Need something in my passport to indicate my status.

USER2345

Registered Users (C)
A lawyer told be that USCIS don't use I-551 stamp anymore,but someone mentioned on this board they got it recently. Very strange!

My situation is this. I need to travel in a month abroad. I am a LPR but I have no green card ( another long story). I got this temporary paper indicating my status until I get an actual GC. I do have a passport with nothing in in from the US. Is there anything USCIS can stamp in so I can return to the US later? It's too late to apply for the travel document ( takes 3-6 months) and my status can be easily verified at the border. The problem is airlines and border guards abroad...
Anything can be done so I can travel?

A lawyer told be that USCIS don't use I-551 stamp anymore,but someone mentioned on this board they got it recently. Very strange!
They don't routinely give that stamp any more, but they will give it in some circumstances, such as if you have waited a long time without getting your card, or are waiting for a replacement card. They might do it your case because you are waiting for citizenship. Make an Infopass appointment and try.

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: LPR'S Green Card Passport Stamp

They don't routinely give that stamp any more, but they will give it in some circumstances, such as if you have waited a long time without getting your card, or are waiting for a replacement card. They might do it your case because you are waiting for citizenship. Make an Infopass appointment and try.

That is not completely accurate.
The IO who interviewed this person at the time they took the old Green Card has the obligation to stamp the passport if the person requests it. What the person can do is request an InfoPass and speak to an IO and give them the name of the IO who interviewed this person or ask to speak to a supervisor.

I had to give my green card to USCIS for name change but they stamped on my passport and it was valid for 1 year..

My situation is this. I need to travel in a month abroad. I am a LPR but I have no green card ( another long story). I got this temporary paper indicating my status until I get an actual GC. I do have a passport with nothing in in from the US. Is there anything USCIS can stamp in so I can return to the US later? It's too late to apply for the travel document ( takes 3-6 months) and my status can be easily verified at the border. The problem is airlines and border guards abroad...
Anything can be done so I can travel?

There are paid services that can expedite a travel document. They charge double the regular application fee, but you get the travel document within 2 weeks. I don't know what kind of strings they pull, but I used a service like that once and got my travel document in 10 days.

That is not completely accurate.
The IO who interviewed this person at the time they took the old Green Card has the obligation to stamp the passport if the person requests it.
But the poster didn't mention anything about being interviewed or the card being taken away by an IO. Based on the info in the poster's signature, it appears there has been no interview.

It still remains true that the I-551 stamp is no longer a routine thing for green card holders, it is only done for special circumstances (such circumstances including the citizenship interview upon giving in the card -- but apparently that is not the case here).