Need travel advice

In-Delema

Registered Users (C)
Help- Travelling to India

I have got my 140 approved on 10/27.

I have got an AP which is valid till Jan 8, 2005.

My H1b Visa has expired on Aug.10.2004

Applied for H1 renewal in Aug 2004. Not yet approved.

I need to go and return in Dec it self.

Do you anticipate any problem or should I take any special precausion.

Thanks for your advice.

In-Delema

Last edited by a moderator:
They won't check your 485. You need to show your AP at the customs. As long as your AP is valid, you can travel evern when your 140 is pending. i tried it last month.

QUOTE=honeysusu]They won't check your 485. You need to show your AP at the customs. As long as your AP is valid, you can travel evern when your 140 is pending. i tried it last month.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response HS.

I will travel with my AP what will happen if the 485 is approved in my absence. Any idea?

In-Delema

You will be allowed entry on deferred inspection. You will have to go and get your passport stamped for I-551.

If 485 is denied, your AP in no longer valid - you will be denied entry.

Jharkhandi said:
You will be allowed entry on deferred inspection. You will have to go and get your passport stamped for I-551.

Jharkhandi,

What if a person is travelling on a valid H1b visa and his/her 485 is approved while the candidate is outside the US, can he/she come back on H1b visa?

What if a person is travelling on a valid H1b visa and his/her 485 is denied while the candidate is outside the US, can he/she come back on H1b visa?

ABT

In-Delema
it's better not to travel. Advance Parole doesn't guarantee entry into US. In your case I-140 is approved, you filed concurrently it is just matter of your 485 case to be reviewed (hopefully is has to be approved in next 2-3 weeks. Given priority dates going back for EB-3 in Jan. (if you are from india / china), if there is RFE (In worst case) better you be here and collect all info. reqd. and send it back immediately so you get cleared before dec. 31st

Kgirish said:
In-Delema
it's better not to travel. Advance Parole doesn't guarantee entry into US. In your case I-140 is approved, you filed concurrently it is just matter of your 485 case to be reviewed (hopefully is has to be approved in next 2-3 weeks. Given priority dates going back for EB-3 in Jan. (if you are from india / china), if there is RFE (In worst case) better you be here and collect all info. reqd. and send it back immediately so you get cleared before dec. 31st

Thanks Kgirish,

Your reason for not travelling sounds logical.
I will try to avoid travel.

Do you think my case is concurrent?

I have seen approval of 140 and 485 together if they were files in the same envelope.

Have you seen and case like me approved.

Thanks
In-Delema

In-Delema said:
Thanks Kgirish,
Your reason for not travelling sounds logical.
I will try to avoid travel.
Do you think my case is concurrent?
I have seen approval of 140 and 485 together if they were files in the same envelope.
Have you seen and case like me approved.
Thanks
In-Delema

in-delema,

You might have seen approvals of 140 and 485 together if they were files in the same packet, but so is mine. And I am still waiting for 485.

If we think priority date is playing the role here, my PD and 'RPAN' PD are same March/03. But he got concurrent approval. I don't know what else NSC is taking into consideration when they are approving concurrent approvals.

I am in same situation as you. Not just 485, they are keeping my AP2 pending since 07/19/04. I have a valid H1 extension and not with a visa stamp. Got tickets to India for thanks giving. I am planning to CANADA and get stamped and travel on H1b. You can't imagine,I am just waiting for my AP2 to be approved. But we don't know how this CIS people work ..

ABT

In-Delema,

Your case should be processed as concurrent. In fact few lawyers wait for receipt notice of I-140 to file I-485. I have heard of RFE for 485 with a gap of 5 weeks in RD's of I-140 / I-485.

ABT said:
in-delema,

You might have seen approvals of 140 and 485 together if they were files in the same packet, but so is mine. And I am still waiting for 485.

If we think priority date is playing the role here, my PD and 'RPAN' PD are same March/03. But he got concurrent approval. I don't know what else NSC is taking into consideration when they are approving concurrent approvals.

I am in same situation as you. Not just 485, they are keeping my AP2 pending since 07/19/04. I have a valid H1 extension and not with a visa stamp. Got tickets to India for thanks giving. I am planning to CANADA and get stamped and travel on H1b. You can't imagine,I am just waiting for my AP2 to be approved. But we don't know how this CIS people work ..

ABT

ABT,

My case was NOT filed in the same envelope as you can see in my signature.

What does your LUD for 145 say. My LUD last changed on 9/15 when I had updated my address.

What does your phone message say? mine says "error in retriving..."

In-delema

In-Delema said:
ABT,
My case was NOT filed in the same envelope as you can see in my signature.
What does your LUD for 145 say. My LUD last changed on 9/15 when I had updated my address.
What does your phone message say? mine says "error in retriving..."
In-delema

140 AD 10/20/04 (LUD 10/21/04)
485 LUD (10/21/04 but description didn't change, its "Finger prints recieved ..resumed processing..blah blah since 05/25/04)
Phone message coming fine as well the online message.

Jharkhandi said:

Jharkhandi,

What is deferred inspection??? will there be any problem if i come back when my visa expires in 20days..

Deferred inspection is a referral. If you received a Deferred Inspection Referral when you arrived at the Port of Entry(which you will if 485 is done), you will be asked to go to the local USCIS office to get stamping done. It is one way to allow you entry in USA, as everything ceases to be valid.

And the law is:

Sec. 235.2 Parole for deferred inspection. (Section revised effective 4/1/97; 62 FR 10312)

(a) A district director may, in his or her discretion, defer the inspection of any vessel or aircraft, or of any alien, to another Service office or port-of-entry. Any alien coming to a United States port from a foreign port, from an outlying possession of the United States, from Guam, Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands of the United States, or from another port of the United States at which examination under this part was deferred, shall be regarded as an applicant for admission at that onward port.

(b) An examining immigration officer may defer further examination and refer the alien's case to the district director having jurisdiction over the place where the alien is seeking admission, or over the place of the alien's residence or destination in the United States, if the examining immigration officer has reason to believe that the alien can overcome a finding of inadmissibility by:

(1) Posting a bond under section 213 of the Act;

(2) Seeking and obtaining a waiver under section 211 or 212(d)(3) or (4) of the Act; or

(3) Presenting additional evidence of admissibility not available at the time and place of the initial examination.

(c) Such deferral shall be accomplished pursuant to the provisions of section 212(d)(5) of the Act for the period of time necessary to complete the deferred inspection.

(d) Refusal of a district director to authorize admission under section 213 of the Act, or to grant an application for the benefits of section 211 or section 212(d)(3) or (4) of the Act, shall be without prejudice to the renewal of such application or the authorizing of such admission by the immigration judge without additional fee.

(e) Whenever an alien on arrival is found or believed to be suffering from a disability that renders it impractical to proceed with the examination under the Act, the examination of such alien, members of his or her family concerning whose admissibility it is necessary to have such alien testify, and any accompanying aliens whose protection or guardianship will be required should such alien be found inadmissible shall be deferred for such time and under such conditions as the district director in whose district the port is located imposes.

Jharkhandi said:
Deferred inspection is a referral. If you received a Deferred Inspection Referral when you arrived at the Port of Entry(which you will if 485 is done), you will be asked to go to the local USCIS office to get stamping done. It is one way to allow you entry in USA, as everything ceases to be valid.

This means that if someone arrives on friday night, then one has to wait at the airport till the USCIS opens on Monday?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
-In-Delema

What is deferred inspection?

Upon arrival to the U.S., a foreign national undergoes "inspection" by the POE officer (also known as an Inspector) to determine (a) whether s/he should be allowed entry to the U.S.; (b) the proper category of admission; and (c) the proper length of stay. There are primary, secondary, and deferred inspections.

Primary inspections are familiar to any foreign national who has entered the U.S. All foreign nationals entering through designated ports of entry must go through the first level of inspection. If more information is needed in order to determine the applicant's eligibility, then secondary inspection takes place. The secondary inspections involve more detailed questions and investigation prior to determining eligibility for entrance. If the issues cannot be resolved at that point, the POE can, when appropriate, grant deferred inspection.

Deferred inspection is used when POE officers cannot make a decision based on the documentation available at the POE. The guidelines specifically state that it is only to be used when the POE officer has reason to believe that the case will be resolved in the applicant’s favor if the INS has a chance to review additional evidence or a preexisting INS file. In granting deferred inspection, the INS must consider a series of additional factors, including the likelihood the person will be able to obtain the missing documents; that good-faith efforts were made to obtain the documents prior to seeking entry; the person's age, health, and family ties; humanitarian considerations; and the nature of the potential inadmissibility (i.e. criminal history, previous immigration violations, etc.). If granted, the case is sent to the local INS office having jurisdiction over the location of the applicant's stay.

The POE must also consider whether the person poses a flight or security risk. The officer must check a series of databases, including the Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS), the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), and the National Automated Immigration Lookout System (NAILS), to determine whether the person should be granted deferred inspection. If there is a security or flight risk, the individual is either placed in removal (formerly deportation) proceedings or allowed to withdraw the request for admission to the U.S. and depart on the next available flight. Only certain senior level officials can authorize the grant of parole for deferred inspection.

In the deferred inspection procedure, one is granted “parole” to enter the U.S., as opposed to being admitted in an immigrant or non-immigrant category. The I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) is stamped with a parole stamp and endorsed to show deferred inspection. The stamp will also contain the deference date of the inspection. The allowable period is only 30 days or less. The person will receive an appointment time to appear for deferred inspection at the local INS office or, sometimes, back at the POE. One who is given deferred inspection receives a Form I-546 (Order to Appear for Deferred Inspection) and will be fingerprinted and photographed, as well.

Prior to the appearance, the INS local office is to have received and reviewed all the paperwork and any pre-existing INS file. If the applicant is found to be admissible to the U.S., s/he will receive an I-94. It is vital that one given deferred inspection appear when and where directed. Failure to do so will result in her/his being placed in removal (formerly deportation) proceedings. There are also possible criminal charges that may be pursued, depending upon the case.

Persons in these proceedings are not entitled to representation by an attorney. However, at times an attorney is allowed to be present in the role of observer and consultant to the applicant for admission. Additionally, an attorney can assist and advise the applicant prior to the deferred inspection procedure.

From my old collection (source www.murthy.com).

In-Delema said:
This means that if someone arrives on friday night, then one has to wait at the airport till the USCIS opens on Monday?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
-In-Delema
How did you infer that? Read the post which is posted after your last post.