New York SESA Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts and comments on latest news

This looks promising. Thank you GOD_BLESS_YOU for the information. My summary:

****For labor certifications currently pending:****

- Two waves of transfers to backlog centers will occur, one in October 2004 and one in January 2005. All transfers to be completed by March 2005.

- The first wave will address the states with the oldest cases.

- Applications will be processed by ORIGINAL date of receipt regardless of original geographical location.

- Applications that are already in process will NOT be transferred

- By early October 2004 a SWA transfer schedule would be created (So I assume they have this by now).

- MY CONCERN: There is a statement in the memo that reads: "ETA anticipates that by March 31, 2005, all State Workforce Agency (SWA) backlogged permanent labor certification applications will be either transferred to one of the new backlog centers (Philadelphia or Dallas) OR ASSIGNED TO FOREIGN LABOR CERTIFICATION STAFF IN AN ETA FOREIGN LABOR CERTIFICATION OFFICE (New York, Boston or San Francisco) FOR COMPLETION OF PROCESSING.

This last statement makes me a little nervous making me wonder if the New York applications will get transferred to the New York Office (i.e. NY Regional DOL). This however would contradict the earlier statement about oldest cases being transferred to the backlog centers first. I guess we will have to wait and see.

****For future labor certifications ****

- If PERM is published,

--SWAs will continue to accept labor applications under current system for 61 days after the published date.
--After that all apps will be PERM format.

- If PERM is NOT published.

-- SWAs will continue to accept labor apps under current system

-- If received before January 1, 2005 they will process.

-- If received after January 1, 2005 they will only stamp them and forward them to Atlanta or Chicago centers for processing.

Hi JustWatching,

From your comment ,do you mean that the first wave of cases got transferred to these centers on this months, this mean our cases ( NOV , DEC 2001 ) must got their too ? correct ?

LABOR CERTIFICATION CHANGES -- New Guide lines -

DOL National Processing Centers and Backlog Elimination Centers Operation Guidance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10/20/2004: DOL National Processing Centers and Backlog Elimination Centers Operation Guidance
AILA has released the DOL Memo of September 29, 2004 to give guidance to the State labor certification offices (SWA) on the changes of operation of permanent labor certification application in connection with the launch and operation of the Backlog Elimination Centers (BEC) in Philadelphia and Dallas and the National Processing Centers (NPC) for the PERM in Chicago and Atlanta. The Memo indicates that the BEC has gone into operation since the beginning of the FY 2005, October 1, 2004, and the NPC will go into operation by the end of the year, December 31, 2004. The Memo indicates that these new national processing system of the permanent labor certification applications will be in place regardless of the PERM Program which is currently stalled at the White House for the OMB Review.

Timeline-Cutoff Date: (1) If the PERM regulation is released by the White House and published by the DOL, the current labor certification system including RIR will be ceased "60 day" from the date of the release of the regulation. Should this happen, the labor departments will not accept old labor certification applications and the state offices will be phased out when it comes to processing of the permanent labor certification applications from the date. This timeline implies that assuming that the PERM regulation will be released right after the national election, unless the employers are ready to file RIR applications within the next two months or so after completing the recruitment, it will be too late for them to file the applications under the labor certification system. (2) If the PERM regulation collapses due to the disagreement by the White House, the DOL will continue to operate the permanent labor certification system under the existing rule but under the completely different processing system as follows. The cut-off date is January 1, 2005.
New Permanent Labor Certification Processing System: Permanent labor certification will be totally converted into a "national processing" system effective January 1, 2005 and the state offices will be phased out as of January 1, 2005 in a manner which is described below. Conversion into the national processing system will bring about a steeper change than the simple change of processing agency in that the permanent labor certification applications will be processed under the "uniform" national queue regardless of the locations and under the rule of the "FIFO" ( First In First Out) regardless of the locations. Accordingly, the NPCs and BECs will process the cases in the order of the priority date of each application no matter where the case was filed. This change will result in some big consequencesto the labor certification waiters: The oldest backlog cases will be processed first regardless of the locations. This inevitably forces the DOL (NPC and BEC) to focus on the cases which are pending in certain locations such as San Francisco and big 10 states where there are a huge number of backlog cases going back to years and years. The big losers will be people in those states who enjoyed prompt processing until now (mostly small states) such as New Hemphshire, Vermont, Maine, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, etc. Since the labor certification will be processed under a uniform "national" processing schedule on a FIFO basis, the people in these states will witness negative changes in the processing times.
Processing Changes and Timelines: The current Regions and State Offices will be gradually phased out as follows:
The State offices will cease to take a new permanent labor certification applications effective January 1, 2005 regardless of the PERM program.
Until January 1, 2005, the State Offices will take new cases under the existing labor certification regulation.
If the State Offices complete processing of certain cases and are ready for forwarding to the current Regional Offices for certification before the end of the year, they are required to forward the completed cases to the current Regional Certifying Officers as they did it in the past.
If the State Offices opened the cases but were unable to complete processing of the opened cases by December 31, 2004, they are required to continue and complete processing of such cases and forward such cases for certification not to the Regional Certifying Officer but to one of the NPC in Chicago or Atlanta.
If the State Offices have cases which were received but unopened or processed, such cases are required to be transferred to the BECs in Philadelphia and Dallas under the following schedules:

10/1/04: Large number of oldest cases will be transferred to the BEC from San Francisco.
Early October - End of October 2004: The oldest cases from other Regions and States will be transferred to the BEC.
January - March 2005: Rest of the backlog cases will be transferred to the BEC (Philadelphia, Dallas) or the Regional Offices in New York, Boston, San Francisco.
Under the schedules, only "unopened" cases are allowed to be transferred to the BEC. Consequently, "opened" cases will be kept being processed by the State Offices even after March 2005.

The new system is equitable and admirable in the sense that it totally eliminates inequity and unfairness that have existed until now depending on where an immigrant goes through the labor certification process. It will, however, be taken by some people in certain states as a shock. Life changes.

SOURCE:
http://www.immigration-law.com
Click on Breaking News and scroll down...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Department of Labor to Change Labor Certification Processing in Fiscal Year 2005, Whether or Not PERM is Passed

The Department of Labor (DOL) has been talking about implementing PERM, or the Program Electronic Review Management System, since early 1999. Ever since DOL conceived of the PERM program, it has been promising that regulations would soon be promulgated to implement PERM. It was not until 2002 that DOL finally published proposed PERM regulations. It was thought that shortly after they were published, DOL would publish a final rule implementing PERM. It is now 2004 and still no final rule has been published.

At this point, the final PERM regulations are expected to be published by the end of calendar year 2004, and should be operational within 60 days of their publication. However, given DOL’s track record with implementing PERM, this may or may not happen.

When the final rule is published on PERM, it will streamline Labor Certification processing. In an effort to move toward that goal of streamlining Labor Certifications, even in the event that a final rule is not published, the Department of Labor has come up with a contingency plan that will change Labor Certification processing from a state-federal system into a federal system during FY 2005. This plan will only go into effect in the event that the PERM regulations are not published.

The Assistant Secretary for Employment and Training, Emily Stover DeRocco, issued a memo to State Workforce Agency Administrators apprising them of the plans to streamline Labor Cert processing during FY 2005. The Transition Guidance memo does not explain how PERM will change Labor Certification processing. Rather, the memo explains that even if the PERM regulations are not adopted by the end of the calendar year, the Department of Labor will make changes to streamline Labor Certification processing. It details those changes.

Following are highlights from the memo. For more information, read the memo.

1. SWA’s will be responsible to accept Labor Certification applications, but will no longer be responsible for processing the applications.
2. Labor Cert. processing will shift from the SWA’s to a centralized federal location where federal and state processing will be consolidated.
3. The Department of Labor will establish Backlog Elimination Centers in Philadelphia and Dallas, and Labor Certification applications currently pending at the Federal level will be processed by the Backlog Elimination Centers. They will eventually handle backlogs from the SWA’s as well.
4. National Processing Centers will be established in Atlanta and Chicago where all applications (except for those processed through the Backlog Reduction Centers) will be processed. The national centers should be operational by the end of this year.
5. After January 1, 2005, if PERM is not published, the SWAs will continue to “date stamp” and log in any Labor Certs they receive for processing. They will then forward the new cases to the new Atlanta or Chicago National Processing Centers for adjudication.
6. The SWA’s will continue to be funded through FY 2005 to coordinate this transfer of cases to the federal processing centers, as well as to provide prevailing wage determinations (including for the H-1B program).

In short, this means that even if PERM is not passed, the Labor Certification processing procedures will be totally different starting on January 1, 2005. Labor Cert processing will be administered entirely by the federal government which, in theory at least, should cut down on the processing time. One definite result of these changes will be to introduce uniformity in Labor Certification processing times across the country. No longer will people in places like New York and Washington D.C. have to wait 2+ years for a Labor Certification approval while people in Boston and Denver only have to wait 2 months.

SOURCE:
http://www.usvisahelp.com/nw_vol3_iss12.html

Last edited by a moderator:
ahalem said:
Hi JustWatching,

From your comment ,do you mean that the first wave of cases got transferred to these centers on this months, this mean our cases ( NOV , DEC 2001 ) must got their too ? correct ?

Well, I think cases are in process of being transferred.

I also think that our cases were close to being processed by SWA so as I mentioned if they began processing our cases they are not going anywhere.

Then there is that statement about transferring not only to backlog centers but to selected regional offices.

So, in a few words, I have no idea what is going to happen to our cases.

If they publish (when they publish) the transfer schedule that will help.

Thank God

JustWatching said:
Well, I think cases are in process of being transferred.

I also think that our cases were close to being processed by SWA so as I mentioned if they began processing our cases they are not going anywhere.

Then there is that statement about transferring not only to backlog centers but to selected regional offices.

So, in a few words, I have no idea what is going to happen to our cases.

If they publish (when they publish) the transfer schedule that will help.
I hope everything will be all set one question even if the perm is going to come ineffect we won't be seeing any more cases approving in this end portion of the year or will it continue the way it is going on and from next year perm will come in effect.

Please clear this if you can justwatching

Best Regards

New processing technique and New Endless wait

Guys,
If DOL will implement the way they have advised, Cases like mine will be buried in National processing. Since I will have to wait for all those before me in queue at national level instead of just NewYork. Plus they did not specify how it will affect RIR cases that means if regular and RIR considered same, I can not think how many more cases I will have ahead of me.
I guess this means 2 to 3 years more F**** wait.

I am retarded by this defunc Agency.

PD - 15 Nov, 2002

Thanks
EastWest

saburi said:
I hope everything will be all set one question even if the perm is going to come ineffect we won't be seeing any more cases approving in this end portion of the year or will it continue the way it is going on and from next year perm will come in effect.

Please clear this if you can justwatching

Best Regards

The State offices will cease to take a new permanent labor certification applications effective January 1, 2005 regardless of the PERM program.
Until January 1, 2005, the State Offices will take new cases under the existing labor certification regulation.
If the State Offices complete processing of certain cases and are ready for forwarding to the current Regional Offices for certification before the end of the year, they are required to forward the completed cases to the current Regional Certifying Officers as they did it in the past.
If the State Offices opened the cases but were unable to complete processing of the opened cases by December 31, 2004, they are required to continue and complete processing of such cases and forward such cases for certification not to the Regional Certifying Officer but to one of the NPC in Chicago or Atlanta.
If the State Offices have cases which were received but unopened or processed, such cases are required to be transferred to the BECs in Philadelphia and Dallas under the following schedules:
10/1/04: Large number of oldest cases will be transferred to the BEC from San Francisco.
Early October - End of October 2004: The oldest cases from other Regions and States will be transferred to the BEC.
January - March 2005: Rest of the backlog cases will be transferred to the BEC (Philadelphia, Dallas) or the Regional Offices in New York, Boston, San Francisco.
Under the schedules, only "unopened" cases are allowed to be transferred to the BEC. Consequently, "opened" cases will be kept being processed by the State Offices even after March 2005.

It's not that simple...

eastwest said:
Guys,
If DOL will implement the way they have advised, Cases like mine will be buried in National processing. Since I will have to wait for all those before me in queue at national level instead of just NewYork. Plus they did not specify how it will affect RIR cases that means if regular and RIR considered same, I can not think how many more cases I will have ahead of me.
I guess this means 2 to 3 years more F**** wait.

I am retarded by this defunc Agency.

PD - 15 Nov, 2002

Thanks
EastWest

Actually, you are probably overreacting.

There are today only 8 states today with processing dates older than November 2002 (your PD). You would be ahead of everyone else

The states are: DC, Indiana, Arkansas, NY, Maryland, NJ, Washington and Oklahoma.

Remember there are two, backlog centers so geographically chances are:
DC, Arkansas, NY, Maryland and NJ would be going to one backlog center. You would have to wait for NY backlog regardless.

So you are down to DC, Arkansas, Maryland and NJ getting ahead of you. Now remember there is more staff at the central processing center than at NY SWA and Regional. Also remember that both current SWA and Regional processes will happen at the backlog center making the process more efficient.

So bottomline, under your current situation, you probably had another 16 months to go. I doubt it will take the backlog center to get to your case.

Oh, and they did specify about Regular and RIR - they said they would follow existing protocols

Well

JustWatching said:
Actually, you are probably overreacting.

There are today only 8 states today with processing dates older than November 2002 (your PD). You would be ahead of everyone else

The states are: DC, Indiana, Arkansas, NY, Maryland, NJ, Washington and Oklahoma.

Remember there are two, backlog centers so geographically chances are:
DC, Arkansas, NY, Maryland and NJ would be going to one backlog center. You would have to wait for NY backlog regardless.

So you are down to DC, Arkansas, Maryland and NJ getting ahead of you. Now remember there is more staff at the central processing center than at NY SWA and Regional. Also remember that both current SWA and Regional processes will happen at the backlog center making the process more efficient.

So bottomline, under your current situation, you probably had another 16 months to go. I doubt it will take the backlog center to get to your case.

Oh, and they did specify about Regular and RIR - they said they would follow existing protocols

Well

Just watching one question for you, when do you estimate with all this changes i will be getting my labor certification approved from DOL .

Just to take some quick idea.

MY Date of filing in the NY STATE is 12/06/01.

Please advice

Best Regards

Oh....

saburi said:
Just watching one question for you, when do you estimate with all this changes i will be getting my labor certification approved from DOL .

Just to take some quick idea.

MY Date of filing in the NY STATE is 12/06/01.

Please advice

Best Regards

Well, here is my logic

1) DC, Arkansas, NY, Maryland and NJ get transferred to backlog center

DC - April 2001
Arkansass - July 2001
New York - October 2001
Maryland - April 2002
New Jersey - May 2002

2) Cases entered to CAPS (the new system) - 1 month.

2) DC, Arkansas processed to catchup with New York. I can't believe there are large number of case in those two states. I think it will take a couple months to catch up. - 2 months.

3) Now those three states continue to move together. To get to December 2001, probably one month - 1 month.

So your case: 4 months i.e. Certified February 2005.

Thanks Justwatching

Thanks for your help justwatching. I hope that is the case, since I am running out of patience,

Hope Nov 2nd brings us some good news.

Thanks
EastWest

I am sorry guys, I think i missed that, what will happen in Nov 2nd ?

eastwest said:
Thanks for your help justwatching. I hope that is the case, since I am running out of patience,

Hope Nov 2nd brings us some good news.

Thanks
EastWest

This means Novamber Cases ( yours and mine ) will be processed 3 months from now instead of one month using the current system, but at least no waiting for 6 months on DOL level.

so 2 persons applied in Nov 2001, one might get apporval by DEC 2004 and the second by April 2005 "current system"

Well As you mentioned before : no idea what is going to happen to our cases.

JustWatching said:
Well, here is my logic

1) DC, Arkansas, NY, Maryland and NJ get transferred to backlog center

DC - April 2001
Arkansass - July 2001
New York - October 2001
Maryland - April 2002
New Jersey - May 2002

2) Cases entered to CAPS (the new system) - 1 month.

2) DC, Arkansas processed to catchup with New York. I can't believe there are large number of case in those two states. I think it will take a couple months to catch up. - 2 months.

3) Now those three states continue to move together. To get to December 2001, probably one month - 1 month.

So your case: 4 months i.e. Certified February 2005.

backlog centers OR selected regional offices.

Just Watching,

Thanks to you for a great analysis .
Regarding the following statement

"Then there is that statement about transferring not only to backlog centers but to selected regional offices."

I think in the notiifcation they are talking about 2 scenarios-
1) when cases have not been opened by the SWA, they will be transferred to the backlog centers.
2) when cases have been opened by the SWA , it will go through normal processing and it will go to the regional office.

Either way by March 2005 SWA will not be processing any applications.That is what I think they are trying to say.

So if indeed they act to the letter and start transferring cases in Oct 2004 and the current processing at SWA is Sep maybe Oct

Cases filed in
Oct 2001 - Normal Processing
Nov 2001 - Maybe Normal Processing , but a good chance of them going to the Backlog Centers.
Dec 2001 and Beyond - Backlog Elimination Centers.

Reality

Also remember that the SWA is supposed to be processing applications till Jan 2005.

So iwhat is likely to happen is that the SWA will keep some applications(Oct and possibly some November) to process till Jan 2005 and transfer the remaining to the backlog centers.

srikums said:
Also remember that the SWA is supposed to be processing applications till Jan 2005.

So iwhat is likely to happen is that the SWA will keep some applications(Oct and possibly some November) to process till Jan 2005 and transfer the remaining to the backlog centers.

It could also be that they are going to transfer cases in batches so for EXAMPLE - just and EXAMPLE

Oct 2001 - January 2003 transferred in October 2004
February 2003 and beyond in January 2005.

so until we see the transfer schedule it will be hard to tell.

DOl Website got updated today

Guys !!

DOL has updated its website and our friends at NYSESA are still stuck with October 2001. :eek:

They have been on October 2001 for past 2 months now. Not likely they will be able to clear October 2001 by end of this year given their speed and efficiency !!

GOD BLESS PEOPLE WORKING AT NY SESA

Status
Not open for further replies.