• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

need help about country of eligibility !!

hisham28,

you have to put Kuwait down for your country of chargeability or you will likely be disqualified during the interview process. this is because Kuwait is eligible to participate in the lottery and by selecting Egypt your error could not be over looked because the two countries are in different regions. by selecting kuwait you might have slightly smaller chance of winning(although i'm not sure about this) but if you do win you won't have any problems or be hugely disappointed if the CO disqualifies you. best to be safe

hisham28,

you have to put Kuwait down for your country of chargeability or you will likely be disqualified during the interview process. this is because Kuwait is eligible to participate in the lottery and by selecting Egypt your error could not be over looked because the two countries are in different regions. by selecting kuwait you might have slightly smaller chance of winning(although i'm not sure about this) but if you do win you won't have any problems or be hugely disappointed if the CO disqualifies you. best to be safe
you are right
thank you 4 your advice

thank you all and i am really appreciate for your help
and if some one have same case Please pass your experience

You are definitely eligible under Kuwait.
You cannot claim Egypt just because of your citizenship only. Certain conditions should be satisfied. In fact, your citizenship is irrelevant.
Kuwait is ineligible is a non-condition. You equally qualify under Egypt even if Kuwait is eligible (provided conditions for Egypt are satisfied).
However, your spouse needs to be born in Egypt or certain other conditions should be satisfied (through parents).
Let's figure it out.
Where were your parents born?
What did they do in Kuwait when you were born there?

And that is true, chances for Africa are much higher than for Asia. If you are eligible under Egypt, claim it now. Once you claim Kuwait, you will not be able to change chargeability from Kuwait to Egypt later because they belong to different regions.

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot claim Egypt just because of your citizenship only. Certain conditions should be satisfied. In fact, your citizenship is irrelevant.
Kuwait is ineligible is a non-condition. You equally qualify under Egypt even if Kuwait is eligible (provided conditions for Egypt are satisfied).
However, your spouse needs to be born in Egypt or certain other conditions should be satisfied (through parents).
Let's figure it out.

And that is true, chances for Africa are much higher than for Asia. If you are eligible under Egypt, claim it now. Once you claim Kuwait, you will not be able to change chargeability from Kuwait to Egypt later because they belong to different regions.

actually, raevsky is right, it doesn't matter so much whether kuwait is eligible for the lottery or not. HOWEVER, all the importance is placed on what your parents were doing in kuwait at the time you were born there. if they were just in transit or visiting or otherwise non-residents AND you can prove this, then you can charge to egypt which is their native country. i still think you should put down kuwait to avoid problems later on. in any case you have to be very lucky to win, plus if you charge egypt then it's better to have a low case number because they sometimes hit the 7% ceiling. this is my opinion

gmn84y

actually, raevsky is right, it doesn't matter so much whether kuwait is eligible for the lottery or not. HOWEVER, all the importance is placed on what your parents were doing in kuwait at the time you were born there. if they were just in transit or visiting or otherwise non-residents AND you can prove this, then you can charge to egypt which is their native country. i still think you should put down kuwait to avoid problems later on. in any case you have to be very lucky to win, plus if you charge egypt then it's better to have a low case number because they sometimes hit the 7% ceiling. this is my opinion
all thing i know about KUWAIT i was born there and my birth certificate prove that i was born in KUWAIT but my parents are EGYPTIAN AND they were working in KUWAIT but i can not prove it , it was very long time ago
i have only my EGYPTIAN birth certificate telling that i was born in KUWAIT , no thing more !!
Is there a change in my case?
i don't care if i can be eligible under KUWAIT or EGYPT ,i just care for some thing correct

they were working in KUWAIT but i can not prove it
Claiming country through parents requires some proof. You need to prove one of them was born in Egypt and another one not in Kuwait. You also need to prove they were there temporary when you was born there.
If you have no proof, do not claim Egypt.

Let's figure it out.

my parents were born in EGYPT and they are EGYPTIAN Citizenship
They were working in Kuwait (working visa) but they were not citizenship in KUWAIT

all thing i know about KUWAIT i was born there and my birth certificate prove that i was born in KUWAIT but my parents are EGYPTIAN AND they were working in KUWAIT but i can not prove it , it was very long time ago
i have only my EGYPTIAN birth certificate telling that i was born in KUWAIT , no thing more !!
Is there a change in my case?
i don't care if i can be eligible under KUWAIT or EGYPT ,i just care for some thing correct

you have to claim Kuwait as your country of chargeability. because you have no proof you won't be able to claim egypt. don't let anyone talk you into picking egypt because you will most likely be disqualified for it.

Claiming country through parents requires some proof. You need to prove one of them was born in Egypt and another one not in Kuwait. You also need to prove they were there temporary when you was born there.
excuse me raevsky i don't want claim through parents i want only look to my status !!
both of KUWAIT and EGYPT are eligible and i want know what should be my answer ?
i don't seek to increase my chance to win dv lottery
why should i use parents eligibility if i can claim eligibility to myself?
i just want know if i can answer yes or no

You can claim Egypt only if:
1) You are married to a person that was born in Egypt
or
2) If one of your parents was born in Egypt AND your parents were temporary in Kuwait the time you were born.

If you feel that 1) or 2) applies to you and you have the appropriate paperwork to prove your case then choose Egypt.

That's all.

how about if i am eligible for 2 cases (i am eligible through country of birth) and i am eligible through my parents too
can i choose any one of the 2 country ?
or i have to choose number 2 only if i can not be ineligible in number 1 ?
i am sorry if i ask a lot of question but want understand all cases

how about if i am eligible for 2 cases (i am eligible through country of birth) and i am eligible through my parents too
can i choose any one of the 2 country ?
or i have to choose number 2 only if i can not be ineligible in number 1 ?
If you really wligible from both countries (that is not clear to me that you are eligible from Egypt), then you can choose from which country to apply.
You could choose Kuwait or you could choose Egypt, and the final selection is on the electronic entry form.
If 1 is not eligible, you have to choose 2 only.

But 1 is eligible as well as 2, so that is your truly choice - exclusive 1 or 2. I repeat, if you are eligible through Egypt and if you could prove that

excuse me raevsky i don't want claim through parents i want only look to my status !!
both of KUWAIT and EGYPT are eligible and i want know what should be my answer ?
why should i use parents eligibility if i can claim eligibility to myself?
Your chances to be selected from Egypt are much higher than from Kuwait. That is why

I am dealing with this chargeability issue also for myself. My advise to you is to put your country of birth. This way "no questions asked" and less headache for you. Remember that this is not a legal advise but this my personal opinion.

Actually, if you do not care about your chance to win, do not participate. The only difference between participating and not participating is the odds to win. If you do not participate, they are 0. Not participating is easy - you do not have to ask questions and do anything at all.

Raevsky, little off-topic question. How common is it to claim spouses/parents country of chargeability to increase your chances? I mean in case if your own country of birth is eligible. And do you know of anyone at all who has been questioned by CO on interview about the reason of choosing different country of chargeability? I want to know this to have an idea how often CO's come across such cases and if it is a "routine" for them and if they are familiar with cross-chargeability rules.

Raevsky, little off-topic question. How common is it to claim spouses/parents country of chargeability to increase your chances?
That depends. For a smart person it is very common if you have a choice.

I mean in case if your own country of birth is eligible. And do you know of anyone at all who has been questioned by CO on interview about the reason of choosing different country of chargeability?
CO does not case about the reason. All they want to know you are eligible

I want to know this to have an idea how often CO's come across such cases and if it is a "routine" for them and if they are familiar with cross-chargeability rules.
COs have not read instuctions that say "if your country is not eligible...", so they do not even ask that question. Using alternate chargeability is you right and that is what they deal with.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071010132644/http://www.wolfsdorf.com/whyyouneedattorney.htm

DIVERSITY VISA LOTTERY

Reasons Why Attorney Processing Can be Helpful!
by Bernard P. Wolfsdorf, Esquire

The question "Do I need a lawyer for the lottery?" is frequently asked. Here is the answer!

(b) Cross-charging from a lower allocation region to a higher allocation region. The DV program has six separate regional lotteries: Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, Oceania, and South America.

A Japanese-born national (Asia) who is married to a European-born national can cross-charge to Europe and automatically increase the prospect of selection by almost 200%. In FY 2004, Europe had 35,868 visas allocated whereas Asia had 19,599 visas allocated (1.8 times as many visas). The statistic here is probably underestimated as Asia almost certainly has more individuals applying.
Should you wish to review your options, we invite you to contact
Bernard P. Wolfsdorf, Stephen M. Dewar,
Avi Friedman, Rita Kushner Sostrin,
Tien-Li Loke Walsh, or Naveen Rahman
at (800) VISA-LAW or (310) 573-4242 (310) 573-4242

Actually, if you do not care about your chance to win, do not participate. The only difference between participating and not participating is the odds to win. If you do not participate, they are 0. Not participating is easy - you do not have to ask questions and do anything at all.
it's by luck my chance maybe 100% or 0%, and i asked this question i don't know which country is eligible to me