Naturalization Interview in One Hour!

shie0023

Registered Users (C)
Alright, here it goes nothing! Had my first N400 denied once in 2001 because I was still on probation for my 2nd DUI/DWI. Now let see how it turns out!

I have two DUI/DWIs, 1st in 1998, 2nd in 1999 (probation until 04/21/2003).

I'll share my interview experiences later when I get back (hopefully with good news)!

Wish me luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, here it goes nothing! Had my first N400 denied once in 2001 because I was still on probation for my 2nd DUI/DWI. Now let see how it turns out!

I'll share my interview experiences later I get back!

Wish me luck!

Good luck !! Do you have legal representation or have you enclosed a letter explaining circumstances with your 2nd application?

I'll share my interview experiences later when I get back (hopefully with good news)!

Wish me luck!

Good luck Shie.... and post more good news for us :D

!!!

My interview appointment was scheduled for 2:15 PM, I arrived to the District Office at 1:30 PM. Things started rough immediately, as I was going through security on the main floor, the police officer asked for the interview letter and an identification document of any sort. I gave him my driver's license and my interview letter.

The police officer immediately said, "listen, you are 15 minutes too early!, I can't let you in!" On the interview letter, it states, you must arrive no earlier than 30 minutes before your schedule interview time, I was 40 minutes early!? Didn't know arriving early is a crime now days?

So, I waited, then the security guards finally let me in.

I checked in by giving my interview letter to the USCIS check in employee, she told me to sit down in a bored, monotoned, uninterested voice and so I did. When I arrived, there were ONLY two groups of people ahead of me, one Mexican lady with her Caucasian husband and an older white skined gentlemen with an European accent. One by one, they were called in and I got to see there were only two USCIS immigration officers conducting the interview, one older white guy and one younger white lady (kind of good looking).

So I'm sitting there thinking, OK, I'll be next and that's when another applicant walked into the waiting room. He's white with an European accent also. So now there are two of us in the waiting room, but with my luck, this other applicant who came after me was called in BEFORE me!!?

Again, there I was again, sitting all by myself and by this time it was already 2:20 PM (5 minutes past my scheduled appointment). Finally, I was called in around 2:55 PM (1.5 hours later) and my immigration officer was the older white dude.

Fist thing, he introduced himself and walked me to his office. He shuts the door and asked me to stand and raise my right hand to accept the interview oath. After that, he asked me to sit down and to give him my "green card", driver's license, and all my passports. First question he asked was "why is your name different from your "green card" than your driver's license? He was not happy. He then asked, "did you officially change your name?" I siad no, again, he became angry! He threw my documents down on his desk and we begin to go over my N400 application, EVERY QUESTION!

We had to update a lot of the information on the application because when I filed the N400, I was in another state so I had all new address and contact information, changed jobs, and etc, etc, etc,...

Then we finally got to the part of the N400 where questions were about my arrests, convictions, run in with the law. The immigration officer proceeded to DRILL me with a ton of questions on how, why, where, and what were you thinking about getting TWO DWIs? He then shared a story about how his niece were hurt by a drunk driver!!! At this time, I was peeping my pants, but I held my composure. After this section was over, he then proceeds to say, "you were denied once before weren't you?", I answered "yes" because I was on probation until 04/21/2003.

Then what I was afraid the most had happened, the immigration officer said, "we need 5 years of good moral character", you were still on probation on 04/20/2003, today is only 04/01/2008, which means within the last 5 years you were still on probation, therefore, you are not eligible for Naturalization today due to infringement of the 5-year good moral character rule!"

He said, "I can not recommend you for approval at this time!"

What's more fcuked up was, he still made me take the US History exam by giving me 10 questions:

Who's the current VP?
What do we celebrate on the 4th of July?
What is the Constitution?
Can Constitution be changed?
What is the National anthem of the US?
What is the head executive of a city government called?
Which President was the first Commander-in-Chief of the US Army and Navy?
What is the highest part of the Judiciary Branch of our Government?
Why are there 100 Senators in the US Senate?
How many full terms can a President serve?

He had me write:

"I came to (the city where I interviewed) today for my interview!"

He then had the audacity to say, "congrats, you've at least passed the civic test!", got up from his chair, opens the door, then says, have a great day and you'll receive a final decision letter in the mail in the next 4-6 weeks!!! :eek:

I can't believe this is really happening to me!!!

Should I hire a lawyer?

shie0023, sorry to learn that it went this way. As I type this, I am hoping that you post another message saying that the first one was an April 1 joke.

Anyways, based on your post, I think the officer was not 100% sure on how to finalize your case. He must have thought that you would probably be fine, and therefore he made you take the civics test so that you at least get that out of the way. He'll most probably consult with his boss and that's when you'll get to know the final outcome. I would not rule anything out at this point.

I'll suggest going for a 1-time consultation with an immigration lawyer who has handled DWI cases and explaining your case completely. It may sound like an overkill, but it's better to get something going rather than just wait in anxiety. Also, maybe go for an InfoPass as soon as possible to see if you can find out more on developments in your case.

All the best! I hope it works out for you, without the need for a lawyer.

OY

Sorry to hear you had to go through such an experience. I would wait till you get an official response from USCIS on your case before deciding to hire a lawyer. If the decision comes back negative, you'll have the chance to appeal your case. If that happens, then you should seek legal advice from a lawyer before submitting your appeal.

I can't believe this is really happening to me!!!

Should I hire a lawyer?

My opinion is that you should have come to the interview with a lawyer to begin with - everyone who've had arrests or convictions should hire a lawyer who is experienced in both immigration and criminal cases.

In your case, wait until you hear from USCIS, and hire a lawyer if the decision turns out to be negative.

Obviously its water under the bridge now, but I am curious why you didn't wait the full 5yrs until your probation rolled outside the CIMT window. You were so close...

What I think might happen is that you may be approved in a month or so. Yes the IO was being a d*ck, and it sounds like he had his personal reasons, however all cases are reviewed by a senior officer so there is still hope.

If you have to appeal, that will fall outside the 5yr window.

Should I hire a lawyer?
I don't think the lawyer can do anything now, except help you with an appeal if you are denied.

You should have had the lawyer at the interview. When the lawyer is with you they are less likely to bully you like that.

I also think it is BS that they count the probationary period in the 5-year window, even if you had no probation violations. I wonder if there has been a court case on that. To me, they should look at the date you committed the offense or the date of any probation violation, whichever comes later ... not the end date of the probation.

I am sometimes suspicious of certain stories, but I think this one checks. There have been earlier posts mentioning the DWI by this poster. I would agree with boatbod and others. The case will go to supervisor, there is a chance the case will be approved. If it is not, then it would be time to contact a lawyer and appeal. Perhaps there is a chance to do another interview without having to reapply, by which time the five years would have elapsed. I have read that it is possible to ask for rescheduling the interview if the interview is going wrong, but I don't know if there is a possibility to ask for a new interview once one has been completed. Anyway, I would try to stay positive on this one, and wait for the letter and then if there is a denial contact the lawyer and see whether it makes sense to appeal.

My 2 cents.

Some of you are right, this is a april fools joke :)

This user has updated immihelp.com(same id on that site too) citizenship tracker and the notes field says "Passed US History exam N400 recommended for approval, Oath on 5/29 @ latest!"
http://www.immihelp.com/tracker/citizenship-tracker.do

Seattle:

You called me out! I was going to reveal my real results at midnight!!

Yes, everyone, some of you are very smart and knew that this was a April Fool's joke all along! Great job AbandoneGreenC, Supercomp, and Ohyeah, you had a hunch!

My experience was actually very pleasant, the immigration officer was very nice and we ended up chatting most of the time while we conducted business.

I do, however, have to mention that the immigration officer did ask for evidence of my tax returns, child support compliance, and DUI probation completion.

He barely said anything about my DUIs. He just stated that they're almost 10 years old and they are way out of the statutory period of 5 years.

So, my application was recommended for approval and my oath date will be no later than 5/29/2008 per the immigration officer. I am so glad that this whole thing is over with especially I was denied back in 2001.

So my case is a great example of having multiple offenses (2 DUIs) and just be patient and let the 5 years pass by and everything will be OK. NO LAWYERS needed!

Thanks for everyone for your support and inputs during my time on here.

Well I guess I should congratulate you, even if I am pissed that I wasted time trying to help a non-existent problem.

Seattle:

So my case is a great example of having multiple offenses (2 DUIs) and just be patient and let the 5 years pass by and everything will be OK. NO LAWYERS needed!

Congrats on passing the interview. And please now that you are almost a Citizen do not get the idea the drunk driving is a fine idea again, okay. DUI does kill innocent people. So congrats again and keep it straight :D

Seattle:

You called me out! I was going to reveal my real results at midnight!!

Yes, everyone, some of you are very smart and knew that this was a April Fool's joke all along! Great job AbandoneGreenC, Supercomp, and Ohyeah, you had a hunch!

My experience was actually very pleasant, the immigration officer was very nice and we ended up chatting most of the time while we conducted business.

So, my application was recommended for approval and my oath date will be no later than 5/29/2008 per the immigration officer. I am so glad that this whole thing is over with especially I was denied back in 2001.

Thanks for everyone for your support and inputs during my time on here.

shie0023: Congratulations! You made my day, I'm happy for you!
I had a feeling all along that things were normal beneath the surface, but at the same time I also had this 1% uneasy feeling. I'm thrilled to read that it all went well. From your posts, it looks like you also changed residences/states along the way: that's another variation you successfully handled.

All the best with your future plans!

OY

Congrats on passing the interview. And please now that you are almost a Citizen do not get the idea the drunk driving is a fine idea again, okay. DUI does kill innocent people. So congrats again and keep it straight :D

Oh no, never meant that DUIs are ever OK, NEVER. I was fortunate that my two mishaps did not involve anyone else and I did not hurt anyone. Don't think for a second that I am proud of my DUIs, I'm ashamed of my wrong doings and I learned from my mistakes.

Me stating that I have 2 DUIs are simply demonstrating that applying for N400 with blemishs on your records is still manageable by yourself if you stay clean and lawful for 5 straight years to establish "good moral character" period and no lawyers are needed.

I was seriously worried that my application would be strongly scrutinized because of the repeated offense, but to my surprise, my immigration officer was cool and chill. There's definitely something to say about getting an immigration officer on a good day and in a good mood on your day of interview.