Naturalization and going abroad..

sallyy

My husband and I want to file for naturalization. We meet all the requirements without any issues per today, and we have a son that's born in the US.
However, my father is very sick and we want to go back to our home country for a while from March to be with him. We can not afford to keep our apartment that we rent in the US while we're there, but are planning on getting a cmra address until we get back. We will work while we are in our home countries to survive financially. We will travel to the US for our naturalization appointments.

How will this affect our chances of being approved for naturalization?

My husband and I want to file for naturalization. We meet all the requirements without any issues per today, and we have a son that's born in the US.
However, my father is very sick and we want to go back to our home country for a while from March to be with him. We can not afford to keep our apartment that we rent in the US while we're there, but are planning on getting a cmra address until we get back. We will work while we are in our home countries to survive financially. We will travel to the US for our naturalization appointments.

File now that way you get your biometrics appointment before you leave . Shouldnt affect anything once you file before you leave and your case gets called before 12 months.

Make sure that your trip will not affect your physical and continous residency. Immigration is tricky nowadays.

If I were at your place. I will stay until I get my passport once for all. Husband will stay for a while (1 BR) until this matter is solved. and you ll travel back and forth.

Naturalization odds depend a great deal on the length of your trip(s) outside the US.

Do you expect the trip, or trips, to last less than 6 months, or longer than 6 months cumulatively? Applying for a reentry permit is one solution to preserve US residence if the trip could be longer than 6 months; however such a trip length could jeopardize chances for Naturalization. Your desire to work overseas suggests a lengthy trip, in which case you might be better off holding off filing for Naturalization.

Naturalization odds depend a great deal on the length of your trip(s) outside the US.

Do you expect the trip, or trips, to last less than 6 months, or longer than 6 months cumulatively? Applying for a reentry permit is one solution to preserve US residence if the trip could be longer than 6 months; however such a trip length could jeopardize chances for Naturalization. Your desire to work overseas suggests a lengthy trip, in which case you might be better off holding off filing for Naturalization.

I do expect to be out of the US more than 6 months cumulatively, yes. My father has Alzheimers and I want to spend time with him now. I have to work to survive financially while there. Will USCIS take family illness into consideration? I am sure I can provide them with documents on my fathers illness. We are planning on applying for re-entry permit before we leave.

Sorry to hear about your dad's health.

A USCIS officer can review your entire immigration file and use his/her discretion adjudicating the n400. If you expect to be out longer than six months cumulatively, you're better of leaving the US with a reentry permit and applying for Naturalization once you're back in the US for good.

Also sorry about your dad.
A re-entry permit will help preserve your green card, but will not protect against breaking continuous residence for naturalization purposes. Agree with 1aurcitizen’s suggestion.