New York SESA Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
waitingforgc04 said:
Guys:
Has anyone received the 45-day letter yet...?
Any estimate (JustWatching) when we can start getting these letters..?

Things look slow...

Any idea what impact will PERM have on ppl like us waiting for over 3 yrs to get out Labor cleared..??

Good Luck..
----------------
PD Feb'15'2002

I still think NYers will start seeing letters the second week of April.

If you stick with your existing LC, PERM should have no impact on your LC.

The sticking point is that especially for the oldest cases, your approval is "near" (relatively speaking) so why convert to PERM. But then, you find yourself waiting for 6 more months and wondering why you didn't convert when you had a chance.

PERM does however open the possibility to go find a new employer and have them file your PERM. This would allow you to keep both old LC and new PERM and pick whichever comes first.

A positive note, is that I-140 at VSC is flying, they have now reached December 2004 (not a typo) cases so step 2 is currently very quick.

Even I-485 has now reached January 2004 cases

waitingforgc04 said:
Guys:
Has anyone received the 45-day letter yet...?
Any estimate (JustWatching) when we can start getting these letters..?

Things look slow...

Any idea what impact will PERM have on ppl like us waiting for over 3 yrs to get out Labor cleared..??

Good Luck..
----------------
PD Feb'15'2002

I sent an email to Dallas Backlog center and got a response back of Not Yet Assigned - My PD is Jan 2002

I really wish this is true but how come Vermont 485 processing jump from October 2003 :
http://www.immigration.com/processing-times/vt08feb05.pdf

To Dec 2004 : http://www.immigration.com/frame/eprocessingtimevtfr.html
in less then month , that has to be typo.

Again i wish if it is true :)

JustWatching said:

The sticking point is that especially for the oldest cases, your approval is "near" (relatively speaking) so why convert to PERM. But then, you find yourself waiting for 6 more months and wondering why you didn't convert when you had a chance.

PERM does however open the possibility to go find a new employer and have them file your PERM. This would allow you to keep both old LC and new PERM and pick whichever comes first.

A positive note, is that I-140 at VSC is flying, they have now reached December 2004 (not a typo) cases so step 2 is currently very quick.

You are right , my bad :) ,but i wish if it happened :)
JustWatching said:
Actually I-485 jumped from October 2003 to January 2004 in one month (not to December 2004 - that was the I-140)

JustWatching said:
Actually I-485 jumped from October 2003 to January 2004 in one month (not to December 2004 - that was the I-140)

It is good that I-140 and I-185 processes are moving faster but we should not bank on them as DOL speeds up the process for LCs. I would imagine that would negatively impact I-140 and I-485.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the following interesting text in a forum (unfortunaley the resource was not mentioned):

According to the AILA, the status of current processing of backlog cases at the Dallas and Philadelphia Backlog Processing Centers is as follows:
Total number of cases received from the state offices: Over 180,000.
Total number of cases completed data-entry: Approximately 86,000. Plans to complete the data-entry for all cases by the end of summer 2005. After data entry is completed on all cases, the workers would move over to processing.
Total 45-day letters issued: Over 40,000.
Timeframe for review of cases by contractors: Contractors are currently being trained. Once data entry is completed on all cases, they would move over to processing of applications.
Processing standards: They will apply the standards of each Region rather than national uniform standards. Therefore, the variance in recruitment requirement and other standards among the previous 6 Regions will be preserved.
FIFO rule: Uniform national queue regardless of the occupations.

FIFO rule: Uniform national queue regardless of the occupations.

Oberton , JustWatching , do you know if that include one Queue for RIR and none RIR , also for Regional and state cases or its multi queues

Oberton and ahalem

Oberton - the update you posted is from an actual AILA document.

ahalem - I would like to believe 2 queues, 1 for RIR, 1 for non-RIR, and processing by PD regardless of where it was transferred from Regional or SWA.

But...

Even if there are two queues: 1 for RIR and 1 for non-RIR, nothing would stop them from moving all resources to work on one queue so while there may be a logical separation of queues since they will be borrowing from the same pool of resources, physically it's almost like on queue.

And...

processing by PD regardless of origin is MY OPINION, there is a lot of arguing on this subject.

more info from immigration.com

Backlog Reduction Center Updates (BRC) – 03/08/05

Number of applications shipped from SWAs to the BRCs

Attached is the news.
Any insight from the gurus .......?

---------------------------
A little over 180,0000 applications have been shipped from SWAs to the BRCs. About 86,000 applications have had data entered into the new database systems and about 40,000 45-day letters have been sent out from the Center. Approximately 300 withdrawals have been logged through February 2005.

Atlanta and Chicago will continue to process temporary work only. They are in the process of shipping all other cases to BRCs and there are about 10,000 cases.

Number of contractor personnel at each BRC site

There are around 100 hired or trained contractor personnel at each site. These contractors have begun to review cases and DOL is training them. The satellite offices - New York, Boston and San Francisco will continue to process the cases they have until January 2006.

Current projection for backlog reduction

If DOL has enough resources the current projection for backlog reduction would be 24 to 30 months.

Data entry in all cases is anticipated to finish by the end of summer 2005 with the help of additional resources from DOL. Once the data entry is over, workers will start processing cases.

hey guys,

- what are these satellite offices - New York, Boston and San Francisco ? what they do ?

- "Data entry in all cases is anticipated to finish by the end of summer 2005" does that mean no cases will be processed before that ?

Thanks for your input

Leaving the firm

Justwatching,

couple of questions: I don't understand what you meant when you said "PERM does however open the possibility to go find a new employer and have them file your PERM. This would allow you to keep both old LC and new PERM and pick whichever comes first." How is this possible? Once you find new employer your old LC case is dropped, no? noone will respond to the 45-day letter from your employer1, or employer1 will just tell DOL that you no longer work there.

Which brings me to my next question: Once I pass labor (I'm Nov 27, 2001), and, let's say, pass I-140 (since it seems it's only several months), can I leave my firm and, either join another one, or go back to school? I know I'll get the work permit, but some people I spoke to suggested NOT to leave the firm until you get the actual GC and finish that TAX cycle?
I, however, know someone who did quit 6 months after the LC and still got his GC.
In your opinion, how safe is this? I'm kind of in jeopardy, I'm stalled with my firm, and I'd like to move on and either get a better job or go back to school.
Thanks a million.

JustWatching said:

ahalem said:
hey guys,

- what are these satellite offices - New York, Boston and San Francisco ? what they do ?

- "Data entry in all cases is anticipated to finish by the end of summer 2005" does that mean no cases will be processed before that ?

Thanks for your input

1. NY DOL and Boston DOL will finish processing their local cases and then will be given access to BEC database to support processing.

2. No, it means they will finish data entry in the summer. Processing has already begun, HOWEVER! since we have not seen anything approved/denied I think they are either doing extremely low volume or they are processing but have yet to send out determinations.

zgubi said:
Justwatching,

couple of questions: I don't understand what you meant when you said "PERM does however open the possibility to go find a new employer and have them file your PERM. This would allow you to keep both old LC and new PERM and pick whichever comes first." How is this possible? Once you find new employer your old LC case is dropped, no? noone will respond to the 45-day letter from your employer1, or employer1 will just tell DOL that you no longer work there.

Which brings me to my next question: Once I pass labor (I'm Nov 27, 2001), and, let's say, pass I-140 (since it seems it's only several months), can I leave my firm and, either join another one, or go back to school? I know I'll get the work permit, but some people I spoke to suggested NOT to leave the firm until you get the actual GC and finish that TAX cycle?
I, however, know someone who did quit 6 months after the LC and still got his GC.
In your opinion, how safe is this? I'm kind of in jeopardy, I'm stalled with my firm, and I'd like to move on and either get a better job or go back to school.
Thanks a million.

1. Labor certification (under current system or PERM) can be done without you working for the company sponsoring you. So you could ask a company to process PERM for you without actually joining them. If your PERM then gets approved, that's when you switch.

2. You can leave your current employer and continue your existing green card process after your I-140 has been approved AND 6 months have passed since you filed for your I-485. You would have to find a similar job to be able to conitnue your green card so going back to school would not be an option at that time.

General rule of thumb is to stay with the GC company for at least 6 months after you get GC so you don't have any problems when you try to get citizenship. This is just guidance, it is not written anywhere that you have to do this.

JustWatching said:
1. Labor certification (under current system or PERM) can be done without you working for the company sponsoring you. So you could ask a company to process PERM for you without actually joining them. If your PERM then gets approved, that's when you switch.

2. You can leave your current employer and continue your existing green card process after your I-140 has been approved AND 6 months have passed since you filed for your I-485. You would have to find a similar job to be able to conitnue your green card so going back to school would not be an option at that time.

General rule of thumb is to stay with the GC company for at least 6 months after you get GC so you don't have any problems when you try to get citizenship. This is just guidance, it is not written anywhere that you have to do this.

I beg to differ on point 1. Under PERM the beneficiary has to join the firm before the LC process can be started.

Opened cases are also shipped to BECs?

From Murthy Bulletin:

The DOL indicates in the February 16th memos that, as of February 4, 2005, approximately 25 SWAs had shipped more than 90,000 cases to the BPCs. Labor certification applications with SWA receipt dates of 2003 and 2004 are scheduled to arrive at the BPCs by March 31, 2005. A third shipment of cases was added to be sent to the BPCs by April 22, 2005. This will not only include all labor certifications properly filed at the SWAs in 2005, but also cases opened by the SWAs that are yet to be completed. The DOL anticipates that no labor certification cases should remain with the SWAs after April 22, 2005.

It's contradictory to the fact that all opened cases will be processed at SWAs and DOL. Any comments?

Thanks.

It means cases filed in Oct, 2001, that SESA once thought that they will be able to work on these, will also goto backlog centers. I wonder what part of the queue they will land into : front or back in FIFO style.

What will happen NEXT..?

Guys,
Once PERM starts approving cases...will these ppl have the oppurtunity to file there I-140 and get that queue clogged also.

Why I ask this is if we are NOT going to see our cases approved soon....then once the PERM cases come thru, will they start clogging the I-140 queue, before we get to apply there...

JustWatching, do you have any ideas on this..? I guess/hope the PD factor should play in here and we should be able to get our I-140 cleared before the guys who get there Labor cleared thru PERM..?

Am I making sense...I guess this whole situation has left me paranoid..? and I am resorting to "you cannot get something before me, since I have been waiting for sooooooooooo long"..!!

Please share your views..

----------------
PD:15th'Feb'02

priority dates just moved by one month

The visa bulletin just updated .seems like they are moving month for each month

Status
Not open for further replies.