New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Missing documents

Hi everyone,

I've applied for citizenship in mid August 2011 (5yr residence). Fingerprints were taken in mid September. Now, I'm to be scheduled for interview.

I'm little worried about the upcoming interview. That's why I came to this forum.

I know that I need to bring certain docs to the interview. I didn't work for 2 yrs, so taxes were not filed (there was nothing to file). During that period I was a full time student. My parents (live in my home country) and my boyfriend (here in the US) was supporting me financially.

Another problem is that I don't have an apartment lease. For the last 4 years I've been renting a room in a brownstone from a very nice family. I found them via Craigslist. We agreed that I would pay "month to month", and I could stay there as long as we don't have problems. All utilities are included also. The price is good, and the family has been nice to me. It's extra cash for them, and they specifically asked me not to disclose that I pay them rent. I guess they should report it as income, but they don't. I have that address on my drivers license, and I also receive my mail there.
How am I present all that to an IO when asked about taxes, and apartment lease with statements? Can they deny my app because of that?

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

DO: NYC (Federal Plaza)
5 years based N400
08/21/11 - sent to Lewisville, TX
08/27/11 - paper NOA received
09/02/11 - FP letter received, scheduled 9/20/2011
09/20/11 - FP done
09/21/11 - placed in line for interview scheduling
10/25/11 - YL State ID

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I've applied for citizenship in mid August 2011 (5yr residence). Fingerprints were taken in mid September. Now, I'm to be scheduled for interview.

I'm little worried about the upcoming interview. That's why I came to this forum.

I know that I need to bring certain docs to the interview. I didn't work for 2 yrs, so taxes were not filed (there was nothing to file). During that period I was a full time student. My parents (live in my home country) and my boyfriend (here in the US) was supporting me financially.

Another problem is that I don't have an apartment lease. For the last 4 years I've been renting a room in a brownstone from a very nice family. I found them via Craigslist. We agreed that I would pay "month to month", and I could stay there as long as we don't have problems. All utilities are included also. The price is good, and the family has been nice to me. It's extra cash for them, and they specifically asked me not to disclose that I pay them rent. I guess they should report it as income, but they don't. I have that address on my drivers license, and I also receive my mail there.
How am I present all that to an IO when asked about taxes, and apartment lease with statements? Can they deny my app because of that?

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

DO: NYC (Federal Plaza)
5 years based N400
08/21/11 - sent to Lewisville, TX
08/27/11 - paper NOA received
09/02/11 - FP letter received, scheduled 9/20/2011
09/20/11 - FP done
09/21/11 - placed in line for interview scheduling
10/25/11 - YL State ID

During the interview (personal experience), IO didn't ask about lease. As long as you have ID to identify your current address. (has to be same as the one you filed on your application). You will be fine with that. I wasn't asked about any utilities bills.
Taxes, you have to have it for past five years. Even u didn't file for any in past two years, i recommand you obtain some kind of proof from IRS. I was asked about my tax returns druing the interview, and some questions about tax returns.
Just be claim and honest, you will be fine.

I am scheduled for interview in Holtsville, NY for 12/12/11 at 8am. Does anyone know if Holtsville does same day Oath? If not, is the oath also administered at Holtsville or in NYC?

had interview at holtsville today. passed. very nice officers. My spouse had interview for next day, but we asked if we could have both our interviews today instead. The officers accommodated us so that we didn't have to return for a second visit. Very helpful. Holtsville gives oath letters on the same day up to about 1pm or so. You can request to have your oath near you (Brooklyn or Manhattan) instead of going back to Holtsville. Very pleasant experience today at Holtsville.

Oath Ceremony tomorrow!!!

Just wanted to share that after a very long journey my oath ceremony is scheduled for tomorrow!!! I'm so happy and can't wait for wednesday to arrive ;) I'm pretty sure I won't be able to sleep at all tonight and I will be an emotional wreck, sure to shed tears of pure joy!

Officially a US Citizen!!!

I took my oath yesterday and I can proudly say I am finally a US Citizen!! It was a beautiful and well organized ceremony for about 120 people. Words can't describe the feelings I had when my name was called out and was given my certificate. It has been a long journey full of obstacles but at the end my dream finally came a reality!! I will forever be grateful to this great nation for welcoming my family and I helping us achieve yet another American Dream :)

Thanks everyone and the best of luck to all!!

and here we go

and here we go

N-400 (5 YEARS)
12/27/2011 - MAILED TO TX
12/28/2011- Received

so is New York City taking an average of 6 months?

Citizenship: New York City - N-400 Timeline

had interview at holtsville today. passed. very nice officers. My spouse had interview for next day, but we asked if we could have both our interviews today instead. The officers accommodated us so that we didn't have to return for a second visit. Very helpful. Holtsville gives oath letters on the same day up to about 1pm or so. You can request to have your oath near you (Brooklyn or Manhattan) instead of going back to Holtsville. Very pleasant experience today at Holtsville.

Rejoining on this forum. I had earlier filed my N-400 and was denied. It was NY City. Now I have again filed and it appears it will be listed for interview in Long Island New Office at Holtsville. I filed N-400 on October 22, 2011 and completed my Fingerprinting in Hicksville, NY. Now the status changed on November 28 and it shows it is in line for scheduling for interview.

From your post I find it is taking around 5-6 months - very long. Other centers/jurisdictions are taking just 3-4 months. It means they have a long list of pending cases.

Please post your experience.

Thanks

NRI107

From your post I find it is taking around 5-6 months - very long. Other centers/jurisdictions are taking just 3-4 months. It means they have a long list of pending cases.
Please post your experience.
My experience with Holtsville was 240 days (7-8 months) from file date to oath date. Check trackitt for other people's timelines. I think NYC Federal Plaza filers are taking 5-6 months.

N-400 (5 YEARS)
12/28/2011- Received
1/03/2012- Check cashed
1/04/2012- I-797C Notice of Action Received
1/06/2012 FP Notification Notice Date
XX/XX/2012 FP Notification Received

any updates of how slow is NYC with interviews? 4-5 months?

Did walk-in FP at NYC today, 2 days before my appointment, because of work. I had no problems at all. Got done in 15 min.

any updates on other NYC filers?

N-400 (5 YEARS)
12/28/2011- Received
1/03/2012- Check cashed
1/04/2012- I-797C Notice of Action Received
1/06/2012 FP Notification Notice Date
1/17/2012 FP DONE WALK-IN

Hi tipotodo,

I've done my walk in FP yesterday 01/18. Our cases look very close to each other.

Have you seen any status change after your FP?

N400 (3 Years)
DO: NYC Queens
01/04/2011 - Received Dallas, TX
01/09/2011 - Check Cashed
01/12/2011 - Notice of Action Received
01/14/2011 - FP Notice Received
01/18/2011 - FP Done Walk-In

Brooklyn Court- Oath

Did oath today at Brooklyn Federal Court. Because the Oath letter said to arrive promptly at 830am, i arrived about 8:05am , and there was about 100 people already in their seats. People continued to arrive until about 9:30am, at which point we all handed in our green cards and reviewed the information on our certificates. After that was completed, there were some documents distributed regarding registering to vote, and passport applications. At about 10:15am, all the busy work was done, but the judge was absent. So we had to wait in our seats until about 10:55am when the judge finally arrived to give a 2 minute speech. Then a court employee said the Oath and we repeated it. This employee was terrible, as her ability to speak english was very low. I could not understand much of what she said and i am a native english speaker. I thought that it was very disrespectful that the oath was so mangled. Thank goodness i had memorized the oath beforehand and so i didn't have to rely on the employee's 'version'. Quite frankly, few people in that court room actually repeated the oath properly as they all could not understand what the court employee was saying. In addition she was also very rude. After the stating of the oath, our certificates were distributed and we all left at around 11:10am.

There was nothing special about the ceremony at all. I felt like it was a two-bit operation from a dysfunctional little country. The staff were highly unprofessional and rude. People were arriving late, wearing hats in the court, babies crying, some people even missed the actual oath as they were in the restroom. The judge was very late and didn't apologize that she kept over 250 people waiting unnecessarily. It certainly was vastly different experience than the excellent service i experienced from the USCIS staff at Holtsville.

just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on becoming a citizen!!!! too bad the ceremony was not done professionally, as we have to wait so long to get there and pay a lot of money too. but its over!

anyone applied for passport recently

I applied for my US passport on 01/17/2012 , just wanted to find out the time lines from who have already got their passports.. I applied routine through the post office...how much time does it take to get the checks cashed ? any insight will be appreciated

My oath ceremony was 12/21/11 and I applied for my passport the very same day (applications were being accepted on site). I received an email the passport was issued and mailed out 1/5/12, it arrived 1/17/12. Super smooth and easy process.

My oath ceremony was 12/21/11 and I applied for my passport the very same day (applications were being accepted on site). I received an email the passport was issued and mailed out 1/5/12, it arrived 1/17/12. Super smooth and easy process.

Thank you.. do you remember how many days did it take to get your checks cashed ?