Name change after Naturalization

Lolitochka

Registered Users (C)
Hello guys,
I have a question on name change.
I recently became a U.S. Citizen (yes!!!), and I am thinking about changing my name. Our local DO does not provide name change during naturalization, that's why I could not do it during that process. So, I need to change my name through local court.
So, my questions are:

1. Do I need to change my name on my Naturalization certificate once I get name change order from the judge?
2. If the answer is no, would that be a problem while traveling that my name on my passport would be different (new name) than on my Naturalization certificate (old name)?
3. Would I need to carry the court papers with name change with me all the time while traveling or going through customs?
4. Has anyone experienced name change after Naturalization and traveled abroad?

Than you in advance for all your help

Don't have the personal experience, but in theory, as long as you have a passport with your new name on it, that should be all. You won't need your NC or court order when traveling, since your passport ties the two names together and is as good as your NC in proving your citizenship. You can certainly request a replacement NC with your new name on it, but it costs money and time, and personally I don't think it's worth it.

Think of name change as a supplement to naturalization certificate. Whenever you need to use certificate, include the name change document as a supplement. No need to obtain a new certificate unless you want to dish out the extra money.

Thank you guys,

My concern is that while entering the U.S. from traveling, and they put your name in the system (the new name in the passport), it would not show anything since the Immigration would have the old name... how does it work?

You're a US citizen now. Why would they still check your immigration status? A valid US passport is all you need to verify your identity. The name-connecting part has been done when Dept. of State issues you the passport.

You will need to change your passport to travel again after the name change. But there is no need to change the natz. certificate.

Thank you, Jack,
so,
1. at the customs they dont check your immigration status anymore, and they just scan your passport?
2. I mean, after the name change procedure, do you need to carry around your naturalization certificate with your old name, and court order for name change?
3. If one is not required to change name on their naturalization certificate, what is the purpose of N-595?
4. How would be the process for petitioning for parents with name change? I mean, with naturalization certificate with an old name, could that create any problems? Would USCIS say that I should have changed my name on my certificate?
5. Is there a link to the info that it is not required to update your nat. certificate with a new name?

thank you so much again,
I know I am asking too many questions, but you can never be too safe
You will need to change your passport to travel again after the name change. But there is no need to change the natz. certificate.

At the port of entry, your passport is proof of your status -- as a citizen.

Natz certificate combined with name change order will be your proof of citizenship. Or your US passport, if it has your new name.

It's N-565, not N-595. It is primarily to replace the certificate if it's lost or damaged or has a mistake. Optionally it may be used to get a natz. certificate with your new name on it, for those who don't want the hassle of having to combine it with the name change order. But most people don't bother with that; they only change their name on the passport.

You don't need the natz. certificate to sponsor your parents if you have a US passport.

You usually won't find links for things you DON'T need to do. I am not legally required to buy red shoes, do you have a link for that?

Get a passport with your new name, and stop worrying about the naturalization certificate so much.