Need Processing Time Information

guynew28

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone !!
I am on H1 visa which is valid till December 2003. I have visa approval from another company which is valid till December 2006. I applied for Green Card/Advance Parol/Work Permit via family (I am married to a US citizen) in vermont office (We submmitted I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 ) on 14th November 2003. Can any one pls tell me

1) How long does it take to get receipt number ?
2) How long does it take to get advance parol ?
3) How long does it take to get work permit ?
4) How soon can I expect to get green card from Vermont office ?
5) What basic approvals should I have before I can plan to goto India ?

Thanks
regards
Alex

1) How long does it take to get receipt number ?

Genarally one to two weeks from the time you have sent the I485 documentation.

2) How long does it take to get advance parol ?

Generally 60 to 90 days for AP.

3) How long does it take to get work permit ?

Generally 60 to 90 days for EAD.

4) How soon can I expect to get green card from Vermont office ?

Currently this around 2 years.

5) What basic approvals should I have before I can plan to goto India ?

You can travel to India if you have a valid H1B or valid AP.

My advise would be to travel after you are done with your fingerprinting. You may expect fingerprinting notice between 2 to 6 months from your RD.

Thanks for the answer so promptly.I have been told that I will get temporary green card in 3 months and will get permanent green card in 2 years.Please verify. Also how soon can I expect to be called for finger prints .
@Alex

guynew28,

There is no concept of temporary green card . May be someone was refering to EAD card ?

You may expect fingerprinting notice between 2 to 6 months from your RD. Generally the schedule date will be 3 to 6 weeks from the time when the FP notice is sent. At some locations you can do early FP than the scheduled date.

this is what I know...

Green card via marriage with an American citizen normally takes 6 -12 months. Applicants will get temporary green card after approval. The temporary card is basically the same as regular green card. It's just that after a few years if you stay married you will get a permanent one.

I'm not sure about 3-month time frame. You could be right. The processing time varies at different offices.

Just to add to the previous message.

you should get fingerprint notice very soon. I-485 via marriage with citizen takes the first priority. So you'd be almost not aware of the time passing by like most of us, employment-based. Something like.. oh fingerprint notice .... then....oh... I'm approved already.

temp green card

I know people has got temporary green card through marriage within 6 months.You should complete FP during application timt to reduce some more time. Permanent green card for this category generally takes 3 years. But after getting permanent green card, you can apply citizenship immediately.
Hope this may help.
Thanks

Sorry guynew28!!

Did not register that yours is a GC thru marriage to a Citizen.

I was some how stuck with the Employment based category.

guynew28 was refering to conditional GC and this is true when someones marries to US citizen, he or she gets conditional GC within 6 to 12 month time frame.

INS/BCIS calls for interview after 2 yrs to verify the marriage and only after that they issue a permenant GC for 10 yrs

One major advantage is, one can apply for US citizenship after 3 years for valid Permenant reisdency in US, which is 5 yrs for Employment based GC.

GC through the marriage involves two steps viz. I-130 and I-485. I-130 is filed at service centers and I- 485 at the District offices. You need to wait until your I-130 is approved. Then I think depending your district office priority dates you will get Interview date. Once the interview is successful you will get conditional GC. After two years (I think including waiting period) you have to apply for removal condition, which will be final GC.

Per current timings I-130 is in November 2002. If you are from India You can Apply at Delhi CIS office in where you can get you GC within 3 months. But there are some conditions for that. You need to take advice from attorney.

Originally posted by tammy2
GC through the marriage involves two steps viz. I-130 and I-485. I-130 is filed at service centers and I- 485 at the District offices. You need to wait until your I-130 is approved.

No. Marriage to a US Citizen is NEVER (by law) subject to priority date waits, so you have been able to concurrently file the I-130 and the I-485 for some time now. The only I-130s that are filed at the service centers are ones for the FB categories 1 through 4. (Marriage petitions and parent petitions are considered Immediate Relative).