new proccessing time 16-18 months according to NY Times

From the editorial page dates 11/27/07:

"The agency, Citizenship and Immigration Services, is telling legal immigrants that applications for citizenship and for residence visas filed after June 1 will take about 16 to 18 months to process."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/27/opinion/27tue1.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Such high visibility is very good news for us. Especially given that the NYTimes editorials are often written by highly influential people, this has the potential to put pressure on USCIS to deliver results before the elections.

BTW, the publication date on this editorial is November 27th so this seems to be new information. Thanks Umeboshi1 for sharing here.

Thanks for this link, umeboshi1.

This article is and editorial, somewhat different from those we saw last week, in that it gives an opinion on the situation, rather than simply reporting facts.

I like this ! The writer points out things which needed pointing out. I hope it catches the eye of someone who has a bit of clout and can pressure for some improvements.

Yes, this backlog situation is unacceptable. Hopefully the pressure will continue for USCIS to do the necessary changes and hirings to speed up the process. The State Department was able to do the same with the passport application backlog. I would say that if they need to put some ICE or CBP personnel to work on applications for a while, so be it. The State Department did a similar thing to deal with the passport backlog.

Yes, this backlog situation is unacceptable. Hopefully the pressure will continue for USCIS to do the necessary changes and hirings to speed up the process. The State Department was able to do the same with the passport application backlog. I would say that if they need to put some ICE or CBP personnel to work on applications for a while, so be it. The State Department did a similar thing to deal with the passport backlog.

Totally agree with this. Maybe we should do an online peition to USCIS director and send a copy of it to all major newspapers. This problem has to be highlighted along with name check blackhole. More visibility can help.

Totally agree with this. Maybe we should do an online peition to USCIS director and send a copy of it to all major newspapers. This problem has to be highlighted along with name check blackhole. More visibility can help.

Yes, it is just putting more people to work, and also automating the process.
If they can make lot of entry automatic, through online application it wil lspeed up considerably. I don't remember filling out credit card apps by paper, using printed shopping catalogs for past several years.

If amazon can handle millions of orders and ship without error next day, fedex can handle millions of packages error free, USPS can handle postal surges during holidays, IRS can handle all of US tax returns almost promptly, then CIS can do it too. It is simply the govt has not allocated the budgets properly.

From the editorial page dates 11/27/07:

"The agency, Citizenship and Immigration Services, is telling legal immigrants that applications for citizenship and for residence visas filed after June 1 will take about 16 to 18 months to process."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/27/opinion/27tue1.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I still have to wonder if USCIS is not using those numbers as a means to protect themselves against potential lawsuits from applicants. Since most district offices are currently at about 7-9 month posted priority date processing, that would mean that sometime next year the 16-18 month processing time frame would become the USCIS posted processing time frame.