Name discrepancy on passport.

WANDA K

I am about to file for a green card or I-485. My name is Isabel. That is the name on my birth certificate and marriage license. My passport has my name spelt incorrectly as Esabel. My visa and I-94 also have the name Esabel.

What should I do? Should I get an affidavit of name discrepancy? Do I have to get a new passport in the correct name? Any other suggestions?

I know this is a very technical question but I am broke and prefer not to use a lawyer if possible. I have received a lot of good advice here.

I am about to file for a green card or I-485. My name is Isabel. That is the name on my birth certificate and marriage license.
My passport has my name spelt incorrectly as Esabel. My visa and I-94 also have the name Esabel.
---if your name on Birth Certificate is Isabel why you did not got it corrected on your Passport? why you went for Visa stamp with name Esabel? you got Visa with name Esabel and your I-94 has your name Esabel. It means your H1 petition was filed as Esabel and if your LC and I-140 also have your name as Esabel.

What should I do?
-------------Get your name corrected on Birth certificate
Should I get an affidavit of name discrepancy? Do I have to get a new passport in the correct name? Any other suggestions?
-------------get your name corrected on Birth certificate as Esabel Or get Non availably of Birth certificate with name Esabel and then attach the copy of Non Availability.
I know this is a very technical question but I am broke and prefer not to use a lawyer if possible. I have received a lot of good advice here.

--------------------

ginnu said:
-------------Get your name corrected on Birth certificate

It's the passport that must be corrected, not the birth certificate. It will be almost impossible to correct the birth certificate; there would have to be another birth certificate or some other record showing that her true birth name was different than what is on the BC. And she said the passport has an incorrect name.

-------------get your name corrected on Birth certificate as Esabel Or get Non availably of Birth certificate with name Esabel and then attach the copy of Non Availability.
No. Her birth certificate is available and correct.