Name Change question in San Jose, CA area

Imy

Registered Users (C)
My wife is planning to change her last name to my last name as we never did when we got married 5 years ago. I want to do that when she applies for the Citizenship here in San Jose, CA.

I have read San Jose does not do name changes anymore. My question is what happens if I fill the N400 application and ask for a name change?

Will they reject my application?
Return the application and ask to do name change first and apply?
Send the application to an office where they do the name change? If yes then anyone knows which office close to San Jose does name change?

I am struggling what to do on this for last month and need to file my wife's application very soon.

Thanks for your input.

My wife is planning to change her last name to my last name as we never did when we got married 5 years ago. I want to do that when she applies for the Citizenship here in San Jose, CA.

I have read San Jose does not do name changes anymore. My question is what happens if I fill the N400 application and ask for a name change?

Send the application to an office where they do the name change? If yes then anyone knows which office close to San Jose does name change?

I am struggling what to do on this for last month and need to file my wife's application very soon.

Thanks for your input.

She can still request a name change as part of naturalization process. If the San Jose DO no longer has authority to do name changes as part of administrative oath, then a judicial oath will be scheduled for her instead. Don't worry, they can't deny or refuse her application on the basis of them no longer having authority to do name changes.

Thanks for your input.

After reading several posts on this board, it looks like San Jose district does not offer name change during naturalization process. Your wife will have to do it after she becomes a U.S Citizen through court. That involves some processing fees.

The San Jose DO administrative oaths may not offer name change, but an applicant can still request for a judicial oath to take place instead.Don't take no as an answer from IO..request to speak with supervisor as they are supposed to schedule judicial oath for you instead.

The San Jose DO administrative oaths may not offer name change, but an applicant can still request for a judicial oath to take place instead.Don't take no as an answer from IO..request to speak with supervisor as they are supposed to schedule judicial oath for you instead.

Bob,

I completely agree with your response but most of the applicants want to get the hell out of that office once they get approved. Convincing an IO for a judicial Oath when he is saying NO and a request to speak to a supervisor might be considered rubbing the officer the wrong way which is the last thing you want to do as an applicant. Just a thought :)

Convincing an IO for a judicial Oath when he is saying NO and a request to speak to a supervisor might be considered rubbing the officer the wrong way which is the last thing you want to do as an applicant. Just a thought :)

Understandingly so, as some applicants may feel they are at the mercy of an IO. But it is the applicants right to question (in an appropriate and professional way) something that should be part of the process to begin with. If no one questions it, nothing gets done about it..something that happens way to often these days.

Does SF district office do Name Change at Interview ?

Thanks for your input.

I requested for name change on my N-400 application. Do you know if SF DISTRICT Office does name change at the time of Naturalization Interview. Will it be adminstrative or judicial. I appreciate if you shed some light on this or provide a link that could give more info. Thanks.

Thanks for the inputs.

So you think I should still ask for the name change in my application even though they do not offer in SJ? Do you know if this will delay the interview date? I am OK if they delay the oath a little so they can schedule it with a judge or they say no it is not possible during the interiew but I do not want my application acceptance and then the Interview to be delayed because of it.
If someone knows that is should not impact the interview time please chime in .
I would like to have the name change during the citizenship process even if it delays the oath schedule a little bit (a month or so)

Thanks for the inputs.

So you think I should still ask for the name change in my application even though they do not offer in SJ? Do you know if this will delay the interview date? I am OK if they delay the oath a little so they can schedule it with a judge or they say no it is not possible during the interiew but I do not want my application acceptance and then the Interview to be delayed because of it.
I would like to have the name change during the citizenship process even if it delays the oath schedule a little bit (a month or so)

Imy,

You can still check the “name change option” and if the officer says “NO” then you can always do it after she becomes a U.S Citizen. It won’t delay the interview date, it usually delays the Oath date because they have to make special arrangments since Name Change Oaths only take place at the downtown Federal Court (IF it happens). Hope that helps.

We opted the name change option for my spouse during filing of N-400 (San Jose) and have got the fingerprinting and interview dates so far for both of us together (and in reasonable time) . So I am not sure if name change delays interview. Will see what happens after interview.

Thanks for the inputs.