Need for an EAD!!

Jaggy

Registered Users (C)
I have a very basic query what is the need for an EAD if you are on H1B since it is safe to keep ur H1B status and not use EAD why do we really need one?. I am on H1B right now and my wife will be on H1B since Oct 1st(H4 to H1b). Also some people have suggested that if your H1B expires(mine is expiring on 31st may 2005) then u can work on EAD, agreed but what if you dont want to give up ur H1B status at all till of course the gc comes through?. Is there any other need for EAD which I am missing out, pls helpp!!
thanks for ur efforts!!!!

No, there is no need of EAD, other than employment purpose. It's always advisable to keep extending you H1 status (if extendable) until you get your GC.

i would still get one!!

i would still get one...just in case of a lay off..or job change. new employers prefer EAD vs new H1's.

u can get one and keep it in your closet...just dont use it.

think of it as insurance..!

nikbuds said:
i would still get one...just in case of a lay off..or job change. new employers prefer EAD vs new H1's.

u can get one and keep it in your closet...just dont use it.

think of it as insurance..!
nikhuds: So the EAD doesn't matter to your H1 as long as you don't use it, right? IC

Let us assume that there is a layoff and i have to switch employers and I have an EAD and work for the other employer with EAD but again I am giving up my H1B status and the new rule does not allow you to change unless it has been 6 months right?

Jaggy said:
Let us assume that there is a layoff and i have to switch employers and I have an EAD and work for the other employer with EAD but again I am giving up my H1B status and the new rule does not allow you to change unless it has been 6 months right?

The old and new rules say nothing of the sort. What they do say is that the I-485 must have been pending for at least 180 days when it is ajudicated. The only thing that the new rules state is that an approved I-140 may be withdrawn if the I-485 has been pending less than 180 days.