Name Change AFTER Naturalization - Now applying for Passport

marissa07

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

After I became a US citizen last month, I filed a petition for a name change at my county superior court and my name change has been finalized (I didn't change my name through naturalization because my interview officer told me I would be waiting a very long time for a judicial oath ceremony and suggested I took care of it at a courthouse afterwards).

So, basically on my certificate of naturalization, my old name is printed, and on my court order, my new name is printed. BTW, I just got a new driver's license with my new name on.

I am now applying for a US passport and of course, I would like my new name to be printed on it.

My question is -- Do I send a "original court order" along with my certificate of naturalization?
Will I need to write a cover letter or something to explain my name change?

Thanks in advance for your help!

My question is -- Do I send a "original court order" along with my certificate of naturalization?
Will I need to write a cover letter or something to explain my name change?

You must apply for a passport in person at a post office or passport agency. Bring the original court order. for the name change. No cover letter necessary, they will review your documents and take notice of the name change.

Thanks Jackolantern!

So, you mean, a clerk at a post office will review my court order for name change, and make a note of this name change on an application or something for me?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi marissa,
You will need to
Fill out Form DS-11, The Application For A U.S. Passport
Submit Completed Form DS-11 In Person at Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency.
Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
Present Identification like Valid Driver's License
Provide Two Passport Photos
Pay the Applicable Fee

ALL THE BEST

Thanks Nancy for the reply.

Anybody that changed his/her name AFTER naturalization at the court and and applied for a passport?
Since names on certificate of naturalization and court order don't match, does a post office clerk make a photocopy of your court order and send it along with the rest of application / documents?

Thanks all again.

They will either make a photocopy of your name change document or you'll be required to submit it along with your naturalization certificate. You can find out by going to the passport office nearest you.