ND 7/05 approved

floyd

Registered Users (C)
Saw "status can't be found" late last night. Some of you may remember that I had to file a I-602 for false claim of us citizenship, so I was a tiny bit worried that it could mean an interview at the local office or even a denial.

I even called the 800 number, where it stated that "because of a problem with our systems, we can't look up your status".

I was expecting an update on on Monday, but saw this right before 5 PM EST:

Receipt Number: LIN052215xxxx

Application Type: I485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On February 3, 2006, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready.

My wife and I applied together, and she got approved in Dec 05. I knew that I had the I-602 hanging over me, plus a name-check and frankly am surprised at this.

Now some pure speculation:

1. I intentionally did not use a lawyer for the I-602: basically wrote a very polite letter telling them I have 2 us citizen children who can't speak my native language and will be in trouble if I am sent back. The law is murky about false claim of us citizenship, and a lawyer told me a long time ago I will NEVER get a green card, which is why I applied so late. But I figured that because USCIS sent me a filled-out I-602, they intend to approve it (if the law pointed to denial, why bother sending me the form--just deny it.)

2. I've been in this country for 8 years since my asylum. Paid my taxes, held steady jobs, and the most trouble I got into was a speeding ticket. I actually think the l-o-n-g stay with a clear record helped with the namecheck. If I've been here for only 2 years, the namecheck would have been more problamatic. Again, this is pure speculation on my part. I believe I read somewhere they go back only 5 years, and if that is true, they didnt have to check in my home country, thus speeding things up. I know there are at least 2 documented reports of someone with the same name causing trouble elsewhere, and I was afriad they'd think I was the same person.

3. My last 2 jobs (financial sector) required me to be fingerprinted and background checked by the FBI. That may have played a part in the speedy name-check clearance, although I doubt it.

I'd like to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for your collected wisdom and support, specially WantMyGCNow for the I-602 template and the continued great work.

I hope to continue on this forum and help each-other out.

Regards

Floyd

Congras.

Now there are two cases of 2005 approved recently, however, with asylum granted in 90s; so I suspected somehow USCIS expedite the handling on these case with these "old" asylees.

floyd said:
Saw "status can't be found" late last night. Some of you may remember that I had to file a I-602 for false claim of us citizenship, so I was a tiny bit worried that it could mean an interview at the local office or even a denial.

I even called the 800 number, where it stated that "because of a problem with our systems, we can't look up your status".

Application Type: I485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On February 3, 2006, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready.

My wife and I applied together, and she got approved in Dec 05. I knew that I had the I-602 hanging over me, plus a name-check and frankly am surprised at this.

1. I intentionally did not use a lawyer for the I-602: basically wrote a very polite letter telling them I have 2 us citizen children who can't speak my native language and will be in trouble if I am sent back. The law is murky about false claim of us citizenship, and a lawyer told me a long time ago I will NEVER get a green card, which is why I applied so late. But I figured that because USCIS sent me a filled-out I-602, they intend to approve it (if the law pointed to denial, why bother sending me the form--just deny it.)

2. I've been in this country for 8 years since my asylum. Paid my taxes, held steady jobs, and the most trouble I got into was a speeding ticket. I actually think the l-o-n-g stay with a clear record helped with the namecheck. If I've been here for only 2 years, the namecheck would have been more problamatic. Again, this is pure speculation on my part. I believe I read somewhere they go back only 5 years, and if that is true, they didnt have to check in my home country, thus speeding things up. I know there are at least 2 documented reports of someone with the same name causing trouble elsewhere, and I was afriad they'd think I was the same person.

3. My last 2 jobs (financial sector) required me to be fingerprinted and background checked by the FBI. That may have played a part in the speedy name-check clearance, although I doubt it.

I'd like to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for your collected wisdom and support, specially WantMyGCNow for the I-602 template and the continued great work.

Regards

Floyd

Congrats !

If you recall your previous thread, actually I thought you would be approved much earlier than other 2005 ND because your unique long history with CIS.

But with two 2005 ND approval cases, I think our status with INS is really dependent on luck.. and on who is adjudicating our cases...

Hello,

My warmest congratulations to you. I hope you are doing something wild this weekend to celebrate. :D :D :D

I guess had you received proper legal advice and applied at your first available opportunity, you would be a US citizen by now. Well, look to the future and do not cry over spilled milk.

Just for the record, a false claim of citizenship would bar someone from getting a green card under normal circumstances. However asylum is not normal. The law has a very generous waiver standard for asylees. Almost anything can be waived at the discretion of the officer. In fact, they were giving out waivers to people with violent criminal records until Mr. Ashcroft stepped in to stop that four years ago. :(

floyd
My congratulations and best wishes to you and your wife! :)
amtbooks
I suspected somehow USCIS expedite the handling on these case with these "old" asylees.
My suspicion is that's not so, judging by the number of old cases, represented in this forum alone.
GrassRoot
I think our status with INS is really dependent on luck.. and on who is adjudicating our cases...
Totally agree. I cannot find any reasonable explanation to the fact that preliminary steps in adjudicating my I-485 have been scheduled way behind much newer cases. Pure luck it is. And now, on top of this, I have to deal with the nunc pro tunc crap, which may easily mean another couple of years' delay. :mad:

It's wonderful ..wonderful achievement.
I told you the truth ..this my first time I felt like I'm the one who been approved.
your approval path show us mixture of honnesty ,courage and endurance.
I'm so happy not only for you.. but for your whole family.

congrats.......!!!!!!!

it is way faster than most people expected...means that they are really doing some work....

Gosh, you are so lucky.. Congratulations! Probably my case is now one of the oldest -- Feb 1997 and still waiting. Next week I plan to send a nother letter requesting uscis to consider my case..

floyd said:

Current Status:

Regards

Floyd

Floyd,

Congratulations! Glad it worked out for you. Just out of curiousity...what is it that you did that led to them requiring you to file I-602?

froff