need help for BAMS medical graduate

Thanks,

So will you please suggest me what can i do as a BAMS person? I am feeling like that i am wasting my time doing MPH. what shall i do for job?

Please someone guide me.

BAMS graduate from India can develop career in any field in the U.S. Here education system is flexible and accommodative, sky is the limit if time factor is not limit and you will get happy in the end if you could do what you want to do.

I am BAMS from India now in 2nd year of DO program (Medical doctor) like MD. To enter in DO, I completed BS in Molecular Biology from US and took MCAT and did all other required medical shadowing, research, etc.

You can do MD /DO Allopathic
PhD
MBA
MHA
MBA
Engineering
Public Health
Open company

The approach to be taken is
1. Research (do thorough home work) into what you want to do-for example want to go to
MD/DO program: google how to get in medical school, what test required, etc
visit

www.aamc.org
www.aoa.org
Visit medical school/DO school websites for requirement
Contact admission officer/Dean sending your CV and request assistance to help decide to become a competent candidate by acquiring additional education and experience in US.

Do not count much on what courses from BAMS can be transferred and what not-
because MCAT exam score needed for MD/DO admission will find your knowledge
Also most DO/MD schools ask for atleast 90 credits done in North America

Postbacc programs are there but for those who have completed US BS /BA degree and as such are very competitive to get in. Some one trying that to get in at John Hopkins Postbacc, do not know if succeeded

However you will need to put efforts and time. You will have to complete pre-requisites courses, etc and demonstrate motivation, commitment, and perseverance and most important involvement /immersion to demonstrate passion to what you want to do in, cultural assimilation, to achieve your long term career goal!

Every persons circumstances (US visa status and type of visa, family, location, state, spouse job stability of spouse to remain in same state/region, age, english proficiency, cultural assimilation, job experience from India, additional edu from India other than BAMS, etc) in US are different (even for with BAMS from India) and there is no one size fit for all like India.

This is how I did it, basically, entered DO program in US at age 36 with my son currently in high school and daughter in middle school .
These are my sincere suggestions!

Good luck
Abhuda

Last edited:
Hi abhuda,
I have done BAMS from India too, post which I did MBA in Healthcare (India).
I am planning to pursue some Master's again here in US.
when I reached out to WES for evaluation of the degrees, they said they don't evaluate BAMS degree at all.
Could you suggest me where to go next?
how to deal with this problem?

Hello folks,

My wife is in the same boat as you all, and we are looking forward to get her enrolled in to Masters/MBA in Healthcare Administration. She has completed her BAMS and MD in Ayurveda-Rognidan.

May I know if anyone in this forum has got admitted into Masters/MBA in Healthcare Administration? If so, what is the path?

I'm just putting this information from WES website which clearly mentions now that -
"Study programs in Ayurveda, Unani, and Siddha indigenous medical systems are not offered by regionally-accredited, recognized institutions in North America. As a result, WES does not evaluate academic records for such study programs. If you possess additional academic study, we invite you to submit those documents according to the Required Documents for the appropriate type/level of education."

Also, has anybody looked into the following organizations -
1. NAMA
2. BASTYR University

I wanted to post links from WES, NAMA & BASTYR University but the forum doesn't allow me to post links unless I've 5 posts on this forum.

-Vikram

hi ,
I have a BAMS degree from India as well. I'm exploring opportunities in the areas of Ultrasound or Radiology.

Can you please advice if the above areas are a feasible option to study in US? I'm currently in New Jersey and exploring opportunities in the tristate area.

Please advise if there are any others areas of study which I can explore other than MBA or MPH.

Thanks.
-Sathya

Hello,I have done my BAMS and trying to get in to MBA in healthcare administration.Did any one tried their transcripts for evaluation in ECE, ACEI or FIS other than WES.

Neethu

Hi everyone i am so glad to join in the group i have completed my BAMS in India and i am doing my masters in Health Services Administration in Mississippi now im very much interested and want to work in clinic area only can anyone suggest me do i have any chance or what are the chances of getting into DO or Nutrition or dietitian or like mental health counselors or any kind of counselors or like that please anyone suggest im so desperate to know i am eagerly waiting for your replies help me out please guys.
Hello chukki,
I have done my BAMS from India and trying to get admission in MBA in healthcare administration. Can you please guide me. Waiting for your reply.
Thank you.
Neethu

Hi abhuda,
I have done my BAMS from India. At present I'm in New Jersey. I tried to explore about studying ultrasonography. As many people said WES not evaluating BAMS. I tried GLS I.e., global language service through which I got my degree course by course evaluation done. They gave US equivalent degree as DOCTOR OF AYURVEDIC TRADITIONAL MEDICINE FROM REGIONALLY ACCREDITED EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION IN THE US. GPA A-3.83. So please help me whether can I use this and apply for ultrasonography course here or any other medical course. Or can I do USG course from India and appear for ARDMS. Please waiting for your reply.

Thank you,
Sathyakarthik

Hi abhuda,
I have done my BAMS from India. At present I'm in New Jersey. I tried to explore about studying ultrasonography. As many people said WES not evaluating BAMS. I tried GLS I.e., global language service through which I got my degree course by course evaluation done. They gave US equivalent degree as DOCTOR OF AYURVEDIC TRADITIONAL MEDICINE FROM REGIONALLY ACCREDITED EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION IN THE US. GPA A-3.83. So please help me whether can I use this and apply for ultrasonography course here or any other medical course. Or can I do USG course from India and appear for ARDMS. Please waiting for your reply.

Thank you,
Sathyakarthik
Hi Satya
I was trying to see what is GLS , I coudnt find one , please post me the URL, I was wondering how did you verify the credentials of GLS.

thank you
Sri

Folks,
Abhuda here, currently in US DO program like MD, after BAMS from India and BS Molecular Biology from India. I have 1 semester left to enter clinicals rotations, have to take COMLEX I and optional USMLE I before that.

Folks, do not get confused, all of BAMS graduates are smart- need to show smartness.

Sathyakarthik : Contact the US school you want to to ultrasound/radiology. If possible take appointment via email and go and meet the admission dept with your documents/evaluations/visa/TOEFL/GRE scores etc.

Before that, visit their website and look for what you need to get in program.
I do not have answers for each of your situations, you need to do reading/research about it, the way I did.

You will be all successful. Just research/do home work. Contact schools, talk via phone, send email with CV, visa status, ask the academic office questions.

Academic Evaluation is recommended/suggested to be done from members of NACES (please google what it is = NACES.org , look for requirements and prices and contact them and ask questions before you pay:
In 2007, I did my BAMS evaluation from WES., I think WES not doing BAMS evaluation now.

I am BAMS from India now in DO program (Medical doctor) like MD. To enter in DO, I completed BS in Molecular Biology from US and took MCAT and did all other required medical shadowing, research, etc.

Currently in US DO program like MD, I have 1 semester left to enter clinical rotations, have to take COMLEX I and optional USMLE I before that.

BAMS graduate from India can develop career in any field in the U.S. Here education system is flexible and accommodative, sky is the limit if time factor is not limit and you will get happy in the end if you could do what you want to do.

You can do MD /DO Allopathic
PhD
MBA
MHA
MBA
Engineering
MPH Public Health
Open company

The approach to be taken is
1. Research (do thorough home work) into what you want to do-for example want to go to
MD/DO program: google how to get in medical school, what test required, etc
visit

www.aamc.org
www.aoa.org
Visit medical school/DO school websites for requirement
Contact admission officer/Dean sending your CV and request assistance to help decide to become a competent candidate by acquiring additional education and experience in US.

Do not count much on what courses from BAMS can be transferred and what not-
because MCAT exam score needed for MD/DO admission will find your knowledge
Also most DO/MD schools ask for atleast 90 credits done in North America

Postbacc programs are there but for those who have completed US BS /BA degree and as such are very competitive to get in.
Vasantha on BAMS forum trying that to get in at John Hopkins Postbacc to enter Medicine , do not know if succeeded, seems working towards premed requirements

However you will need to put efforts and time. You will have to complete pre-requisites courses, etc and demonstrate motivation, commitment, and perseverance and most important involvement /immersion to demonstrate passion to what you want to do in, cultural assimilation, to achieve your long term career goal!

Every persons circumstances (US visa status and type of visa, family, location, state, spouse job stability of spouse to remain in same state/region, age, english proficiency, cultural assimilation, job experience from India, additional edu from India other than BAMS, etc) in US are different (even for with BAMS from India) and there is no one size fit for all like India.

This is how I did it, basically, entered DO program in US at age 36 with my son currently in high school and daughter in middle school . By the way want to share that my son got accepted at Duke University this year for college.
These are my sincere suggestions!

Folks, do not get confused, all of BAMS graduates are smart- need to show smartness.

Sathyakarthik : Contact the US school you want to to ultrasound/radiology. If possible take appointment via email and go and meet the admission dept with your documents/evaluations/visa/TOEFL/GRE scores etc.

I do not have answers for each of your situations, you need to do reading/research about it, the way I did.

You will be all successful. Just research/do homework. Contact schools, talk via phone, send email with CV, visa status, ask the academic office questions.

Course by Course Academic Evaluation is recommended/suggested to be done from members of NACES http://www.naces.org/members.html
, look for requirements and prices and contact them and ask questions before you pay:

In 2006, I did my BAMS evaluation from WES., I think WES not doing BAMS evaluation now.

AJ70 is my another user name, wont use it much.

Good luck
Abhuda

Folks,
Abhuda here, currently in US DO program like MD, after BAMS from India and BS Molecular Biology from India. I have 1 semester left to enter clinicals rotations, have to take COMLEX I and optional USMLE I before that.

You will be all successful. Just research/do home work. Contact schools, talk via phone, send email with CV, visa status, ask the academic office questions.

Correction: My BS Molecular Biology is from U.S. , Georgia, University of Georgia at Athens.

Hello Abhuda bro,
Your story is very encouraging to all BAMS graduates.
I have a few questions.
One is financial thing.... How did you afford the tuition fees and living costs with family in US while undergoing rigorous study throughout BS and DO ?
Do you have US citizenship to ask for federal loan ?
I am a BAMS /MD graduate, seeking a chance to go to US to follow your path ( four year BS in pre med and MCAT and med school). But the cost is so much that I can not afford. Do you have any suggestion ? Please explain me about financial part of studying in US from BAMS graduates.

Boston University has a 7 year BA/MD program but it seems that freshmen right after high school are eligible for this. Since I have done BAMS and MD after high school, this disqualifies me for seeking admission in this program? Or BAMS and MD are not considered to be post secondary education because these degrees are not evaluated in US education system?
I am so confused.... how to approach educations institutions in US with my Ayurvedic degrees? Already almost 18 years have passed after my high school. Can i be still considered to be a freshman?

Thanks

Hello Jpayu,

I came to the US with my researcher husband. He filed for a green card. Before getting the green card we paid the tuition fee for 2 years as I studied in a small college also called community college.
Then got the green card, by the time I transferred to University and studied 2 more years. Since then I used US federal education loan and is using now also. Will start my clinical rotations in hospital in July. Now will be taking COMLEX I and USMLE I in July 2017. I am aiming for Radiology /Interventional Radiology residency or Internal Medicine and then Cardiology or Gastroenterology fellowship.

You can go to the Philippines to study MD /MBBS similar to India or US. Philippines medical education is based more on US MD pattern and more than 90% people speaks English, may Indian students study medicine there and cost about RS. 35 lac or less, including fees, air travel every year from India or visits to India and living. Then you can try residency match in US. There is no age limit in the Philippines and you will get in MD program (4 years same as MBBS) as you have education completed after 12th. They follow US pattern to enter MD at least need to complete 2-year college I guess. MD there will be more rigorous than India. This is the best and economical path to get the medical education. Make sure you get MCI clearance to go to study medicine to the Philippines in case you want to practice in India. Google, there are agencies in India that help in admission and are currently open I guess.

I had that thought seriously going to the Philippines but it worked out for me to get in DO in US similar to MD.

Students from U.S. still go to study medicine in the Philippines and other countries because of cost in the US and competitive nature to get in medicine program here.

Also, many students do MBBS in India and every year match residency in US.

I hope it helps. If you wish and work on it to achieve your dream, you will be doctor practicing in U.S. - one day- for sure :D.

I am just sharing the information and this is not a legal advice. You need to make sure of your goals and aims in life, your capacity to put hard work, economic and family circumstances on the table, discuss with your family members in depth- before you jump into Philippines medical education and American dream at your own emotional and financial risk. :)

However, in my opinion, it is not impossible to study modern medicine even at this age if you have financial resources and time!

Currently (do not know if will change in future), the US recognizes medicine degree from any county look at :
https://search.wdoms.org/
As long you pass USMLE step I, II CK CS and get ECFMG certification.

You can then apply for US residency match- though is competitive and current match rate for Foreign medical is about 40% I guess.

Medical school in the Philippines will allow you do a few rotations in the US, you need to take USMLE I and may me II CK. Arrange your rotations after that may cost $3 K/month for rotations + living $$$, if you do 2-3 rotations that will help as US clinical experience. If you have research experience that could help residency match later you can do a research rotation as well.

Now my son got accepted @ Duke University (US rank 7) in BS (BE) Biomedical Engineering program, to begin in Aug 2017.

Just to give credit to the right person, my husband, Ph.D. researcher is my guide. He researched all about medical education in the US and abroad and guided me to reach where I am now.:D

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Hi
Yes I am doing BS towards Biology
""Postbacc programs are there but for those who have completed US BS /BA degree and as such are very competitive to get in.
Vasantha on BAMS forum trying that to get in at John Hopkins Postbacc to enter Medicine , do not know if succeeded, seems working towards premed requirements""

Initially I decided to go to Caribbean schools to finish MD sooner to bypass Premed MCAT etc. I almost to start wtih St Martinus Univ , Luckily I found Abhuda's post a week before starting date to Caribbean school. Her decision of doing BS /MCAT is well matched with other blogs and few other Caribbean students advices. Down the road getting into residency for foreign graduates will have feeble chances , Opting to Caribbean or any foreign schools would be a best option if one decides to practice in India alone and also those colleges are accredited by MCI.
I decided to do BS Biology as I have started studies very late after BAMS (1999) I wanted to get into the life of studies as well, Just having passion alone doenst suffice , money , moral support many factors will play for longterm goals like this.

I dropped the idea of Post bacc for premedical requirements cause it demands the same money and 2yrs close , and highly competitive John Hopkins like universities. By all means I decided to do BS Biology. I will be transferring from community college to Univ next fall. I am on Green card using all my savings so far towards school.

If you think about financial aid from colleges majority of the community colleges give first time Undergrads . please keep in mind . Like Abhuda advised better to not depend on Biology transfer credits rather not to mention your BAMS and getting financial aid is more helpful . I am in the process of rethinking as well to get into any other nutritional or Clinical nutrition and have plans to practice Ayurveda, yoga and meditation for which I have strong belief that going to be New age medicine. If someone is younger and have support to study , MD/DO are best options even to have integrative therapies.
I am continuing my BS Biology keeping these options right now..

my WES was in 2001 , and still using to supply the credits , currently they dont do for BAMS.

Vasantha,

You have green card and so can get federal loan if you do not want to deplete savings, fill FAFSA, I used federal loan for my University 2 years, during community college 2 years I paid from my savings as did not have green card then.

In my DO program, I am getting $ 5 K scholarship/year, for better academic performance and leadership activities.

CAUTION:

If any one have not even completed first bachelor's degree (BAMS, BA, BS, etc) but earned certain number of credits , you are not eligible for pell grant or certain scholarships. Hiding/not disclosing prior degree or education for want of scholarship/non returnable financial aid is a federal crime.

CAUTION:

If someone hide prior education, such as BAMS, or other degree (I mean in violation of federal law) while completing Federal loan or scholarship or pell grant (FAFSA and Graduate Plus loan) there is a severe penalty, including jail and could cost career. So honesty is very very important in the U.S.

Hi Abhuda,

I am in same boat as so many others here. I am here for more than 7 years and recently started exploring my options for the second innings.
I am already in late 30's and have 2 small kids.I don't want to waste my money as well as time. What are the good fields to explore other than nursing?
I know it's not one size fits all situation.But will really appreciate any guidance.

Hi Abhuda,

I am in the same boat as so many others here. I am here for more than 7 years and recently started exploring my options for the second innings.
I am already in late 30's and have 2 small kids.I don't want to waste my money as well as time. What are the good fields to explore other than nursing?
I know it's not one size fits all situation.But will really appreciate any guidance.

To remain in the medical field.
It depends on what you want to do and your skills in Math, Stat, computer, English W, spoken English could affect what you could exceed in the career.
In general, something that gives you license in healthcare is valuable in the US. Such as MD and DO. Physician Assistant program is attractive too! it is only 2 years. There is MS in Medical Informatics like Clinical Informatics in Uni of Texas, that will also use your doctor skills and knowledge.

Second choice.
Apart from that, 2-3 years MPH with the focus on Applied Epidemiology, Applied Health Informatics from Emory Rollins School of Public Health, Executive MPH program (it is online mostly and on campus only 6 days /semester) could be good or from other schools such as John Hopkins, Harvard, etc.
If you are good in Stat, SAS, R it helps for job and Epi focus on these in the analysis. My husband doing EMPH @Emory.
SAS certification can be done.
It is big data or real-time data era now. So mathematical related Analytical skills help.

Other MPH like Global Health, General MPH from top 5 universities in US would help too , I guess.

If you have the green card you can get US dept education loan.
Education is costly in US.

It depends on what will keep you happy.

I do not have much idea about MBA.