Name Check Validity?

jksongc

Registered Users (C)
Can any of answer this Q below..
How long is the NAme Check results VALID? when do they normally expire? Do USCIS request for name check after 2 FP?

My Name-check was completed in Jan 2003, given FP2 in april 2004? Still nothing changed from day 1.

Thanks!
RD - OCT 15, 02.

unitednations said:
Hard to say whether it is related to recent finger print or one is about to get approved. Since they do one after the fingerprint as long as the name check is valid then your application can get approved. However, if the time lapses and your application does not get approved after the fingerprint name check then they have to do it all over again.

Some people have thought that by filing for another EAD/AP triggered their 485 approval. I believe that this to be true since USCIS is on record as stating that they do security/name checks for every application. Therefore, if they have to clear this to issue EAD/AP then the valid security check could be used to approve 485.

Just another thing to keep in mind that this is all a mystery. There isn't one source that one can go to to collect all this information as it seems the uscis is very secretive on their procedures regarding name/security check. I'm basing my information off of public comments from the Director of the uscis, the latest memo on IBIS checks and comments from lawyers of other forum members.

:confused:
I have my name check pend in FBI since last Sep. my I-485 RD is July 2002, I asked comgrasman and senator to help, they both tell me it is in FBI pending, I file EAD AP in May, if I get EAD this month, does this mean my name check is redo? so my I-485 can resume, I did not see anyone with name check with EAD, I am not sure EAD/AP need name check, I hope it does, Can anybody answer that?
Thanks !

unitednations said:
Yes, all applications undergo security/name check. This can be seen by the evidence that people who are getting h-1b revalidation have been stuck outside of the country pending security clearance.

Remember Atta, he got his student visa renewed four months after he was dead. Because of this I beleive that all applications undergo name/security check. Their database is getting updated all the time with crimina/terrorist names so therefore it is prudent for them to do a security check as often as they can.
:) thank you for reply!
When I get EAD, I will get senator office, ask help again, and post the status here!

Name/Security Check with I-485

Hi, all
Does anyone know how long a name/security check will be? My wife and I filed our I-485s at the same time and did the FP together too. Recently my I-485 was approved, but my wife's is still pending. Got an email response from TSC after my fax inquiry stating that there is a pending name/security check on my wife's 485. Weird thing is that my wife applied EAD and AP before and both got approved, if there is a name/security check on every application, why this time it takes so long?

Any suggestions?

when does the name check happen? Does it happen when you submit your FP or are they done separately?

Dear Unitednations:
My FP was done and was received by USCIS on June 22 2004. I got an email from FBI today saying the record check was complete in Dec 2002 and was forwarded. Question is:
Do you think for sure the name check is done after recent FP?
Do you think it could be that name check related to recent FP is yet to be processed by FBI so it was not reflected on the computer or is it that the USCIS is yet to send in a request to FBI for another name check prior to approval? If so generally, do you know, how long does it take from the time the USCIS requests FBI to FBI completion of record check? Please advise.

I assume the name check happened just recently and it is different from the FP check (as the officer who responded to my inquiry stated). My understanding is that when they are ready to adjudicate a case. Normally dependant(s) case(s) are approved at the same time with the primary applicant. And I am really concerned that this unfortunately is not the case for us.

Below are the email messages I got from a Texas Service Center officer.

"I received your inquiry regarding your I-485. While your husband's I-485 was approved, yours has a pending security check that must be completed prior to approval. Once it clears, your application can then be completed."

"The pending check is separate from the fingerprint clearance. It is based on the name, and for some reason, some names take longer to clear than others.
I really cannot give you a timeframe, as they all differ..."

Just don't know why this time it takes that long?

hi penpen:
how could you fax your inquiry to the USCIS & get a response?My center is Nebraska.Please advise.

penpen said:
Hi, all
Does anyone know how long a name/security check will be? My wife and I filed our I-485s at the same time and did the FP together too. Recently my I-485 was approved, but my wife's is still pending. Got an email response from TSC after my fax inquiry stating that there is a pending name/security check on my wife's 485. Weird thing is that my wife applied EAD and AP before and both got approved, if there is a name/security check on every application, why this time it takes so long?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Unitednations:
Is there a way to find out if IBIS checks are complete? Anyway, in my case, what do you think is the reason that though my FP was done on june 22 04, FBI has not yet done my name check clearance after the last one in dec 02?
Thank you for your responses. You are a great resource.

unitednations said:
There are two name checks. One is done by the FBI and it is in conjunction with the fingerprint. They do it automatically. Second type of name check is IBIS checks which uscis does. FBi name check is for any outstanding warrants, terrorism related, etc. IBIS checks are specifically immigration related, ie., customs violations, etc.

IBIS checks are performed on each and every immigration application. They only have a 90 day validity period. There have been a few posts where people received response that their name check is pending. I believe, people have incorrectly concluded that it is the FBi which is holding it up, whereas they subsequently found out that FBi cleared it long ago. It is really the IBIS checks that may be holding it up.

to Dev28

After I saw my I-485 got approved and my wife's is still pending, I sent a fax inquiry to TSC and really didn't expect they would respond. Surprisingly, someone there emailed and informed me the reason ("name/security check") why my wife's case is still pending. I guess it depends, they probably only respond to a small fraction of inquiries.

unitednations said:
There are two name checks. One is done by the FBI and it is in conjunction with the fingerprint. They do it automatically. Second type of name check is IBIS checks which uscis does. FBi name check is for any outstanding warrants, terrorism related, etc. IBIS checks are specifically immigration related, ie., customs violations, etc.

IBIS checks are performed on each and every immigration application. They only have a 90 day validity period. There have been a few posts where people received response that their name check is pending. I believe, people have incorrectly concluded that it is the FBi which is holding it up, whereas they subsequently found out that FBi cleared it long ago. It is really the IBIS checks that may be holding it up.
My RD 07/2002, and I have my FBI response back today: "A review of the Name Check Program database revealed that a request from the U.
S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for you was received on January 12, 2003, and is currently in a pending status."
I remember you said the AP/EAD will trgger another name check, I just have my AP approved in July 17, and EAD got rfe on July 19 for need birth certficate, any idea why did not trigger the new name check?

I contacted TSC again and got a response stating the FBI name/security is only required for I-485. EAD or AP does not require a name check. Anyone knows how long the FBI name/security check takes? It seems we still have a long waiting for my wife's I-485....

"The FBI name check is only required on the I-485, not the I-765 or I-131.
Sometimes this name check clears within 2-3 months, other times it may take
6 months or longer.."

penpen said:
I contacted TSC again and got a response stating the FBI name/security is only required for I-485. EAD or AP does not require a name check. Anyone knows how long the FBI name/security check takes? It seems we still have a long waiting for my wife's I-485....

"The FBI name check is only required on the I-485, not the I-765 or I-131.
Sometimes this name check clears within 2-3 months, other times it may take
6 months or longer.."
Thank you to share info with us, look like the name check for me is about 18 month or longer, I came from china, maybe my name is too simple, too many people with same name,

ping Lu said:
Thank you to share info with us, look like the name check for me is about 18 month or longer, I came from china, maybe my name is too simple, too many people with same name,

My hypothesis is that it takes less time to finish the security/name check if you have a uncommon name (as is the case of my name) and takes longer to clear it up if a very common name is involved (like my wife's). Just hope this ordeal could finish soon....

Name Check validity

Dear United Nations

When you have a status update from USCIS saying that your "results have been received and your case processing will resume" what does that mean?

Does it mean that you have cleared FP check and name check or just FP check?

Dear United Nations,

Thank You for your reply
I have 2 questions:

1) That means USCIS can continue processing your case w/o getting the name check cleared?

2) How do you know and when do you know that your name check is still pending?

Thanks