New Requirement of Surrendering Indian Citizenship - General Discussion

akgarg

Volunteer Moderator
Please use this thread for postings on this issue that may be of general interest and not specific to a consulate or the embassy.

Surrender Certificate...

I have my US citizenship and got my OCI in 2007 and had the indian passports voided. Do I still need to get the surrender certificate...

Thank you
Ramdas

I have my US citizenship and got my OCI in 2007 and had the indian passports voided. Do I still need to get the surrender certificate...

Thank you
Ramdas

This part is not clear. But, I would get the "Surrender Certificate"

You never know they may come up with some crazy process/fine in future.

So any guesses, after how much uproar and NRI feedback will GOI reduced the fees. Standard Operating Procedure, put in fees of $175, people get angry, reduced it to...let's say $100 and no more complaints. This is why I don't invest money in India, rules can change anytime, retroactively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to oci_bolo_to for the below information:

"By the way, if anyone wants to get the docs notarized, then you can get it done at the UPS store. All bank notary reps were duds, they refused to notarize the passport copy while the UPS guy took the copy on his pre-made form stating that he is notiarizing my signature. The bank reps couldn't even do that. "

sam012007

How did you get things 'expedited'?

Another problem is many people who became US citizens years ago no longer have their Indian passports or Green Cards (surrendered to the US govt). They want us to get copies of our I-130 documents (from the 1960s and 70s) from the US govt using the Freedom of Information Act, which will take a looooong time.

Does anyone have any ways around this?
Thank you!

siddh1, it was the US Passport that I applied as Expedited ... got only in 1 week and than Indian Embassy saga started ... what a mess .... no clue about your second question ... I don't have GC or EAD anything ... that they are asking in SFO ... lucky me DC isn't asking these things...

Thanks to oci_bolo_to for the below information:

"By the way, if anyone wants to get the docs notarized, then you can get it done at the UPS store. All bank notary reps were duds, they refused to notarize the passport copy while the UPS guy took the copy on his pre-made form stating that he is notiarizing my signature. The bank reps couldn't even do that. "

For those of you who work in corporations, note that you should have a notary at work who should be able to notarize docs for free. They may not notarize everything you throw at them but anyway, just raising some awareness if you didn't know already.

And the numbers are totally out of whack. If you traveled on the Indian passport (after naturalization), the penalty is USD 250. I think it is kinda cheap.
250 for a citizenship crime vs 175 just to cancel it legally.

And the numbers are totally out of whack. If you traveled on the Indian passport (after naturalization), the penalty is USD 250. I think it is kinda cheap.
250 for a citizenship crime vs 175 just to cancel it legally.

I agree. The fees are structured for profitability, not to discourage wrong behaviour.

I got OCI issued from Houston about 2 months back. The passport also has stamp "Passport Cancelled .... accepted citizenship of other country ...". What is feeling here, do we still need surrender certificate or just call it good and done with it??

Any thoughts !!

I got OCI issued from Houston about 2 months back. The passport also has stamp "Passport Cancelled .... accepted citizenship of other country ...". What is feeling here, do we still need surrender certificate or just call it good and done with it??

Any thoughts !!

Based on what is on SF CGI website, it looks like a surrender certificate will not be issued nor any fee will be charged to those who have already canceled their Indian Passports.

In future, they might ask to see your canceled Indian passport whenever you seek any consular service, therefore hold on to your (canceled) Indian passports for ever.

Based on what is on SF CGI website, it looks like a surrender certificate will not be issued nor any fee will be charged to those who have already canceled their Indian Passports.

In future, they might ask to see your canceled Indian passport whenever you seek any consular service, therefore hold on to your (canceled) Indian passports for ever.

Thanks nkm-oct23 for sharing info. I am planning a trip to India shortly, I believe I should carry all Indian PassPorts (I have 3 in total all cancelled) also with me along with US PP and OCI book.

SUNKS,
I fell you still have to pay $175 one day or other (may be more with fines). They know how to get it from you. :)

Thanks nkm-oct23 for sharing info. I am planning a trip to India shortly, I believe I should carry all Indian PassPorts (I have 3 in total all cancelled) also with me along with US PP and OCI book.

I don't think you need to carry your canceled Indian passports when traveling to India.

SUNKS,
I fell you still have to pay $175 one day or other (may be more with fines). They know how to get it from you. :)

Even though I do not want to pay but I know any thing and every thing is possible with GOI. Not sure when GOI drop this bomb-shell of collecting $175 for old OCI holders also.

I don't think you need to carry your canceled Indian passports when traveling to India.

nkm-oct23 - I know old cancelled PP are not required but I do not want to get shock at Airport. Who knows the day I fly, GOI may have a notification issued for OCI holders to carry cancelled Indian PP. Any thing and every thing is possible with GOI.

Even though I do not want to pay but I know any thing and every thing is possible with GOI. Not sure when GOI drop this bomb-shell of collecting $175 for old OCI holders also.

I understand. but you know there is a late fee, heavy fines for if surrender is not done in time.
.. From SF CGO web site ...

Indian citizens acquiring US (foreign) citizenship and renouncing Indian citizenship are required to surrender their Indian passports and obtain a “Surrender Certificate” which is issued by the Consulate. The charges for obtaining this service is US$ 175/-. These passports are cancelled and returned to the passport holder for future reference.

For delayed surrender of Indian Passport there is additional penalty