Need Advice--Canadian Spouse

Replicate

Registered Users (C)
My to be bride is Canadian. She does not want to apply for immigration in US. I am a permanent resident in US.

Is there an easier way for her to stay with me here without applying for immigration?

Any guidance you can provide will be highly appreciated.

My to be bride is Canadian. She does not want to apply for immigration in US. I am a permanent resident in US.

Is there an easier way for her to stay with me here without applying for immigration?

Any guidance you can provide will be highly appreciated.

You're getting married and she doesn't want to immigrate to the US? There's no way wound this one as she'll most likely be barred entry (based on intent) into the US once you do get married and attempts to enter the US to visit you.
What's her reason for not wanting to immigrate?

Bob,

thanks for your response. She does not intend on giving up her canadian citizenship and our intention is to move to Canada in some years. We have not researched yet whether dual citizenship is allowed or not.

If we need to apply, that would be no problem. Just wanted to see if there was any other way.

I am waiting 2 years for my name check to go through for Citizenship. Can I apply now or should I wait until I become a citizen? From what i gather, the process is long. Will she have to stay in Canada until all is done for her or is there a temporary visa (or the like) can be obtained while the application is pending.

THANK YOU.

Example

Bob,

thanks for your response. She does not intend on giving up her canadian citizenship and our intention is to move to Canada in some years. We have not researched yet whether dual citizenship is allowed or not.

If we need to apply, that would be no problem. Just wanted to see if there was any other way.

I am waiting 2 years for my name check to go through for Citizenship. Can I apply now or should I wait until I become a citizen? From what i gather, the process is long. Will she have to stay in Canada until all is done for her or is there a temporary visa (or the like) can be obtained while the application is pending.

THANK YOU.

I knew somebody who was in the same situation as yours. His wife kept making trips back n forth (Canada & US) till her husband finally got his citizenship and applied I-485 for her. She has a GC now and they are all set living happily in Chicago now.

Her Canadian citizenship will remain intact when she immigrates. Her Canadian citizenship will remain intact (under current laws) even if she becomes a US citizen. Trust me, I know a little about this specific topic :)

She does not intend on giving up her canadian citizenship and our intention is to move to Canada in some years.

Her Canadian citizenship will remain intact when she immigrates. Her Canadian citizenship will remain intact (under current laws) even if she becomes a US citizen. Trust me, I know a little about this specific topic :)

Triple Bhai then please advise how to do this? Iam from pakistan too.

Same as many of us originally from Canada have done. Get the papers to bring her into the US and have her move here. That's all you need to do. If she wants to become an American citizen that will allow for you to move back to the US if you wish in the future upon moving back to Canada. If not, then once you are done in the US, you just move right back to Canada and then that will be it.

You never give up your Canadian citizenship when taking on another citizenship at all unless you specifically request to have your Canadian citizenship revoked and you then would have to pyscially appear before the magistrate (think that's what it's called) in Canada and renounce your citizenship. Other wise she will just hold both if she decided to become and American...

Last edited by a moderator:
Same as many of us originally from Canada have done. Get the papers to bring her into the US and have her move here. That's all you need to do. If she wants to become an American citizen that will allow for you to move back to the US if you wish in the future upon moving back to Canada. If not, then once you are done in the US, you just move right back to Canada and then that will be it.

You never give up your Canadian citizenship when taking on another citizenship at all unless you specifically request to have your Canadian citizenship revoked and you then would have to pyscially appear before the magistrate (think that's what it's called) in Canada and renounce your citizenship. Other wise she will just hold both if she decided to become and American...

Thanks bro. Any idea what "papers" will be appropriate. Someone at work mentioned that try TN as it is simple. She isnt intending to work but if thats what it is then thats what it is. Once I get citizenship i will just get her a green card to serve the purpose for now.