Need advice?

sater2006

Hi, one of my friends who are originally from Iraq, his B1 visa (90 days) has been approved.
my questions is?
*could he apply for asylum while he carried a visa and where he should doing that at the airport or inside the country?
*what is the Iraqi people situation regarding asylum in usa?
*what is the difference between asylum & refugee?

Thank you

I'm going to try to answer some of your questions, but I'm no lawyer.

The basic difference between asylee and refugee is that you apply to be an asylee when you are already in the US. In your friend's case, if he comes here with his B1 visa (which is a visitor's visa, right?), he has to apply for asylum within one year of being here. Also, he should never go into illegal status while in here.
On the other hand, a refugee is approved outside US. They get their papers to come here as refugees. I'm not familiar with that status or how to apply for it.

If anyone needs to correct this, please do so. I hope this helps to clear up some of your questions.

Your friend is in good standing now if wants to apply for asylum.

There are many ways people get asylum, but two are common. One is asking asylum when the asylum seeker is within the US terrotory. The other one is asking asylum at the port of entry. I don't know the location of your friend, but if he has visa and he is in the US, he should ask for asylum while his visa is still valid. If the visa expires, and he can't renew he will have difficult in applying for asylum and staying here. Also there is a one year limit on when to apply for asylum, which means asylum seekers must apply asylum within the first year of their presence in the US. If your friend is from Iraq, I am sure there is different asylum process for Iraqs. I don't if that process applies to all Iraqis in all times or a specific time period in the past.

As regards refugees, once you friend's asylum is approved, he can sponser his relatives, including his parents, siblings uder 21 as refugee. His wife and children, he can sponser as derative asylees, but they must live outside Iraq for them to qualify refugee status. Good luck for your friend, and tell him that he needs to apply for asylum while he is in status. I don't think he will trouble getting one, given what is happening in Iraq.......

Not parents

An asylee can't bring their parents as derivative of a principal asylum granted. Only Children under 21 and wife.

Colombian PR said:
An asylee can't bring their parents as derivative of a principal asylum granted. Only Children under 21 and wife.[/QUOTE

Colombain: You always try to refute what others say. You don't contribute anything at all, and that is bad.

As regards your claim, my wife was granted asylum in the US, and she sponsered her parents, her siblings under 21, and her childer under 21 and her spouse. All of them are here. Also, I worked with IRC, which is non for profit organization that helps refugees as case manager in Winter of 2006. They have list of countries elligible of the refugee program. I don't remember if Iraq included, but I have asssisted many asylee filed for affadivit of relationship for their parents. Each year, they change the law, and there are some times when they allow only childer under under 21. This year, an asylee or refugee who is coming from an approved country, may sponser their parents, childer under 21, their brothers under 21. There was one time when they could sponser brothers and sisters over 21, but now they can't. they can also sponser an adopted child who lives with the family at the time of sponsering.

Goo luck

No Parents

Form I-730, refugee/asylee petition says clearly on question 2: Who is elegible to receive acompaning or following to joint benefits; and the answer is... tatatatata.....your spouse and or unmarrier children under 21.

and then it says: A petition may NOT be approved for the following persons....
tatatatata...a parent, sister, brother, grandparent, grandchildren, nephew, nice, uncle, aunt, cousin or in-law.

It's not what I say, its what the law says.

And you are right I refute what you saiy because YOU ARE WRONG

Sorry, you should be gratefull instead of being mad. It's very irresponsable to give wrong advise to people who are asking.

Colombian PR said:
Form I-730, refugee/asylee petition says clearly on question 2: Who is elegible to receive acompaning or following to joint benefits; and the answer is... tatatatata.....your spouse and or unmarrier children under 21.

and then it says: A petition may NOT be approved for the following persons....
tatatatata...a parent, sister, brother, grandparent, grandchildren, nephew, nice, uncle, aunt, cousin or in-law.

It's not what I say, its what the law says.

And you are right I refute what you saiy because YOU ARE WRONG

Sorry, you should be gratefull instead of being mad. It's very irresponsable to give wrong advise to people who are asking.

See how ignorant you and arrogant you are. Form I-730 is used to apply for visa for you children and your espouse. you can not use if to sponser your parents. The forms used to sponser your parents are separate form. They have nothing to do with I-730.

I think the misunderstanding is that both Faysal and Columbian are talking about different things. Colmbian is talking about derivative asylum and Faysal is talking about Refugee status.

I think

I don't think Columbian PR and Faysal are talking about two different things. I honestly think that Faysal is just speaking out of his ass :D Which is the case with him most of time. He just loves to blabber and keep typing away and keep coming up with his self made rules and scaring others propaganda. He apologized last time for his habbits and blamed it on his poor language skills when he called other asylees who go back for whatever reasons "Fake" and now he is on the same rampage again in the other thread.
Could you "Mr. know it all" share the form number that is used by asylees to sponsor their parents? Let me help you, get your head out of your ass and and stop looking there for that form because there ain't none. Kapeesh? Judge Judy might be retiring in 2011, sharpen your resume and apply for that job. You'll play an excellent judge on T.V. once you get some professional help of a Licenced Psychiatrist. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
The bandits are gathering momentum; my conclusion is: you guys are one of three. You are vicious haters, who are jealous about my insights; you are irrational and don’t understand a logic and law; or you love me, and wanna chat with me.

The purpose of this forum is to share experience. We have a colleague here. He asked us our opinion on an important question. I shared experiences with him. Instead of trying to help the guy, you are sniffing errors in my post, reading it word by word, proof reading it, and eventually you turn the whole thread into a battle ground. You don’t provide any new ideas.

The asked forum members a particular question. His questions are included what is the difference between asylum and refugee. That is what he needs answer.

As far as I-730 goes, I know asylees can use this form to sponsor their kids under 21 and their spouse. To use this form, you could be of nationality around the world. All you need is to fill it out and sent it to the service that has jurisdiction over you area. However, there is special program that is equally open asylees and refugees alike. To be eligible you to participate this program you must come from a specially designated country. Congress designate this. As I remember the list includes Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Somalia, and about 6 more. Under this program, you need to go to one non-for-profit organization that is participating the program. They help you fill out the forms. They have their own forms. Also they help you resettle your family. Under this program, asylees can bring their parents, children and siblings…

There really individuals whose contribution I admire; among them; thankfull, wantmygreencardnow, calel, anakara, morning, mtgirl; I admire their insight; you critics make the forum meaningful those individuals or stop insulting people…be moral

Be logical

If you can only learn to speak when you have the correct info or just keep your pie hole shut.
Like USCIS is going to approve an immigration benefit based on a non profit organizations form, yeah right. Whatever you are smoking, you need to share it with the rest. We do proof read your posts, especially yours, since you are amongst the few elite group of people that post a lot of "Mis"information and we don't want you to steer any body in the wrong direction.
Why don't we post much? We do, when we have something to add or need to correct an idiot like yourself. Otherwise, we like to listen more than speak which you should try sometime. It can really hide a majority of your idiocracy.

I think some of you need to investigate what Faysal is talking about before you make conclusions that he was wrong or he does not know what he is talking about. I myself witnessed a lot of family bringing their parents and siblings through IRC and I brought my family members through that program. Just like what Faysal said, IRC sponsors Asylums or Refuges family members that are outside of there country of origin. So people please please stop making judgment for something you don’t know about.

This website has been a great help for most of us, because of people like Faysal information. there is a lot of things that we don't know about and that is how we learn by sharing new information. If you always come back and disrespect people that are trying to help, we might not have anyone to help us with good information that will be important for all of us here.

again, please ask before you open your mouth and talk about something you don’t know or you are not sure about.

For your information, I have brought my family through IRC so once again Faysal is right. So please stop been ignorant and be open to others opinion or information.

explain...

Brook45, Care to elaborate the whole procedure??? Especially USCIS portion.
BTW this is not the only thing that Faysal said to be wrong. Go through his other posts about going back to COP where he passed the judgement about everyone who went back to COP for whatever reason is a fake asylee. So just chill before you run his election campaign...

I don’t usually like wasting my time arguing with who is right or what is right but here is for you people that think they know what they are talking about and want to disrespect people for giving correct information.
Here is some of the information about the program Faysal is talking about

http://www.theirc.org/media/www/family_reunion.html

So please do your reading and keep your judgment to yourself

Punjabi_Munda said:
Brook45, Care to elaborate the whole procedure??? Especially USCIS portion.
BTW this is not the only thing that Faysal said to be wrong. Go through his other posts about going back to COP where he passed the judgement about everyone who went back to COP for whatever reason is a fake asylee. So just chill before you run his election campaign...

Yes you are right; I should not get involve with your problems. That is between the two of you. However, when people ask for help and you are misinforming them by making a conclusion fast without checking your information I have to point it out. This person asks for help and you are giving this person wrong information just for the sake of proving Faysal wrong.

This website is open for anyone to share information that we don’t know about. There is no right or wrong information here. Even if it is wrong there is always something good that comes out of the wrong infor., in this case knowledge. Many people don’t know about the IRC program because they think it is wrong. Since people like you or other people who doesn’t know about the information comes and argue like they know something about they ended up not taking advantage of the program. All I am saying is that don’t disrespect people for been wrong without doing your investigations, because you are also wrong and misinforming people by trying to be the person ‘I know it all’.

Sater2006,

Your question is about asylee & refugee. Don't get mixed up with I-730. Its not a form to request for protection. If you are in Iraq, UNHCR can help you locate a re-settlement program(either at U.S Embassy or through United Nations) to be settled in the United States if you are bonafied refugee. Nasrmobin is a refugee and you can private message him as to how he attained that status.

If you are in the country, you can apply a request for asylum and will be interviewed and processed accordingly. Its easier if you can get a refugee status from oustide United States.

Brook

Brook: Your link still talk about just spouse and unmarried children under 21.

"Following to Join": If the overseas family is in a location that will allow quick processing and the refugee in the U.S. is newly arrived, it may be possible to process the family (spouse and unmarried children under 21) without filing a Visa-93 application. The key is that the refugee should tell the resettlement caseworker immediately after arrival if there is a spouse and/or children overseas.

NO PARENTS

Ok, this is my last post. Certain countries can bring their family members trough IRC. If you are interested you should call IRC and find out how it can be done. For instance, I am Ethiopian, and Ethiopian got their Asylum case granted in the United States can sponsor their parents and siblings who live outside of Ethiopia. This is only done in Certain States. Most of the IRC in East cost doesn't do this but in West Cost where I live, people can bringing their family members through this program.

There is not a lot of information online about this program but if you go there they can tell you what country is illegible for this program. One person commented that non-profit organization doesn’t have a power when it comes to bringing Immigrants. That is not true. I myself worked in Catholic Charities where Immigrants from the whole world is sponsored trough their program. You have no idea how powerful they are when it comes to refugees. I am Asylum and non-profit organizations have helped my case and bring some of my family members.

Faysal and the other people like me might be wrong but it would not heart you to call and investigate the information so that you can maybe take advantage on the program or let people that can take advantage of this program.

Learn from Wantmygreencard and see how he contributes his ideas without getting into anyone else's business.

brook45 said:
Ok, this is my last post. Certain countries can bring their family members trough IRC. If you are interested you should call IRC and find out how it can be done. For instance, I am Ethiopian, and Ethiopian got their Asylum case granted in the United States can sponsor their parents and siblings who live outside of Ethiopia. This is only done in Certain States. Most of the IRC in East cost doesn't do this but in West Cost where I live, people can bringing their family members through this program.

There is not a lot of information online about this program but if you go there they can tell you what country is illegible for this program. One person commented that non-profit organization doesn’t have a power when it comes to bringing Immigrants. That is not true. I myself worked in Catholic Charities where Immigrants from the whole world is sponsored trough their program. You have no idea how powerful they are when it comes to refugees. I am Asylum and non-profit organizations have helped my case and bring some of my family members.

Faysal and the other people like me might be wrong but it would not heart you to call and investigate the information so that you can maybe take advantage on the program or let people that can take advantage of this program.

Brooks: Thanks for coming out and sharing your experience. These people don't care about logic. They just wanna give me hard time. I told them what you are telling. I worked with IRC is seattle as case manager, and helped many asylee Ethoipians sponser their families. and I myself sponsered my parents and they got denied. I appealled the decision. and this morning got an answer to my appeal; again a denial:

I don't have problem with they are saying; but they are talking without reading..