Name change in the passport

kcb2

Registered Users (C)
Hello Immigration experts,

What is the procedure for the name change in the passport after marriage. My wife is still in india and did not go for h4 yet.

Is there a procdure to do it from USA ?

Regards,
Sidd

1.She will need to apply for a new passport.
2. Its good that she hasnt applied for H4 yet. After she gets her new passport she will be issued a H4 visa with the same name as in her new passport. The procedure is same, just apply for a new H4 visa.

Yes its possible to do it from US but I dont know of anyone who has done it from US.

In my case we stuck to her maiden name as its too much of a hassle to apply for passport then a visa.

without applying for new passport ?

Hi kart2004

my wife already got the passport. is it possible to get change the name in the passport without getting the new passport.

please suggest.

regards,
Sidd

i didnt care much for her name change and i gave a copy of my file to her along with my marriage certificate and H1 approval. it took consulate 3 days to give her back the passport with the visa in it. (of course the consulate was in EU and she is an EU national so your home country consulate may take longer to process the application for security reasons)

Hi kart2004

my wife already got the passport. is it possible to get change the name in the passport without getting the new passport.
--------------------Itis better to change her Last name in the passport.She needs to fill up the application, copy of marriage certificate and go to passport office. if from India talk to any agent sitting near passport office and can get new Copy of passport with married name in 1-2 days
please suggest.

regards,
Sidd

----------------

Hi kart2004

please suggest.

regards,
Sidd

No, you have to apply for the new passport.

As far as my views go, its not worth the effort and risk (read BIG risk) of restamping for a name change. She might as well retain her maiden name - its really a very trivial thing.