• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Name check Pending for Huband not Wife

Banner

Registered Users (C)
My case is under administrative processing but my wife's name is cleard (she is the main applicant). According to embassy they are ready to issue visa to my wife if she wants but my visa will be issued only after the name check has been completed.

The question is :

1) Should we take my wife's visa at this moment and wait till my clearance is done, or
2) Should we wait till my clearance is done and then take both visas togather?

Sorry Banner I dont actually have an answer to your question, I am just wondering what were the circumstances that put you under administrative proccessing?

Sorry Banner I dont actually have an answer to your question, I am just wondering what were the circumstances that put you under administrative proccessing?

like they ever tell you.... C'mon.

As for the wife - if she would consider immigrating without you (just in case your admin check doesn't end by Sep 30 and you don't get a visa), then she should get the visa.

My case is under administrative processing but my wife's name is cleard (she is the main applicant). According to embassy they are ready to issue visa to my wife if she wants but my visa will be issued only after the name check has been completed.

The question is :

1) Should we take my wife's visa at this moment and wait till my clearance is done, or

Absolutely, she needs to go get her Visa asap.Assuming the emabssy never gets done with your AP, in 5 yrs, ur wife will become a US citizen and u'll be here within a few months.

The question is :

Have your wife take visa ASAP.
Hopefully your name check will be over by end September the latest so that you can claim your visa number.
If not, then she can sponsor you later as LPR.

Visa Numbers

Thanks for reply

What led to my Adm processing is a very common name.

When we contacted embassy by phone the visa officer said that she will request for two visa numbers for us. What I request to know that when a person's case has been sent for Adm Processing do they keep a visa number reserved for that person or not?

I was thinking of getting my wife's visa by the end of May. This will allow her to travel to USA latest by the end of November. If my visa is issued even at the end of September, I can join her to USA. What you guys think about that?

Thanks for reply

What led to my Adm processing is a very common name.

When we contacted embassy by phone the visa officer said that she will request for two visa numbers for us. What I request to know that when a person's case has been sent for Adm Processing do they keep a visa number reserved for that person or not?

I was thinking of getting my wife's visa by the end of May. This will allow her to travel to USA latest by the end of November. If my visa is issued even at the end of September, I can join her to USA. What you guys think about that?

Mainly, it depends on the deadline for your wife's clearance validity time. You may ask the embassy about that critical time. Then you both would be able to decide whether to collect her visa before your clearance appearing on their website or not.

Thanks Vic2008

Whoul you please elaborate what you mean by "Clearance validity Time" and "Critical time".

Which website you are talking about? Is there any website where one can check update about clearance?

Thanks Vic2008

Whoul you please elaborate what you mean by "Clearance validity Time" and "Critical time".

Which website you are talking about? Is there any website where one can check update about clearance?

Each security clearance has a validity period. for example if a case has been cleared on first of April, it will expire on, for example, 1st of June. Therefore the applicant has two months space to achieve his/her visa and after that he/she must be re-cleared and definitely it takes time and will be RISKY. is it clear?

I'm talking about Embassy's website. It has section for ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESS STATUS you can find her case no. and its expiration date in it. Or you can call the Embassy and ask about that date.

My Advise to You Both: you had better to wait until 1-2 week before her clearance expiration date and after that go to the Embassy and collect her visa. she would have 6 month time to travel to U.S. and it is very likely to clear up yours during the remaining time.

i don't know why this guy is still have 2nd thoughts about this. She needs to go pick up her visa ASAP.

i don't know why this guy is still have 2nd thoughts about this. She needs to go pick up her visa ASAP.

Yeah, I completely agree.

Thanks for reply

Banner - exactly as you say, you will either get your visa by Sept 30, or not get one at all. So you don't gain anything by delaying your wife's visa. Pick it up ASAP, and then deal with the rest.

That being said, if your wife gets the DV visa and you don't, it will likely be several years before you can join her in the US. You and your wife will have to decide if you want to live apart for that long. Green cards are not everything - family is more important. :)

Thank you to all of you for your good advice.

I will contact the embassy and ask them to issue visa for my wife.

I know I have been asking too many questions but I will be thankful if someone can provide answer to following question:

Is it possible for my wife to go to USA get her re-entry stamped and come back to stay with me. I lodge petition for my Green Card on the basis of family in my home country and we both wait here (for some years I believe) till my Green card is approved. My wife can keep going to USA for short intervals.

I have full confidence that I will get my DV Visa and that name check will be complete soon but I want to act on "hope for the best but prepare for the worst"

That's a good idea.
This is the alternate way for you to get permanent residence as she can sponsor you for family unification.
However, be mindful that if she will be absent from US for more than 6-12 months she might be required to get reentry permit otherwise she might risk losing her greencard as USCIS might treat it like she abandoned her residency.
In reality going back and forth is not as easy as it might sound. Long absences from US might prolong her eligibility for US citizenship as well.
Hopefully, your name will be cleared before end of September so that you can get GC "easy way" thru DV.

Is it possible for my wife to go to USA get her re-entry stamped and come back to stay with me. I lodge petition for my Green Card on the basis of family in my home country and we both wait here (for some years I believe) till my Green card is approved. My wife can keep going to USA for short intervals.

This will be difficult to pull off for 5+ years (these days the wait for spouses of PRs is about 5 years + processing time). Your wife will risk losing her green card. She can visit you for a few months each year. But if she lives with you and goes to the USA only for short intervals, there's a good chance she'll lose her green card.

Another approach you should consider is for your wife to settle in Seattle and you in Vancouver. Becoming a Canadian landed immigrant (PR) may be easy if you have the points, which you can accumulate via education + work experience + English. Citizenship and Immigration Canada has a test you can use to compute your points. Also check the Canadian processing times for your region - some seem really high so it may be not worth it.

US PRs can enter Canada without a visa and Canadian PRs can enter the US without a visa (the dark red part is no longer true). It takes about 3 hours to drive from Seattle to Vancouver, so you can visit each other on the weekends, etc.

You'll need to make sure you follow the rules and maintain your permanent residences in the US and Canada. You can do this at other points along the border too - I'm giving Seattle / Vancouver as an example because these are big cities with lots of jobs.

I have full confidence that I will get my DV Visa and that name check will be complete soon but I want to act on "hope for the best but prepare for the worst"

Definitely. After your wife gets her visa, you could try to follow-up with the embassy in July / August / Sept and ask them to try to expedite your background check.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll need to make sure you follow the rules and maintain your permanent residences in the US and Canada. You can do this at other points along the border too - I'm giving Seattle / Vancouver as an example because these are big cities with lots of jobs.

You can also do this with Puerto Rico and one of the neighboring islands (if you can immigrate to one of them). And then commute by boat on weekends. :) :) :)

This will be difficult to pull off for 5+ years (these days the wait for spouses of PRs is about 5 years + processing time). Your wife will risk losing her green card. She can visit you for a few months each year. But if she lives with you and goes to the USA only for short intervals, there's a good chance she'll lose her green card.

Another approach you should consider is for your wife to settle in Seattle and you in Vancouver. Becoming a Canadian landed immigrant (PR) may be easy if you have the points, which you can accumulate via education + work experience + English. Citizenship and Immigration Canada has a test you can use to compute your points. Also check the Canadian processing times for your region - some seem really high so it may be not worth it.

US PRs can enter Canada without a visa and Canadian PRs can enter the US without a visa. It takes about 3 hours to drive from Seattle to Vancouver, so you can visit each other on the weekends, etc.

Definitely. After your wife gets her visa, you could try to follow-up with the embassy in July / August / Sept and ask them to try to expedite your background check.

US LPRs can visit Canada without visa, but most canadian PRs not except for below:
SEE: Permanent residents (aka landed immigrants) of Canada must have a nonimmigrant visa unless the permanent resident is a national of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), meets the VWP requirements, and is seeking to enter the U.S. for 90 days or less under that program.
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1260.html

US LPRs can visit Canada without visa, but most canadian PRs not except for below:
SEE: Permanent residents (aka landed immigrants) of Canada must have a nonimmigrant visa unless the permanent resident is a national of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), meets the VWP requirements, and is seeking to enter the U.S. for 90 days or less under that program.
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1260.html

Ups, they changed it in 2003. I didn't stay up to date.

Anyway, the wife can visit the husband in Canada...

Ups, they changed it in 2003. I didn't stay up to date.

Anyway, the wife can visit the husband in Canada...

I did not realize it until I went to see a friend of mine to niagara falls canada and we were crossing back to US and he was stopped and returned back to Canada.
I guess Canadians did not press too much as all they care is their citizens.