New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

That's good news (for us non-Manhattanites)!

It's a mistery that I still have to solve.
We live in Soho, literally 10 minutes walking from 26 Federal Plaza.

Needless to say, our AOS interview was in Garden City.

I bet my citizenship interview will be in Garden City as well.... :(

Ok, guys. The sample letters sticky has been setup so you can start writing letters to everyone in the US GOVT.- Just download, sign and send, the more the better. This thread can be, fed with many other sample letters. :rolleyes:

It is unacceptable that if you live in Manhattan, they send you to Garden City, and then tell you they can't give an oath, bcs you don't live there. :eek:

What about other DO's around the country. What, they have the same story :confused:

Come on, this is totally the most absurd thing I ever heard.- :mad:

Did you get fingerprinted by USCIS in the last 15 months for something else? (For example, greencard renewal.) If so, they're probably running those. Call the customer service number. Tell the first person you get that you haven't gotten your fingerprint notice yet and ask to be transferred to an immigration officer at the second level. They have more information and will be able to tell you if they're using older fingerprints or if a notice has been sent (and you haven't gotten it yet).

Thank you sh1996. I haven't given my fingerprint past 7 years to USCIS. But I was asked for fingerprint for the first time at the airport security when I come back to the US the beginning of this week(I heard this is new) but I don't think there is any link. I called customer service and the lady said she will send a request for checking status and somebody will get back to me by March 7th. I will contact agagin and ask for immigration officer the next time. Thanks!

Service Area for Garden City

On the USCIS website under Local Office Detail, it states that the Garden City Field Office serves the following counties: Kings, Nassau, Queens, and Suffolk counties.

So, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Staten Island residents might also be excluded in getting a same day oath letter.

For those who live outside the Garden City service area, how long did it take to get the oath letter after the interview?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the USCIS website under Local Office Detail, it states that the Garden City Field Office serves the following counties: Kings, Nassau, Queens, and Suffolk counties.

So, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Staten Island residents might also be excluded in getting a same day oath letter.

For those who live outside the Garden City service area, how long did it take to get the oath letter after the interview?

Kings County is Brooklyn.

And for the rest, Fed Plaza has been giving out same-day oath for a while (not to everybody though)...

Kings County is Brooklyn.

And for the rest, Fed Plaza has been giving out same-day oath for a while (not to everybody though)...

Thanks for that information about Kings County. I'm not really familiar with Brooklyn.

I meant the ask for those who live outside the Garden City service area, how long did it take to get the oath letter after the interview at Garden City?

Thanks for that information about Kings County. I'm not really familiar with Brooklyn.

I meant the ask for those who live outside the Garden City service area, how long did it take to get the oath letter after the interview at Garden City?

4/5 months. But nobody is really sure what's going on. Or why :confused:

Wassup everyone.. I'm new here.. Been reading this forum for about a month now...
Lots of good info in here...
I will be sending out my N400 application next month...
Lets see how that goes...

Hi Everyone,

I have gotten some great advice from this thread and I wanted to post my time line. Thanks to you all.

N400 filed St Albans VT
NOA: 06/23/2008
FP: 10/01/08 - Woodside, NY
IL:12/22/2008
ID: 02/10/09 (Federal Plaza, I live in Queens)

interview experience at federal plaza

hi everyone,

i am new here and i have come across a lot of good stuff. i should have read items on this forum before going for my interview. anyway it is not too late since i have benefited a lot from what i have read so far and i have been able to ease my anxiety a little bit.:)

i had my interview on the 01/21/2009 at federal plaza. my apointed time was 10:25. I got there at 10am went through security formalities, and went to the 7th floor. iwas directed to window 52. i gave my letter out to the lady there and she gave me a form to complete ie to select what type of question i would like to answer. new or old.
after waiting for two hours i was finally called to window one. i met this lady who greeted ne nicely and led me to here office. i was nervous and this lady realised it and started smiling. she told me to relax. my file was on her table. she opened the file, scanned the bar code and looked on her computer. i do not know what for. she then told me she would start with the civic question.i got all the first six right so she stopped. she then dictated a sentence for me to write. i remember the sentence was "i have a big house". after that she asked me to read a three sentence paragraph.
she wrote pass besides the paragraph, the sentence that i wrote and the questions that i answered. From here she went through my N - 400 application with me check for any mistakes. there were none. she then made me to sign my photographs, and another sheet of paper with my information on it. the information looked like the information to appear on the nat. cert.
she then printed the form n-652 with tickings on "you have passed the test of english......
on the second section she ticked A.. congratulation....
she then told me to expect a oath letter in the mail in a couple of weeks.
this is the third week so far no oath letter.
anybody who had his/her interview on the same day?
any way my timeline

N400 - NYC DO
N 400 SENT 08/23/08 VERMONT NEXT DAY MAIL
NOA: 08/27/08
PD : 08/25/08
FPAPP: 09/05/08
FP: 09/20/08
IL : 11/18/08
ID: 01/21/09 - FEDERAL PLAZA
OD:###### 00/00/09

she then told me to expect a oath letter in the mail in a couple of weeks.
this is the third week so far no oath letter.

ID: 01/21/09 - FEDERAL PLAZA
OD:###### 00/00/09
It's the third month since my initial interview and 1 month since my followup interview and there is no oath letter yet.

I never knew receiving tax transcripts would be so difficult. So, my wife is trying to receive her last five years tax transcripts but every time we try ordering them over the phone it says: "We are unable to order tax transcript for year 2XXX." The only tax year it allowed us was for 2006, so this morning she went by the IRS office on Fulton Street, where people were lining up from 7AM (the office opens 8:30AM) and after 2 hours she was told that she could not receive them immediately, so she will have to go back on the 24th.

I am going to follow Bobsmyth and have her fill out another 4506-T and mail it just in case they screw up at the office.

VSC - NEW YORK Septembr/08 - ?????

Just turned to 5th month of my application and took so long to receive IL-ID. Maybe it is because VSC. Any comment from u guys if u have similar cases or not? I asked to a lawyer and he said u should receive IL in this month (Feb, 09). Please advice guys?

VERMONT SERVICE CENTER / NEW YORK - BROOKLYN
Sent N-400 09/15/2008
NOA 09/25/08
FP notice 10/17/08
FP Date 11/1/08 Done at CIS BROOKLYN
IL: xx/xx/09
ID: xx/xx/09
OL: xx/xx/09
OD: xx/xx/09
PP: xx/xx/09 (applied)
PP: xx/xx/09 (received)

Hi Everyone,

I got my interview letter last week and the interview is in Garden city on March 23rd. My application is marriage based, I didn't know we were required to bring some of the documentation.

My spouse and I have been married since 2003 and when he relocated here, he was born here but grew up outside the US. When he came we started to live together and then got married in 2004. Just before we got married, he got admission to a school in Chicago and we both decided for him to go and then I would join later. I ended up not relocating because it was hard to get a job and we felt it's better to finish in IL and move back to NY.

After we got married, I changed all the utility bills (Coned and Verizon) to my married name and didn't bother putting his name on it. We also had a joint account in BofA while I was working there but after I left I cancelled the aacount and continued with my previous bank accounk that I always had.

When we went for our GC interview, we took thebank statements and bills that had only my married name, the bills didn't have his name as he was in school in another state. We also showed them ticket stubs for flights and greyhound that we take back and forth during school term.

I use to have him on my life insurance(it was fully paid for by my company) and health insurance when I had a permanent job in 2005 but I've been mainly doing contract jobs so we never bothered with any kind of insurance.

After going through most of the interview experience here, I'm kind of lost as the only thing we have is that we file our taxes together and we take xmas trips together to my home country (where his parents are from and where he grew up).

Right now, I'm unemployed and he is in school finishing this year, what do we do? I am really stressed out right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bim.

N-400:NYC DO
08/29/08: PD
09/29/08: FP
01/26/09: IL Rec'd
03/23/09: (Federal Plaza)

Interview Experience at Garden City:

Hi,

I am very near to finish my citizenship process and want to thank you all users to provide very informative support. I had my interview at Garden City on first week of February. All went smooth. Office just asked me the current marriage certificates nothing else. he did not even asked me tax transcripts for last 5 years. I was based on 5 years residency. After interview officer asked me to sign on form and photos. I asked him to provide me oath letter, which he turn out and told me that you will get it in mail very soon. He also mention that do not worry and you will be citizen by end of February.
Luckily I got my Oath letter in 3 days after my interview. I have oath on 25th February at IsLip, which is just 15 miles away from my home. I am providing my dates for other to estimate their case. Anyone have any experience for Oath at Islip?

Thank you
Priority Date: 06/03/08
Finger Print Letter: 06/16/08
Finger Print Date: 06/24/08
Interview Letter: 12/18/08
Interview Date: 02/03/09
Oath Letter: 02/06/09
Oath Date: 02/25/09

I never knew receiving tax transcripts would be so difficult. So, my wife is trying to receive her last five years tax transcripts but every time we try ordering them over the phone it says: "We are unable to order tax transcript for year 2XXX." The only tax year it allowed us was for 2006, so this morning she went by the IRS office on Fulton Street, where people were lining up from 7AM (the office opens 8:30AM) and after 2 hours she was told that she could not receive them immediately, so she will have to go back on the 24th.

I am going to follow Bobsmyth and have her fill out another 4506-T and mail it just in case they screw up at the office.

I'm assuming for tax year 2006, she was the primary taxpayer. If you were the primary taxpayer you have to dial using your SSN#. Hope that helps

Just turned to 5th month of my application and took so long to receive IL-ID. Maybe it is because VSC. Any comment from u guys if u have similar cases or not? I asked to a lawyer and he said u should receive IL in this month (Feb, 09). Please advice guys?

VERMONT SERVICE CENTER / NEW YORK - BROOKLYN
Sent N-400 09/15/2008
NOA 09/25/08
FP notice 10/17/08
FP Date 11/1/08 Done at CIS BROOKLYN
IL: xx/xx/09
ID: xx/xx/09
OL: xx/xx/09
OD: xx/xx/09
PP: xx/xx/09 (applied)
PP: xx/xx/09 (received)

It seem as if the NY DOs timelines have improved because I see people here who applied in August and they have already been interviewed while my wife applied last year (July 25) and will be interviewed the 2nd of March. Hopefully, you will receive your IL.
I'm assuming for tax year 2006, she was the primary taxpayer. If you were the primary taxpayer you have to dial using your SSN#. Hope that helps
Thank you very much. I used my SSN and it went through fine. Just to confirm: does she ONLY need FEDERAL tax return transcripts or should we include state as well?