N470 and days outside the country

blkhawk

Registered Users (C)
hi all,

I have an approved N-470. I am currently in the process of applying for citizenship. Having an approved N-470 means all days spent outside the USA are counted as if I was living in the US. that is both for my physical presence and continuous residence.

As we all know, the N-400 has a section that deals with days spent outside the USA, number of trips..etc.

I am wondering whether I should include the days spent outside the USA even though I am covered by the N-470..

Your advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

hi all,

I have an approved N-470. I am currently in the process of applying for citizenship. Having an approved N-470 means all days spent outside the USA are counted as if I was living in the US. that is both for my physical presence and continuous residence.
If you're not working for the US government or military, the N-470 makes the days outside the US only count towards continuous residence, not physical presence.
I am wondering whether I should include the days spent outside the USA even though I am covered by the N-470..
You need to list each trip and the number of days outside the US for the trip. Then show them the N-470 and ask for the days to be added back for the trips taken while you held an approved N-470 and were working overseas for the specified employer (i.e. vacation trips and other work doesn't get added back as days inside the US).

If you're not working for the US government or military, the N-470 makes the days outside the US only count towards continuous residence, not physical presence.

You need to list each trip and the number of days outside the US for the trip. Then show them the N-470 and ask for the days to be added back for the trips taken while you held an approved N-470 and were working overseas for the specified employer (i.e. vacation trips and other work doesn't get added back as days inside the US).

I work for a US employer in Australia. My assignment is temporary (2 years). My N-470 does state that the days outside the US do count towards both physical presence AND continuous residence. could this have been a mistake by the field office?

So you're saying vacations trips do not count. is that for both physical presence AND continuous residence?

Days spent outside US (including vacations) count against your continuous residence and physical presence requirement.
However, the N-470 only preserves your continuous residency requirement. You'll still have to meet physical presence requirement during the statutory period.

Days spent outside US (including vacations) count against your continuous residence and physical presence requirement.
However, the N-470 only preserves your continuous residency requirement. You'll still have to meet physical presence requirement during the statutory period.

so you're saying, vacation days spent overseas (before I started my overseas assignment) count against physical presence? that'd be great!

Any idea how USCIS converts days to months? The guide to Naturalization states that I have to have 30 months of physical presence to become eligible to apply. So far I have a total of 1082 days of physical presence in the US.

thanks.

Guys, any idea if I would have to move back to Reno Nevada in order to satisfy the 3-month residency requirement for N400?

I lived in Reno for years until I moved to Australia. I have been keeping my stays overseas less than 6 months. My official US address has been the same. I use it for my bank accounts, credit cards, driver's license, taxes, ..etc. I have had this same address since I took the assignment overseas. It's a friend's home address whom I stayed with after I had sold my house right before I moved to Australia.

Thanks again!

so you're saying, vacation days spent overseas (before I started my overseas assignment) count against physical presence? that'd be great!
They count against, not towards physical presence requirement.How would that be great?
Any idea how USCIS converts days to months? The guide to Naturalization states that I have to have 30 months of physical presence to become eligible to apply. So far I have a total of 1082 days of physical presence in the US.

thanks.

30 months implies half of 5 years, which works out to 913 days.

They count against, not towards physical presence requirement.How would that be great?

30 months implies half of 5 years, which works out to 913 days.

Sorry, I misread your statement. I should read slowly next time :) .. I guess it's not great :) ..