) an article is published in the Daily News.

If you get to know any more contacts, in New York or nationwide, to whom I can write to about this issue, do keep posting it over here.

If you guys can provide me with comprehensive letter , I might be able to submitted to Time magazine

Media Attention

It's good to get attention through print media, similarly it will be wonderful if we get some TV visibility. Is there anyone with some connection with cable or network media companies??? How about the Lousiana India Origin Gov candidate(Republican). Anyone knows him? I heard he is been nominated for India Abroad person of the year award. May be he may do something for agonised indians like us.

Hi,

I actually did call them yesterday but they gave me the same response that they are still processing april 30th and it will take them 6 months to finish it.

It is practically waste of time to call them.

Originally posted by araina77
Hi,

I actually did call them yesterday but they gave me the same response that they are still processing april 30th and it will take them 6 months to finish it.

It is practically waste of time to call them.

That is f*ing weird. I am seriously debating if this whole GC from NY itself is a waste of time.

IS THERE ANYONE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THIS OR NOT ?

Last edited by a moderator:
ITS USLESS TO WAIT FOR NY L/C

GUYS

LET ME TELL YOU VERY HONESTLY THAT ITS ABSOULTELY USELESS TO WAIT FOR NY L/C . THEY HAVE 400000 APPLIACTION FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL 30TH ........................

THEY NEED ........................................ NUMBERS OF YEARS TO PROCESS IT .......................

A LOT OF MY FRIENDS APPLIACTION HAS BEEN LOST BY NY L/D

NO USE OF INCLOVING MEDIA NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN

GUYS TRY TO FIND SOME EMPLOYER FROM SOME OTHER STATE

Hi tanveer45,

I am not sure where did you get the 400,000 number from!!!, since the official number of USA back log LCA is 300,000 across United State, so 400K on one office and for one month is little bit over !

Guys, we should not lose our temper specially if we do , we will gain nothing, nothing going to change.

Here is the number

I was told by Labor dept that the total number of applications filed from jan 2001 to april 30th 2001 was about 40,000. I don't know how true that is.

tanveer, it seems to be your personal opinion to run to another state ... you're welcome to try it... let us know how it goes.

ahalem, you're right, we shouldn't lose our temper. But we should lose our 'we're helpless' attitude and try to question people and make people accountable.

Sorry guys, I'll try to come up with the letter this w/e ... been kinda busy.

Subbu

The Numbers

Based on the analysis that PWC did, there were 53,000 cases in 2001. 39,000 claims were before and up to April 30, 2001 and the remaining after that.

You are right 300,000 backlog nationwide.

Here is the logic for hope (and before anybody wants to get all rattled up, NOBODY really knows what is going on in there)

NY Labor Certs are turned around at about 1,500 month. I took them about 6 months just to file all the April submissions.

That means 2 years have gone by since they started processing April 2001 cases. They should have processed 36,000 cases by now.

Obviously it is hard to guess if that is really what they have done, but this would indicate they have a couple more months to go.

Now, I KNOW BETTER THAN TO PREDICT when they will finish with April 2001...all I'm saying is the end is probably near.

Good luck to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.