New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

thanx rick
actually moved at the end of May, since at my interview on 04/03/2008, the IO told me to bring him the evidence so i could have the oath letter immediately, but whatever, things changed not under my control.
so what if i change the address when i do my infopass? i don't really care about some delays as longer as they send me the letter this year be4 the election.

aint post office forward all the mails to my new address? the point now is, i think the mailman might not deliver the mail to my pervious address since i don't even receive my monthly cell phone and bank statement, i go back there to check the mail frequently with my roommate. and i have to say the mail man there was so mean, i lived they for at least one year, however, he still marked on my mails as"put your name on the mail box" i was like WTF u deliver my mail for 1 year. so what will be the worst thing if the post office send the letter back to the USCIS???

i know the oath letter will be sent by the local office(Garden City? I guess), however, will the IO at Federal Plaza see the same letter from their computer? I got my copy of IL from the last infopass since the IO printed for me just in case, will it be the same???

please, anybody, give me more advice, thanx a lot

First things first, they hassled you over a PARKING TICKET???? The USCIS never ceases to amaze me. This is all the more reason to keep quiet about tickets if they don't fall into the DWI/DUI/reckless driving/over $500 category.

As far as your oath letter goes, if it has already been issued, then the IO at Fed Plaza will be able to see it on their computer and print it out for you.

When you went back with the proof of payment, did the IO approve your case? If yes, did he/she give you a form stating that you've been approved?

hey Vorpal

I know you are right with those ticket things, even the check list comes with the IL says that also, I don't understand why the IO wanted those. the hotline of Department of Finance stated that inspection and registeration tickets are considered as parking tickets and of course that's under $500,

yes, the IO issued me the 2nd N-652 form dated 06/02/2008 with his name and box A is checked (Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval. At the time, it appears that you have established your eligibility for naturalization. If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath Ceremony.), also another box is checked( Do not wait for the letter you will be notified by mail)

There's always been an ongoing debate about whether or not to disclose traffic tickets on the N-400 and/or at the interview. I didn't disclose them on my N-400, but changed my mind after joining this forum. A couple of months ago, the debate flared up again, so I called the USCIS and inquired about the guidelines of disclosing traffic violations on the N-400. The rep read from his computer that non-DUI/DWI/reckless driving violations under $500 do NOT need to be disclosed. As a result, I changed my mind again and decided not to disclose any of my traffic tickets. However, since I already obtained proof of payment, I'll bring it to my interview, in case the IO specifically asks about traffic violations.

As far as your ticket goes, was it a yellow ticket or a white ticket with an orange envelope? If it was the white ticket, it was a parking ticket and you shouldn't have disclosed it at all. There is most definitely a general consensus about not having to disclose parking tickets.

Since your application was approved on June 2, my guess is that your oath letter should be arriving very shortly. Another member of this thread (frannod) had a similar situation where it took about 5 weeks for the OL to arrive.

The post that follows yours answered my unasked question. I too was wondering if I could vote across party lines. I was under the impression that whichever party you selected when you registered to vote, you have to vote for that party. Makes my decision easier. I too will be registering as an independent. Not sure who will be getting my vote in November.

Didn't you find oath schedules for Brooklyn? I know a lot of people who took their oath in Brooklyn. I live in Queens and was hoping they would send me there, but guess not.. As for NYC Oath backlog, no idea. it still goes to say, based on your comments in this forum that it takes 2 months from interview date to oath date. I had my interview on May 21, Oath is scheduled for July 29, close enough..

I have several friends and acquaintances who registered for one party and voted for another. Besides voting for one's own party in a primary, there are no restrictions that I am aware of.

As far as oath schedules go, I did a quick Google search and found an interesting NY Times article from March 2007. The article states that oaths at the 2 Federal courts in NYC (Manhattan and Brooklyn) are held on an "almost daily" basis. The article can be found here, if you're curious: http://www.nysun.com/new-york/citizenship-ritual-may-be-ended/49623/

The Manhattan court, located at 500 Pearl St., has an oath schedule posted on its website: http://www1.nysd.uscourts.gov/part1_crim.php

The Brooklyn court, located at 225 Cadman Plaza East, has a Naturalization page on its website, but no schedule. It states that oath ceremonies take place "several times during a week". http://www.nyed.uscourts.gov/General_Information/Naturalization/naturalization.html

There is also an oath ceremony at 26 Fed Plaza, but I have yet to find a schedule for it.

I'm not too sure if there is, in fact, an oath backlog, or if it takes 2 months from ID to OD. I know a couple of people who got their OLs right after their interviews and had their oaths 3 weeks after. All I know is that I'll try to request a quick oath. I won't hold my breath, though.

just wanted to share something i figured out: nyc is processing any dates they want and inorder for you to complain or even get mad is only when ur date is past the DO date on the uscis.gov site..but before that u cant do anything about it u cant request u cant demand u cant fuss..they can send u the IL letter before the shown date on their DOs processing on the site but up untill they pass ur date on the site nothing is going to happen by requesting anything.am i wrong or did you guys already figure this out way before me??

We knew this already. :)

I don't know exactly how disorganized their interview queue is, but the processing dates posted on their website are "grossly inaccurate", as stated by an immigration attorney named Ron Gotcher. Take a look at his blog here: http://immigration-information.com/forums/blog.php?b=11

This link has already been posted by jefkorn, but I figured I'd repost it again.

Typically, the USCIS will not investigate the reason for your case's delay until it's 30 days outside of the posted processing time. Even if this happens to your case, their "investigation" will be limited to opening a service request. However, if you get a decent IO on the phone, they may be willing to open a service request for you even if you are within the posted processing times. This happened to me last May.

Anxiously waiting for oath letter

Hi,

I was interviewed at Federal Plaza on 6/18. IO was pretty nice. However at the end I was asked to bring the following documents:
1. 2007 tax return (we filed for extension this year and he said receipt of extension application would be fine).
2. Life insurance listing spouse as beneficiary (my GC was based on marriage to citizen. Our child was born just a few weeks prior therefore birth certificate still not ready at the time of interview. We do have joint account and filed tax jointly though.)

IO said there is nothing wrong with my case. He will approve it once he gets the above documents. I asked him if this would delay my oath ceremony he said no. I told him that I will submit the documents to the office the next day. He said ok.

The next morning I went to Federal Plaza and handed my 2007 tax stuff, W-2 and life insurance policy to a lady at the window on 7th floor. In the afternoon I was actually able to get my child's birth certificate from the office therefore went back to Fed Plaza and handed in a copy at the window as well (good thing is birth certificate office is right across the street from Fed plaza).

Then it's the anxious waiting... Right now what worries me most is that I moved to a new address two weeks after the interview. Although I forwarded my mails but who knows. I filed address change online the day I moved. But just now I read on USCIS website that for pending N400 case one still needs to call 800 number which I will do tomorrow. I wanted to make infopass appt and check to see if the oath letter was indeed mailed out already. However when I tried to do it online it says there is currently no service in your area. I tried different zip codes of manhattan and different reasons but nothing worked. :confused:

I guess I am probably being anxious over nothing as it hasn't been a month yet since interview. Should I just go there and check anyway if I am able to make an infopass appt? :rolleyes:

-----------------
Timeline:
2/27/08:N400 received by VSC
2/29/08:Check cashed
3/7/08:Received receipt and finger print notice (in separate mail)
3/17/08:Finger print
4/21/08:Received interview notice
6/18/08:Interview at Federal Plaza

hi vorpal,
By traffic tickets,do u mean moving violations or does it include parking tickets also ? I think my driving record is clean as I donot drive much. Is driver abstract sufficient to prove once record ? Does driving abstract shows all tickets including parking? I have ordered my driver abstract and expecting it to be empty. I guess I will find out.

Pay close attention: DO NOT REPORT PARKING TICKETS!!!:D

A few days ago, a user named nycjordankix posted an interview experience where he reported parking tickets and was asked to show proof of payment. As I've mentioned in my response to him, while there are constant debates on this forum regarding traffic tickets, no one is debating the fact that parking tickets don't need to be mentioned. The traffic violations bureau does not deal with parking tickets, which are relegated to the local financial authorities (in NYC's case, this would be the NYC Department of Finance).

Now that we got that out of the way, let's talk about traffic tickets. If you don't have any moving violations, there is no reason to even bring your driver abstract to the interview. You will not be asked to prove that your driver record is clean, unless you disclose traffic tickets. In many cases, even if you disclose traffic tickets, the IO will not ask you for proof, since no proof of payment needs to be provided for non-DUI/DWI/reckless driving offenses under $500. I've posted previously about a conversation I've had with a CSR on the 800 line. I asked him specifically whether traffic violations should be mentioned on my N-400. He searched his system and read to me that traffic violations that don't fit the above criteria don't need to be mentioned. Henceforth, I am not mentioning any of my traffic violations.

thanks vorpal for clarification. I would be stupid to volunteer info like that.
However, can interview officer check driving records if they suspect that a person verbal answer of NO is not believeable? I mean if they have to check for everything, then no application will be processed on interview day. Everybody will be told to wait for approval in the mail.
Its only when we mention something in our application or in the interview that the IO officer will inquire about.
Today I looked closely at the application to see what is the source of traffic violation questions . Questions in section "good moral character " are extremely broad and one has to be careful answering them. I guess the source of the traffic violation question is question 16 . "have you ever been ....... cited .... by any law enforcement officer ".

The USCIS will not check your driver records. DUI/DWI/reckless driving are different from other traffic violations, because all 3 offenses are misdemeanors in most, if not all, states. A misdemeanor, unlike a basic traffic violation, is a criminal offense, which is why the USCIS is concerned about those. From what I've seen on this forum, the IO will not specifically ask you if you've had any traffic violations. If you answer "NO" to the "have you ever been cited" question, the IO will move on to the next question.

Hi all,

I am new to the website; I just found about it. My interview is scheduled for Garden City for 7/23 (next Wed). I am pretty excited since I waited for a long time.

What should I expect next week during the interview? Also can someone explain what is an infopass interview cause it seems I need to request that after my interview? I really would like to be able to register to vote this year and vote for the presidental election. Is there anything I can do to expedite the next steps?

If there is anything else I should know or bring for next week, please do let me know. I am feeling a bit nervous and overwhelmed right now.

Thanks,
Ashwini

Welcome to the forum, Ashwini. Congratulations on your upcoming interview! I strongly suggest bringing with you all the documents listed in this thread: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=197782

It may seem like overkill, but the IOs can ask you to provide documents that are not listed in the document checklist that was enclosed with your interview letter. It's a lot better to overprepare with the documentation than to go to the interview and receive a letter requesting additional documentation before a decision can be made. If you can't gather all the documents listed in the above-referenced thread, gather as many as possible. More likely than not, you won't be asked for any of them, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

An InfoPass appointment (it's NOT an interview) is, as the name so aptly suggests, an appointment you make to speak with an immigration officer at your local district office to obtain information about your case. For instance, if your case is approved at the interview, and you haven't received an oath letter after 3 months, it's time to schedule an InfoPass appointment and find out what's causing the delay. Other than begging, there isn't much you can do to expedite the scheduling of the oath ceremony. Most likely, begging won't work either, but it's worth a shot!

It appears that NYC is currently taking anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks between interview and oath, provided your application is approved. Considering the fact that the voter registration deadline for the upcoming election is October 10, I think you'll have plenty of time to register.

Most importantly, take a deep breath (or a few of them) and relax! Review the 96 questions, collect as much supporting documentation as you can, and arrive to the interview on time. You'll do fine!

Thanks for your response, Vorpal. Do you know if I can bring my friend or spouse in there with me during my interview. I am sure I can handle it but it will help with all the butterflies in my stomach.

I don't know how quickly I can get some of the material for my interview next Wednesday from the thread you posted...

Passport - I am also having an issue with not having my passport which I guess is the major reason for my anxiety.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=278962&highlight=passport+interview
Won't they need to match up my passport with visits out of the country. I haven't been out of the country in the last 8 years.

Driving Record - I guess I need to go to DMV

Letter from Employer - I can ask but *sigh* they are slow

Tax Records - I have the last three but the two before that I have no idea where it is

Birth Certificate - I don't have one in my posession; I was born in India and have always struggled with this

Educational Records - what are they looking for? transcripts? I have been out of school for 15 years!

---
Do I sound like I am in trouble in terms of documentation?

1. Bring your old passport(s) and explain the situation if the IO asks you to produce the current passport. I don't think it'll be an issue.

2. A letter from employer is not necessary. You can skip that step.

3. Bring whatever tax records you have. Unless your application is marriage-based, or the IO suspects tax fraud, you will most likely not be asked to show your tax returns. Still, make sure to bring the ones you have with you, as there's no way to tell what the IO will ask for.

3. Birth certificate - since you are a GC holder, they will have a copy of your BC on file. This is not a very crucial document to have with you, but it's good to bring along nonetheless. I haven't actually seen too many reports where an applicant was asked to show his/her BC, unless there was a discrepancy in the spelling of the applicant's name.

4. Educational records - not necessary in your case. Since you've been out of school for 15 years, you should bring employment records instead (i.e., pay stubs, W-2, etc.).

5. Driving record - only bring this if you've had traffic tickets that you have either reported on your N-400 or are planning to report during the interview. Otherwise, it's not necessary.

Vorpal:

No I do not have any criminal convictions, no traffic violations, nothing. I did travel to the Bahamas a week before my interview for a week but that was all. My officer was very rushed with me, she kept saying she needs to look over my application and does not have time and it was almost 5pm. So i signed my photographs and another paper to state all the information is correct and then she rushed me out.

I asked her when I should hear something and she said within a month. It has been more than a month and nothing.

Also, I obtained my green card through marriage to a US citizen.

Time line:

11/7/07: N400 Mailed
12/20/07: FP Notice Recieved
1/15/08: FP appointment
6/7/08: Interview

Awaiting Oath letter

NYC Naturalization Experiences

I had my interview today at 8:20AM. The interviewer called me in around 9:20AM.

He first went through the whole N-400 and asked me every question. It was like orally filling the form out. Then I told him about my traffic tickets. There were two - one in 2002 and the other in 2003. Both were speeding tickets (no DUI or anything like that). I had proof that both tickets were paid and kept the originals. He then asked to see my Selective Services card which I showed him. Then the english and history tests. I got all 10 questions correct.

At the end he said, "Every thing looks good. Because of the tickets, I have to get your filed approved by my supervisor. But I will be recommending you for approval." He then gave me the N-652. The following boxes are checked:
  • You passed the tests of English and US history and government
  • USCIS will send you a written decision about your application
  • A decision cannot yet be made about your application.

He didnt ask me send in anything. He said that I should get my ceremony date in the mail in about a week. I asked him what would have happened if this tickets issue wasnt there. He said that he would approve me right there and also print out the oath letter and give it to me. But he said that this supervisor approval will only cause a delay of one week.

Not sure what to think of this. But that's the story. :cool:

I went yesterday for my citizenship interview and wanted to give a brief summary.

Basically you walk into Garden City, and have to go through a metal detector. So make sure your swiss army knives at home. Immediately afterwards, they asked me to go to window #6 (although it might be different for you), and they time stamped my interview letter.

I was then asked to proceed to the second floor with the stamped interview letter. There is a guard right there at the staircase and he wouldn't let my spouse go upstairs. When I went upstairs, I had to put the interview letter in the drop off box and then I waited. Getting there early didn't seem to help because it seemed they had some predetermined order. i.e. if your appointment is at 9:30, they will not call you until they finish all the 9:00 appointments even if you are already there. At least this is what I think was happening.

There are many interview rooms with many immigration officers. Each officer had their own style of calling out your names. Most of them call your last name and even repeat it, but one lady. She would stick her head out of the room and sometimes spell the first name, other times spell the last name only, but she never repeated the name. In fact, there were two names she called out with no response. She dropped those papers into a box. So it is important that you are vigilant and try your best not to doze off and listen for your name. This was not the immigration officer who interviewed me.

I got to interview site 30 minutes before my appointment time. Once I reached there I waited about 1 hour 15 minutes until I was called (or 45 minutes past my interview time). The interview lasted about 10 minutes for me, but I did notice it took longer for some people.

Basically my immigration officer swore me in and asked for my green card, passport, social security card initially. We reviewed N-400 application together.

Then the officer asked 10 civics questions. Asked me to write three sentences that were verbally read to me. Then asked me to read aloud a paragraph.

Then they asked me to sign the picture in script but this should be a legible signature. i.e. not the usual scribble you might use as your signature.

They gave me form which indicated that I was recommended for approval and to wait for the oath letter in the mail.

Overall, the interviewer was efficient, professional and pleasant, YMMV. I saw some people getting interviewed for more than an hour.

I do want to extend my gratitude to those who responded to my questions and helped relieve my anxiety prior to my interview. Hopefully my oath letter will arrive soon!

Hi,

I was interviewed at Federal Plaza on 6/18. IO was pretty nice. However at the end I was asked to bring the following documents:
2. Life insurance listing spouse as beneficiary (my GC was based on marriage to citizen. Our child was born just a few weeks prior therefore birth certificate still not ready at the time of interview. We do have joint account and filed tax jointly though.)
Question:
What happens if you don't have life insurance. I don't think everyone applying under the 3 year category has life insurance.

Hi Vorpal,
Thanks for your kind information. I think you are one of the most active and exprienced member of this thread.You are helping a lot of people.

My personal record upto now is clear, I mean no arrest etc.

Vorpal kindly please furnish me with these following questions :

1. Is N600 is important for the Kids? Even if they would get the Us Passport based on Parents NC ?

2.Can we submit N600 at the same time when we apply N400?

3. What is the current fees for N400 and N600?

4.How long it takes PD to OL? approx. ( I would like to apply sept 2009.)

5. I have many trips 3-5 months but less then 6 months to Asia because of the business.I have my business there.But last two years I am staying more in us.

6.What if we getting unemployment banefit ? any problem to get that benefit? or Medicaid banefit?

7.What if we are still unemployed when we apply?

8.Criminal case or arrest means all over US only or all over the world?

9.I have Driving Licence but I never drive do I still need to furning any docs?

10.90 days mean the date they receive application.

11.I have own house but still I live in rent apt.so do I need to show the House Papers?
12.I saw some people getting faster about 4-6month what is actual trend for 2008 applicant?

Thanks for the kind words! This forum has helped me a lot (and is still helping me) when I filed my N-400, so the least I can do is return the favor.

To answer your questions:

1. Since your kids will also become naturalized citizens, it's very important to obtain their certificates of citizenship by filing a N-600 for each of them. Despite the fact that a passport is proof of citizenship in itself, a certificate of citizenship is the only proof of citizenship that will never expire. I believe that any other member of this forum will agree with me on the importance of having the certificate of citizenship. Sure, the fees are hefty, but well worth it in the end.

2. No. In your case, you may file the N-600 only when you become a citizen.

3. The current fees are $675 for the N-400 ($595 filing fee plus $80 for biometrics - payable with a single check/money order in the amount of $675) and $460 for the N-600. More N-600 filing information can be found here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=a936cac09aa5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

4. There is no way to accurately predict how long it will take from PD to OL. As you can see, it'll be nearly a year from my PD to ID, and my case is very straight-forward. Meanwhile, more recent NYC applicants have been clearing their cases in 4-5 months (PD to OD). Hopefully, the process will be more streamlined by September 2009 and you'll be able to clear your case in around 6 months.

5. This is an oft-discussed topic on this forum. It really depends on a lot of variables and each case is unique. Is your business registered in US or in Asia? Are you paying U.S. taxes on the income generated by your business? Are your trips back to back or do they have months between them? Do you maintain ties to the U.S. (family residing here, bank accounts, lease/mortgage payments, auto loan, etc.) that you can easily prove by providing the necessary documentation? If you answer yes to all of those questions, then you will most likely have no problem.

6. Unemployment benefits are issued to an individual who has been laid off from his job after being employed there for at least 6 months. Medicaid is government-sponsored health care that is provided for individuals who require public assistance. If you are receiving unemployment and/or Medicaid, neither will affect your N-400, since you are not required to be employed to qualify for citizenship.

7. See above.

8. All over the world.

9. Your driver license will only be requested to prove your identity. If you don't have any traffic infractions, then you don't need to furnish any records.

10. You are eligible to apply for naturalization exactly 90 days prior to the 5 year anniversary of your LPR status. Since you will be applying 90 days or less prior to the 5 year anniversary of your LPR status, then it will definitely be less than 90 days by the time the USCIS receives it. Keep in mind that the application MUST be dated and sent no more than 90 days prior to 5 years. I would even suggest waiting about 5 days or so until AFTER the 90 day timeline begins, just to be on the safe side.

11. Yes. Since you own a house (in the U.S., I assume), it would be very beneficial to show your house deed/mortgage papers to prove that you had ties to the U.S. (See No. 5).

12. Check the various 2008 threads on this forum. You can get a good idea of the current trends there.

You don't have to have life insurance. For my case the only thing we have jointly is bank account and tax return. Of course we have a baby but I hadn't received birth certificate at the time of interview.

Question:
What happens if you don't have life insurance. I don't think everyone applying under the 3 year category has life insurance.

Dear Vorpal,
Thank you so much for your information in detail.It is realy very important for me.so now I got more confidence. thanks.

I want to let you know that I filed tax returns in us for us business every year since last 9years and my wife and kids live here all the time. Every trip is 2-4 months gap.I am living at the same apartment since last 5 years. I have credit cards paying on time.Have house mortgage, utilities. Do we have to send all these document with application?

Do we need exact dates for the trips? How we find the departure dates? in the passport we have arrival stamp only? What if we miss some trips?

My wife and me both were older than 30year when we got PR so do we need to register for the service?

Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words! This forum has helped me a lot (and is still helping me) when I filed my N-400, so the least I can do is return the favor.

To answer your questions:

1. Since your kids will also become naturalized citizens, it's very important to obtain their certificates of citizenship by filing a N-600 for each of them. Despite the fact that a passport is proof of citizenship in itself, a certificate of citizenship is the only proof of citizenship that will never expire. I believe that any other member of this forum will agree with me on the importance of having the certificate of citizenship. Sure, the fees are hefty, but well worth it in the end.

2. No. In your case, you may file the N-600 only when you become a citizen.

3. The current fees are $675 for the N-400 ($595 filing fee plus $80 for biometrics - payable with a single check/money order in the amount of $675) and $460 for the N-600. More N-600 filing information can be found here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=a936cac09aa5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

4. There is no way to accurately predict how long it will take from PD to OL. As you can see, it'll be nearly a year from my PD to ID, and my case is very straight-forward. Meanwhile, more recent NYC applicants have been clearing their cases in 4-5 months (PD to OD). Hopefully, the process will be more streamlined by September 2009 and you'll be able to clear your case in around 6 months.

5. This is an oft-discussed topic on this forum. It really depends on a lot of variables and each case is unique. Is your business registered in US or in Asia? Are you paying U.S. taxes on the income generated by your business? Are your trips back to back or do they have months between them? Do you maintain ties to the U.S. (family residing here, bank accounts, lease/mortgage payments, auto loan, etc.) that you can easily prove by providing the necessary documentation? If you answer yes to all of those questions, then you will most likely have no problem.

6. Unemployment benefits are issued to an individual who has been laid off from his job after being employed there for at least 6 months. Medicaid is government-sponsored health care that is provided for individuals who require public assistance. If you are receiving unemployment and/or Medicaid, neither will affect your N-400, since you are not required to be employed to qualify for citizenship.

7. See above.

8. All over the world.

9. Your driver license will only be requested to prove your identity. If you don't have any traffic infractions, then you don't need to furnish any records.

10. You are eligible to apply for naturalization exactly 90 days prior to the 5 year anniversary of your LPR status. Since you will be applying 90 days or less prior to the 5 year anniversary of your LPR status, then it will definitely be less than 90 days by the time the USCIS receives it. Keep in mind that the application MUST be dated and sent no more than 90 days prior to 5 years. I would even suggest waiting about 5 days or so until AFTER the 90 day timeline begins, just to be on the safe side.

11. Yes. Since you own a house (in the U.S., I assume), it would be very beneficial to show your house deed/mortgage papers to prove that you had ties to the U.S. (See No. 5).

12. Check the various 2008 threads on this forum. You can get a good idea of the current trends there.

Should a summon for the consumption of alcohol in public be mentioned on either N-400 form or during the interview? The fine was $25 and paid by mail. The summon itself says: "I hereby plead guilty to Administrative Code Section 10-125(b), the offense of Consumption of Alcohol in Public, a violation, not a crime". The disposition letter though says "Type: CRIMINAL SUMMONS" which is weird. One attorney we talked to said we shouldn't even mention this summon on N-400. What do you guys think?

Ah, you got the infamous pink Desk Appearance Ticket?

I got one back in 1997 for trespassing. I was in high school at the time, and was meeting a friend outside of his school. I've already posted this experience on this forum, so I won't go too much into it. I went to court and the ticket was dismissed. I tried to obtain a record of this ticket, but the court doesn't have it in their computer. I even pulled my criminal record, which came out crystal clear. I've decided not to mention this summons, since it was over 11 years ago and no record of it exists.

I went to court and the ticket was dismissed. I tried to obtain a record of this ticket, but the court doesn't have it in their computer. I even pulled my criminal record, which came out crystal clear. I've decided not to mention this summons, since it was over 11 years ago and no record of it exists.

Well, in this case the fine was paid, which means the person pleaded guilty. The whole incident happened about a year ago and the disposition letter obtained just recently. In any case, thanks for the information.

Well, in this case the fine was paid, which means the person pleaded guilty. The whole incident happened about a year ago and the disposition letter obtained just recently. In any case, thanks for the information.

Since the recepient of the ticket wasn't charged with a crime, this offense is no more serious than a traffic violation. If the applicant decides to disclose traffic violations, s/he should disclose this ticket as well. If the applicant chooses not to disclose traffic violations, then do the same with this ticket.

NYC DO has a conscious policy to not give oath on the same day. They may or may not give the oath letter on the same day but there is no same day oath.

That is correct. I know people who received the oath letter after their interview, but the oath was about 3 weeks thereafter. I guess that, due to the sheer amount of applicants being interviewed on a daily basis, NYC is incapable of administering same day oaths.