• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

new immigration law

gokhan8282

Registered Users (C)
Will the new immigration law affect the DV 2014 winners?

i've got my 2nd NL and my interview is in October?
They say that the lottery will not be applied anymore.(in 2015)

Will the new law affect my interview?

Thanks.

congress has not passed any law concerning DV2015.DV2015 will start in october.

Hi Samolaniyi,
Noticed you have done your police and is expired, same happened to me. Guess you are from Nigeria. Can the police report be renwed or to do a new one?
I also have same number range with you...2014AF00008***. Guess our interview is coming up in December, 2013

Hi Samolaniyi,
Noticed you have done your police and is expired, same happened to me. Guess you are from Nigeria. Can the police report be renwed or to do a new one?
I also have same number range with you...2014AF00008***. Guess our interview is coming up in December, 2013

Yea Agu,I am from Nigeria,it can be renew,you dont need to do your finger print again,you only need to go to Alagbon with your expired certificate for a renewal.But i dont know if they will charge you the amount you paid for your former cert.

We in the same range of CN,Hopefully our interview will come up in November, not December because i believe the next range of CN will get to 10,000 not forgetting that those in october ends at 5,500 if it is done that progression.

Are you in lagos?because i think all Dv 2014 interview will be done in lagos.

Yea Agu,I am from Nigeria,it can be renew,you dont need to do your finger print again,you only need to go to Alagbon with your expired certificate for a renewal.But i dont know if they will charge you the amount you paid for your former cert.

We in the same range of CN,Hopefully our interview will come up in November, not December because i believe the next range of CN will get to 10,000 not forgetting that those in october ends at 5,500 if it is done that progression.

Are you in lagos?because i think all Dv 2014 interview will be done in lagos.

Am in Germany currently but planning to take my interview in Lagos together with my wife....However, if you judge by previous year, you will see that our interview is most likely December especially mine that is 88**

Last edited by a moderator:
hi every one
how i can appeal against refused under section 212 (a)(5a)
iam winer in dv2014 and after i completed all applications
they refused me while iam in embassy
plz i need advise .thnx alot

hi every one

Sorry about your visa denial, but the decision is final. There's no process for appeal.

hi every one

Sorry about your visa denial, but the decision is final. There's no process for appeal.

What sm1smom posted is correct. Winning the lottery does not guarantee you a visa, only the chance to get one*, and you still need to meet the qualifying criteria and prove that you won't be a public charge. Other criteria for refusal include not filling in the entry form correctly (eg incorrect information about dependents), previous overstay of visa and still under ban period, or past criminal records. Clearly you weren't able to meet all the requirements, and the consular officer's decision is final. Sorry :(

*in fact it doesn't even guarantee that, if they run out of visa numbers... Just clarifying before someone jumps on this!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are ways to proceed after a visa denial, the most common are:
- Reapply (which doesn't quite work for DV cases because KCC is not likely to reschedule after a denial).
- File a motion to reopen. You need to present additional evidence that overcomes the denial.
- File a motion to reconsider. You don't present new evidence, but you argue that the denial was an incorrect application of the law.
- Request advisory opinion from CA/VO/L/A

http://www.rreeves.com/publications_detail.php?newsId=874
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87976.pdf

It's not something the average person can do without a lawyer.

This OP's denial is based on section 212 (a)(5) (a), meaning he failed to establish he/she meets the required qualification. On that basis alone, the CO's decision is final.

INA 9 FAM 42.33 N9.1 (page 9) states:

Any applicant for a DV visa who fails to establish that they possess the requisite qualifications, including a valid entry for participation in the DV program, is ineligible under INA 212(a)(5)(A)(i)

If the denial was based on INA 221(g), a denial pending the outcome of a fraud investigation, there may be possibility of hope as this is more or less being put on AP.

9 FAM 42.33 N9.2 says if Refusal is based on INA 221(g):

Interviewing officers should verbally impress on the applicants at the time of refusal, the importance of returning to the embassy quickly, preferably within the same month, with the necessary information to overcome the refusal. Officers should advise applicants that failure to return quickly may mean that visa numbers will no longer be available for them and they may miss their
opportunity to obtain a visa.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf