Need to use AC21...pls help

neha72

Registered Users (C)
Hi ,

I filed my I-485 in July and after 1 month of filing I was laid off by my company A. My I-140 got approved in May '03 .
I joined another company B in Sep '03 by H1 transfer . EAD is approved but never used it.
1) Now I am getting a permanent offer by my client company, should I join them on EAD or H1 transfer?

2) Will the geographic location of new employer matter?

3) Will the salary change matter ? My LC salary is 70K and now it wud be 60K.

4) Am I eligible for AC21 ? What do I need from my new employer for invoking AC21 ( their HR dept doesn't know anything about AC21) ?

I will appreciate if anyone can pls. reply.

thanks-neha

I filed my I-485 in July and after 1 month of filing I was laid off by my company A. My I-140 got approved in May '03 .
I joined another company B in Sep '03 by H1 transfer. EAD is approved but never used it.
1) Now I am getting a permanent offer by my client company, should I join them on EAD or H1 transfer?
------ To join with EAD is risky join ONLY with H1 transferring
2) Will the geographic location of new employer matter?
----- No, new employer/lawyer has to get new LCA from DOL and it takes only 1-2 days as LCA is fax back system, your new LCA should be for new location of work

3) Will the salary change matter? My LC salary is 70K and now it wud be 60K.
----- You are joining with H1 transfer and salary shold be more than LCA for particular location, your past LC salary (written by past employer) has nothing to do with H1 salary
4) Am I eligible for AC21? What do I need from my new employer for invoking AC21 (their HR dept doesn't know anything about AC21) ?

**** You should check the I-140 status on BCIS online by punching I-140 receipt # if it still shows approved (take the print out) AND your I-485 is pending more than 180 days you are eligible for AC21 and if you have lay off letter from past employer it is good for you, if you join new employer by H1 then new employer has to give you future Permanent job offer letter and in that future job offer letter he should write that they intend to employee you on permanent base after I-485 approval and on letter they should state the same skills as on your past approved LC and better if the mention same Job title, you can send this letter of future permanent job offer to USCIS with copy your I-485 filing receipt and you also attach a letter that you would like to work permanently with new employer XYZ who gives to the future job offer letter Or you can send it later when USCIS sends RFE, if you changed address that is on I-485 then also file form AR11 and update NCSC on 1-800-375-5283, provide your I-485 receipt, A# ( it is on I-485 filing receipt) your name, Dob, also update with USCIS service center where your I-485 is pending by writing a registered return receipt letter and request them to change the address on your pending I-485, attach copy of I-485 filing receipt, your past address, A#, DOB and new address and name should be written on cover letter for address change and out side the envelope write ATTT: address change

IF you join by EAD then join with SAME/Similar job and letter should be as above, it is much better to be on H1 because if I-485 is denied ( very unlikely) then you will have H1 status to work also file new LC through new employer as good back up plan
For more info
Take the print out and Read the AC21 august 4,2003 Memo and also give it to your new employer if you feel, because reading this he may not file H1 transfer but for your safety you have to request him to file H1 transfer and later use the AC21:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/handbook/I140_AC21_8403.pdf
http://www.usavisanow.com/8-13-03-140-485.pdf
http://www.murthy.com/UDportme.html

Good Luck!!

to ginnu

1) My client company is willing to hire me only on EAD . But they are ready to give me employment letter ( for AC21 showing same job title, position, responsibilities as on LC ) . Am I fine then?

2) I am already in my 7th yr H1-B now, if I join the client company C using EAD then what will happen to H1-B visa ? Does using EAD will invalidate my H1 forever?

3) My passport is currently with DOS for revalidation of this 7th yr H1-B visa . Will that effect if I join employer C with EAD in between ?

4) My husband is also working on 7th yr H1-B visa . Can I be on EAD ( I being the primary) and he( derivative) work on H1-B visa
?

Please help !!!

Thanks a lot !!

1) My client company is willing to hire me only on EAD . But they are ready to give me employment letter ( for AC21 showing same job title, position, responsibilities as on LC ) . Am I fine then?
---- Then join with EAD and use AC21
2) I am already in my 7th yr H1-B now, if I join the client company C using EAD then what will happen to H1-B visa ? Does using EAD will invalidate my H1 forever?
----- if you use EAD you will not be on H1 status and No H1 extensions in future, you will also need valid AP applied IN US and approved IN USA before you go out and reenter before AP expires
3) My passport is currently with DOS for revalidation of this 7th yr H1-B visa . Will that effect if I join employer C with EAD in between ?
-----NO
4) My husband is also working on 7th yr H1-B visa . Can I be on EAD ( I being the primary) and he( derivative) work on H1-B visa
?
----- Yes,Let your husband be on H1 status, he should not use EAD, because if anything bad goes to your I-485 then with his H1 status you can stay in US if he maintain his individual H1 and if his LC also gets approved he can also file I-140, I-485, EAD, AP as primary and you file as derivative

Does the job title have to be same ?

On LC I have software engineer written and the one I am offered is Senior datawarehouse developer.

ALso the job responsibilities are 80% same .

I was a consultant before and now i am planning to join the client company ( IT field) .

What else is needed for AC21 ?

pls help.. i am in dilemma ...i dont want to lose this perm job offer..

Job should be 'similar'. The job is combination of title/description/salary. There is no need for an exact match. BCIS is liberal in its interpretation of 'similar'.
HTH