Need Advice ASAP, Please

Celtic1888

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I'm asking this on behalf of a friend!

He & his US Citizen wife got married in the UK where they were going to settle, however due to family problems they came to the USA. He applied for GC Spouse based from the UK.

He has travelled back & forth for the past 16months using the VW Program(I know they should not have been doing this).They have obviously had forced seperations due to him having to go back to the UK many times.

Now he is back in the UK having had his interview & is waiting for a "phonecall" to tell him his GC has been approved & a courier wll call at prearranged time to uplift his passport & take it to have the "stamp" put in it.

As far as he knows he is waiting for FBI clearance but he is under the impression that it should take only 2weeks?

Is this the correct info he has? I have seen over the many months of reading peoples backgrounds that the checks can takes at least months if not years?

Any info will be much appreciated! Thankyou!

did he have his immigrant visa interview yet?

security checks sometimes may take months and months.

is waiting for a "phonecall" to tell him his GC has been approved & a courier wll call at prearranged time to uplift his passport & take it to have the "stamp" put in it.
I still don't understand - is he in the States doing AOS, or is he outside the US doing consular processing?

if it's the latter, then he will be getting an immigrant visa, not a GC. When he enters the US with the immigrant visa, he will become a US resident.

If he is doing AOS, there is no courrier involved, and he will be getting a GC.

Hi, I'm asking this on behalf of a friend!

He & his US Citizen wife got married in the UK where they were going to settle, however due to family problems they came to the USA. He applied for GC Spouse based from the UK.

He has travelled back & forth for the past 16months using the VW Program(I know they should not have been doing this).They have obviously had forced seperations due to him having to go back to the UK many times.

Now he is back in the UK having had his interview & is waiting for a "phonecall" to tell him his GC has been approved & a courier wll call at prearranged time to uplift his passport & take it to have the "stamp" put in it.

As far as he knows he is waiting for FBI clearance but he is under the impression that it should take only 2weeks?

Is this the correct info he has? I have seen over the many months of reading peoples backgrounds that the checks can takes at least months if not years?

Any info will be much appreciated! Thankyou!

My FBI Name check took nearly 2yrs to clear...would have been nice if it was only a couple weeks.

I still don't understand - is he in the States doing AOS, or is he outside the US doing consular processing?
Consular processing. These days, after the interview they send back the passport to you via courier.

For consular processing they normally do the background checks before the interview, so once having been interviewed it is generally valid to assume those checks have been completed.

He has still not received anything.

Lucymo it is consular processing as you said.

What would happen if he decided to come back out to see his wife before its issued?

Thanks for all your help!

Name check review is done by the FBI, in parallel with USCIS processing. Looking at I-485 applications in the US, the background check takes around 3-4 months from fingerprint date to pass the initial name-based screening. If there is no approval in that 3-4 month timeframe, then most likely the background check failed initial screening and is queued up for manual review. The manual review queue takes forever, sometimes years.

I assume CP fingerprints take a little bit longer for mailing to the US. If its been over 5 months from the fingerprints, you may want to start looking at timelines in the name-check threads to see how long you may be waiting. It may be faster to apply for K3.

-ML

Hi Guys,
I've quick question. You guys have helped me out before so I'm hoping you'll do it again. I'm contemplating marrying a girl who's here on visitor's visa (valid till 2010). I'm a US perm resident (since June 07) and own a small software business in the US.

Would she be able to stay here legally if I marry her? What should I do? Any thoughts suggestions?