New US Passports

Raju in Philly

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends,:)
Just last week I became a USC and am planning to apply for my US passport this week. Is there a new kind of US passport called the electronic passport with a micro chip embedded in the book? I just read about it in the passport form that I bought today. Has anyone applied for this hi tech Passport? If so what are the requirements? Fees? Thanks for your answers guys.

Raju
:D

All passports issued currently are of the electronic type; there is no choice. They have an embedded chip which has the passport data stored electronically.

the E PASSPORT has a chip in the back cover and it costs 100 dollars for the first time applicant, expedited application will cost 60 dollars extra along with overnight delivery which is around 30 dollars two way, the requirement is u r USC and have the naturalization certificate and vaild ID to apply,

USC Certificate Photocopies???

:)Hello, vorpal, nycjordankix, nkm-oct23,
Thank you so much for your quick response guys. I really appreciate it. One more quick question Is it okay to make photo copy of my USC certificate you know before I give my original to the USPS for the US passport? On the certificate it clearly says do not make photocopy. Your suggestions guys. Thanks a lot.

Raju :D

You are allowed to make a black & white copy of the naturalization certificate for record keeping purposes.

to me, i made the regular b/w copy, and made a pic from my D-camera, u can make copies as ur personal record,

You guys are so naive. Whether you make a black&White or Color copy how does it matter and who will find out?
Scanning the certificate and then printing it out is same as making color copy.

i went to the library and made the copy myself, u have to do it own, self-service only, people can't help u to make copy of the certificate. honestly, i was thinking about to make color copy, however, no place in my area has that service and i was in rush to the PO since they close at 3:00 PM on SAT.

but i was wondering that my employer and school made copies of the certificate, WTF

Last edited by a moderator:
but i was wondering that my employer and school made copies of the certificate, WTF

Your employer has no reason to make a copy of the naturalization certificate. As per new I-9 requirements, naturalization cert has no place in List A (or List B or C), unless it is for different reasons.

As for the Q if you can make copies, you can infer that you are allowed to. If you loose your certificate, the instructions when filing N-565 clearly states "My certificate is/was lost, stolen or destroyed (attach a copy of the certificate if you have one)."

Related to copies, USCIS can certify copies as true copies. See http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=54519c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are so naive. Whether you make a black&White or Color copy how does it matter and who will find out?
Scanning the certificate and then printing it out is same as making color copy.

There is no naivety associated with the response. Per IO's recommendation, it is best to keep black and white copies for backup. Color copies may be misconstrued as a forgery rather an a copy. And I assure you if you are unfortunate enough to lose your certificate, the authorities will find out when you have to present your color copy for proof of status. I agree with keeping a scan of the document as that is not the same a color copy. Same goes for copy of your passport.... who would keep a color copy of that?

The idea here is not that you aren't allowed to keep a copy for your records, but that you aren't allowed to make copies for fraudulent use. [In fact only reason to make copies is for official government use/business.] Black and white copies are obviously not original and thus exemplifies the person from any possible fraudulent activities (e.g. forgery). Make sense?

I think you all new citizens can lower your level of paranoia. Copy everything you want, noone will care as long as you won't try to pass it as the original doc.
At the passport office the lady offered to make an official copy of my natz. cert. and I told her I already made a copy for myself. She said something about how I am not supose top do it and such, I just said "sue me!" and don't tell me what to do! The biatch shut up.
You can also go over the speed limit now....try it, very liberating!

There is no naivety associated with the response. Per IO's recommendation, it is best to keep black and white copies for backup. Color copies may be misconstrued as a forgery rather an a copy. And I assure you if you are unfortunate enough to lose your certificate, the authorities will find out when you have to present your color copy for proof of status. I agree with keeping a scan of the document as that is not the same a color copy. Same goes for copy of your passport.... who would keep a color copy of that?

The idea here is not that you aren't allowed to keep a copy for your records, but that you aren't allowed to make copies for fraudulent use. [In fact only reason to make copies is for official government use/business.] Black and white copies are obviously not original and thus exemplifies the person from any possible fraudulent activities (e.g. forgery). Make sense?

One can make a black and white photocopy of the color photocopy to send to the authorities ;) Color copies look pretty, and only the most uninformed person wouldn't be able to see that they are a copy and not an original. On the same token a black and white photocopy of an original black and white document could also be confused with the original. For whatever is worth I like color photocopies of the passport.

I plan to have color scans of everything. I and my wife are actually working on digitizing all our important paperwork (including immigration, financials, educational records, health, warranty, big receipts, tax documents, etc. etc.) We plan to scan everything as PDFs (color and either 600/1200 dpi resolution depending on the importance of the paper) and zipping & encrypting it. We have not made a decision on the location of storing these files, but skydrive seems good enough right now with 25GB of space available. You transfer files over HTTPS and when you encrypt the actual files with 128 bit encryption (Winzip), nobody should be able to get to the data, including rogue skydrive admins (I hope).

One can make a black and white photocopy of the color photocopy to send to the authorities ;) Color copies look pretty, and only the most uninformed person wouldn't be able to see that they are a copy and not an original. On the same token a black and white photocopy of an original black and white document could also be confused with the original. For whatever is worth I like color photocopies of the passport.

I agree. I only meant to send authorities a black and white copy - not color. I myself have a color copy and scanned copy of all my valuable documents/certificates.

You can make a color copy of anything you want and put a nice stamp that says 'COPY' on the color photocopy. You know what I am talking about. Or make the photocopy on paper that has a 'COPY' watermark on it. The word 'COPY' should immediately dismiss anyone's suspicion including that of the most suspicious official anywhere.

the E PASSPORT has a chip in the back cover and it costs 100 dollars for the first time applicant, expedited application will cost 60 dollars extra along with overnight delivery which is around 30 dollars two way, the requirement is u r USC and have the naturalization certificate and vaild ID to apply,

hi
What is the total cost of the passport with expedited processing ...any one has idea bz I have seen various posting of diff amounts ...I will apprecaite to hear the total amount...

Thanks in advance ...