Name check problems + fingerprint expiration

Bbyaka

Registered Users (C)
Here is my problem. In April 2003 I was fingerprinted. In October 2003 I had my interview. Since then (10 months later) I have been waiting to receive an invitation to the oath ceremony. Clearly, something is wrong. I was able to talk to the officer who interviewed me (Philadelphia USCIS office) and she said that they still had not received Name Check results from the FBI. Following advice I found in this forum I faxed requests about Name Check status + FOIPA to the FBI. It was a week ago, so I still haven' t received anything back from them.
The officer also told me that my fingerprints expired in July 2004, and that I will have to do them again. :mad: On my question about whether I can do fingerprints while I wait for the FBI response I was told "NO" - I have to wait. :eek:

So, here is my question. If FBI replies soon the USCIS will make me do fingerprints again. Does it mean that the results will be sent to the FBI again and again I will have to wait forever for them to check on them? Has anybody been in a situation like this? Has anybody in Pennsylvania been successful in expediting FBI Name Check reply?

Bbyaka said:
Here is my problem. In April 2003 I was fingerprinted. In October 2003 I had my interview. Since then (10 months later) I have been waiting to receive an invitation to the oath ceremony. Clearly, something is wrong. I was able to talk to the officer who interviewed me (Philadelphia USCIS office) and she said that they still had not received Name Check results from the FBI. Following advice I found in this forum I faxed requests about Name Check status + FOIPA to the FBI. It was a week ago, so I still haven' t received anything back from them.
The officer also told me that my fingerprints expired in July 2004, and that I will have to do them again. :mad: On my question about whether I can do fingerprints while I wait for the FBI response I was told "NO" - I have to wait. :eek:

So, here is my question. If FBI replies soon the USCIS will make me do fingerprints again. Does it mean that the results will be sent to the FBI again and again I will have to wait forever for them to check on them? Has anybody been in a situation like this? Has anybody in Pennsylvania been successful in expediting FBI Name Check reply?

Philly USCIS D.O sucks. I have been waiting for 2.5 months even though they say my file is complete.

Talking to your officer

Question?

I almost went through the same time line in philly but I couldn`t get to talk to my office..

Any idea how can I do that ?

Thanx

Philadelphian

name check

Bbyaka,

I am also from Pennsylvania and have waited for 12 months after the interview to get my name check cleared. I tried all possible routes to expedite the name check process, viz. contact congressman and have his staff talk to FBI, faxed letters directly to FBI, and FOIPA results. I got back my FOIPA "no record" results in 1 day, followed by name check completed intimation in another 9 days through an email from FBI and also via a phone call from the congressman's office. It is possible that FOIPA is backlogged at this time....so you may have to wait for some time. Once you get FOIPA results you could contact your congressman and have his staff request FBI to expedite the process. As per the FBI email, my name check results were sent to USCIS Philadelphia on August 9th. I followed this up by faxing a letter to the Philadelphia District Director with this information on August 16 and got a response from them in 3 days (letter is dated August 17th) which said that they are still waiting for the name check clearance. On this forum I was told that they take about 10 days to update the information on their central computer.......so may be this information was not available to them when the District Director responded to my faxed letter.

You may have to be fingerprinted again because the fingerprints are valid for 15 months only. What I don't understand is that the fingerprints are not going the change......so why can't they run the digitized fingerprints against the amended database(s). I may have to do the same because I was fingerprinted in January 2003. The good news is that the FP results are generally returned within 48 hours.

I hope this helps!

USCIS Philadelphia

Philadelphian,

You will have to personally go to the 1600 Callowhill St to do that. The office opens around 7 AM, so go in early and be prepared to wait for 2-3 hours before you can talk to the Officer directly.

Phillydude,

I am assuming that all known formalities are completed and you are waiting for the oath letter, right? Have you involved your congressman? This will help since November is fast approaching.

redkarr1 said:
Phillydude,

I am assuming that all known formalities are completed and you are waiting for the oath letter, right? Have you involved your congressman? This will help since November is fast approaching.

Yes, I tried my congressman's office, don't seem to interested in helping as he will be retiring from public life and taking up a position in D C area. His staff had once inquired and I was told to wait. They are not keen on inquiring again. I believe my delay is because of name change which are done only at district court and the court in Philly is under renovation and has limited capacity.

redkarr1

You are wrong. To talk to the officer one does not have to come to Philadelphia (I live 1.5 hours away, so it is a big deal for me). Please email me at byaka@yahoo.com - I don't want to be more specific in the forum... :cool:

redkarr1

My name check was also cleared on august 9th 2004. and still to recieve interview letter. i guess their system is not so sophisticated. Take ur credit card...spend 50$ and in no time that charge will post on ur card. so if name check gets done and sent back to uscis, it takes weeks to appear those results in their computer. N 400 fee almost 400 bucks now, and that money from congress. and still lousy system.

Shaky,

I do understand your feelings about the delay because I am also in the same boat. But look at the bright side........we have passed one major hurdle and are now very close to the finishing line.

Byaka,

Visiting the USCIS office personally is definitely one way to talk to the Immigration Officer.........I have done that personally out of desperation although I live 2 hours away from Philadelphia. If you know a better way to talk to an Immigration Officer, please share it with us so that others can use it, if necessary. And don't worry about being very specific.......just check out posts of some members, especially Rahul Kumar's .......they do share their wisdom without any hesitation.

There is a phone number to the Philadelphia DO, that they do not advertise for obvious reasons. This is the number that is usually used by lawyers, congressmen, etc. Call 215-656-7176 and ask for your officer. In worst case you will get his/her voice mail. If you are lucky he/she will pick up the phone. Good luck.

Bbyaka,

Thanks for sharing the telephone number. I have contacted the District Director few times using fax (215-656-7191).........he generally responds within few days by mail.

Bbyaka said:

Bbyaka,
Any response from the FBI on name check status? My husband is in a very similar position as you are with regard to FP/Name check.... although we've been waiting 12 months since the interview for name to clear. sent our FBI
request on the 23rd also.

jamnj said:
Bbyaka,
Any response from the FBI on name check status? My husband is in a very similar position as you are with regard to FP/Name check.... although we've been waiting 12 months since the interview for name to clear. sent our FBI
request on the 23rd also.

Jammy my friend from NJ. Be patient. Allow the process to run its course.

------------------------
Spirit of USA Personal Responsibility, Opportunity, Equality.

If rahul's posts are like any other advice he gives, it is best to ignore it. He is foreigner from India with absolutely no first-hand knowledge of the naturalization process. Things he writes are hearsay, gossip and fiction.

------------------------
Spirit of USA Personal Responsibility, Opportunity, Equality.