New to Physician Thread

Yes you can, but let me qualify. To be approved you have to have all your USMLE exams and the ensuing ECFMG certificate, have done residency and have a medical license in the state where you wish to practice in the USA and of course a job offer from an employer who agrees to sponsor your H1b visa. The rest of the requirements are similar to other H1b applicants.

You actually need someone to sponsor an H1b and obviously the qualification in US terms to do the job .
You can actually do your residency on an H1B and there are hospitals which will sponsor H1B for you - you have to search on Frieda , call them and find out if they are interested in sponsoring . You need to have passed your steps ,and all 3 steps to get a hospital to sponsor your H1B for you.Remeber , you can take your step 3 only in a few states .After you pass your 1 AND 2/CS steps , u will get your ECFMG certificate.You will need that too for your H1B .Also , if you tell the hospitals that you can sponsor your on H1B ( ie, pay for the expenses yourself) , that makes things easier.

Hope tjis helps.

You can also get H1B for working as a physician assisstant - but I do not think thats what you are interested in .

H1b for medical faculty?

You actually need someone to sponsor an H1b and obviously the qualification in US terms to do the job .
You can actually do your residency on an H1B and there are hospitals which will sponsor H1B for you - you have to search on Frieda , call them and find out if they are interested in sponsoring . You need to have passed your steps ,and all 3 steps to get a hospital to sponsor your H1B for you.Remeber , you can take your step 3 only in a few states .After you pass your 1 AND 2/CS steps , u will get your ECFMG certificate.You will need that too for your H1B .Also , if you tell the hospitals that you can sponsor your on H1B ( ie, pay for the expenses yourself) , that makes things easier.

Hope tjis helps.

You can also get H1B for working as a physician assisstant - but I do not think thats what you are interested in .

Thanks for all your insights...

Actually I am trying to find out various options for my brother who is a practising opthamologist who currently is in India. If he is planning for a faculty position, does he need to clear USMLE, ECFMG?

By the way, I did not understand what you meant by "You need to have passed your steps ,and all 3 steps to get a hospital to sponsor your H1B for you". what are steps?

Also what is "Frieda"?

Talking to my brother, my understanding is it is practically impossible for a practising doctor in countries like India to come to the US. ie., they are highly discouraged, rejected breed and most unlikely to get a job and future here in the US. How far is that true?
Cheers,
Speedy1027

Applying directly to fellowship?

Few more potentially dumb questions...

My brother holds a MS in opthalmology from India.

1) Is he eligible to apply for any fellowship programs directly with out going through the UG medical and residency programs?

2) Also are USMLE and ECFMG mandatory before applying for fellowship?

3) any guidance in where to start searching for educational institutions which offer programs in opthalmology will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Speedy1027

Any physicians and dentists are eligible to get H1.

Unlike computer Programmer, only university degree is not sufficient, for physicians they must have unrestricted license to practise to get their H1.

To get the licence to practise, one should follow all the procedures (Passing USMLE and under going residency etc). The procedures are same for MBBS/MD/MS from foreign countries.

But faculty positions are eligible for H1 varies from university to university. Also research programs sponser medical doctors. But you can not practise any medicines.

Some research positions availale for medical doctors in Washington University, St.Louis

Are physicians (opthalmologists) eligible to apply for H1B visa?

Thanks,
Speedy1027

Some answers

Speedy, here are some answers to your questions.

Is he eligible to apply for any fellowship programs directly with out going through the UG medical and residency programs?
YES HE CAN APPLY FOR FELLOWSHIPS IN OPTHALMOLOGY WITHOUT DOING A RESIDENCEY HERE. IT MAY NOT BE EASY TO FIND A SPOT, BUT POSSIBLE IF HE HAS SOME CONTACTS HERE. OPTHALMOLOGY IS VERY COMPETITIVE HERE.
HAS HE COME HERE FOR ANY OF THE MAJOR OPTHALMOLOGY CONFERENCES ?
THESE MAY BE A GOOD PLACE FOR NETWORKING AND FINDING POSSIBLE FELLOWSHIP OR RESEARCH POSITIONS. IS HE DOING RESEARCH IN INDIA ? THIS CAN HELP TO GET A RESEARCH OR CLINICAL FELLOWSHIP POSITION HERE.

2) Also are USMLE and ECFMG mandatory before applying for fellowship?
YES - FOR ANY CLINICAL FELLOWSHIP. HE OPTS TO COME FOR A RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP, THEN NO.

3) any guidance in where to start searching for educational institutions which offer programs in opthalmology will be appreciated.
I WOULD DO A GOOGLE SEARCH FOR A LIST OF ALL ACCREDITED OPTHALMOLOGY PROGRAMS

If he is planning for a faculty position, does he need to clear USMLE, ECFMG?
YES, HE NEEDS PASS THE USMLE (HANDLED BY ECFMG). HE WILL NEED A LICENSE TO PRACTICE MEDICINE HERE. EVERYONE HAS TO PASS THE USMLE EXAMS TO HAVE ONE.

By the way, I did not understand what you meant by "You need to have passed your steps ,and all 3 steps to get a hospital to sponsor your H1B for you". what are steps?

USMLE HAS 3 PARTS OR STEPS. HE NEED TO PASS ALL OF THEM. YOU NEED TO HAVE PASSED ALL PARTS OF USMLE TO APPLY FOR H-1 AS A PHYSICIAN (FOR CLINICAL POSITIONS ONLY, NOT NEEDED FOR RESEARCH POSITIONS)

Talking to my brother, my understanding is it is practically impossible for a practising doctor in countries like India to come to the US. ie., they are highly discouraged, rejected breed and most unlikely to get a job and future here in the US. How far is that true?

NOT TRUE !