N400 paper work required

Andre Fierro

Good morning,

I am currently in the process of submitting my application for citinzship, I am a green card holder but lost my physical card abroad last time I traveled in 2017. I had to apply for a foil to enter the U.S again which worked out fine however now I want to just apply for citinzship once and for all. My question is: Would a colored copy of my resident card be suffice when submitting my N400 or will I need the physical card?. I was reading the instructions and it's not too clear and as far as i come to understand a copy is ok.

PS : I only have the front copy in color.

Thanks guys!

I believe you were obliged to apply for a replacement one when you lost the original. I don’t think they’ll even do the bio for N400 without a physical GC.

I also seem to recall being asked to submit both the front and back sides copy with the form, though it was a while ago now and I may not be recalling exactly.

Last edited:
Did you apply for a replacement PR card after you entered the US?

The n400 instructions say the "Required Evidence" is a photocopy of the front and back of the card. The actual, physical card may be required at the biometrics and/or during the interview oe oath.

I have not applied for Gc after entering the Us with passport foil. I thought I can go straight for citizenship. I guess if no option I will have no choice but to file for replacement GC

Only thing needed for Biometrics is A Drivers License and your appointment letter. At the day of the interview as well you show your Driver's license to enter the building along with your Appointment letter.

I still have my GC as I forgot to walk with it the day of my interview/oath ceremony. Where I live they do same day swearing in.
I remember going up for my Citizenship certificate to look at it and make sure it was good at the window. I told the guy I forgot my GC at home he said it's ok. He chuckled and said don't worry you don't need it anymore.

I've had biometrics 3 times total. Once for renewing my GC. Twice for citizenship application.
AlWays just used my Driver's License.
You just need Government ID from the US.
I live in NJ. Don't know if it's different for other states. I doubt it though.

If you have copies like you said you should be OK.
Your fingerprints will match. As in you are who you say you are!! GL

I believe you were obliged to apply for a replacement one when you lost the original. I don’t think they’ll even do the bio for N400 without a physical GC.

I also seem to recall being asked to submit both the front and back sides copy with the form, though it was a while ago now and I may not be recalling exactly.
Yes they will. He just needs a Driver's License.

Did you apply for a replacement PR card after you entered the US?

The n400 instructions say the "Required Evidence" is a photocopy of the front and back of the card. The actual, physical card may be required at the biometrics and/or during the interview oe oath.
They don't even ask for a GC at the interview. They put your finger on a scanner. I'd assume to verify you are who you say you are.

Hey jbuff that a relief to know. Im from New York so I don't think process would be that different. Now If I can only find the back copy of the GC was only able retrieve the front...so far

Only thing needed for Biometrics is A Drivers License and your appointment letter.

I had to show my GC for n400 bio. It was specifically mentioned on the notice, and the guy at the ASC checked I had it before he let me in. Ymmv.

From my interview notice:

Naturalization applicants must bring their Alien Resident Card. All other applicants must bring a passport, driver’s license, national ID, military ID, or State-issued photo ID. If you appear without proper identification, you will not be fingerprinted.

——
Of course, OP can try get away without it. His choice to find out after he’s paid the fee & appears for the bio.

Only thing needed for Biometrics is A Drivers License and your appointment letter. At the day of the interview as well you show your Driver's license to enter the building along with your Appointment letter.

I still have my GC as I forgot to walk with it the day of my interview/oath ceremony. Where I live they do same day swearing in.
I remember going up for my Citizenship certificate to look at it and make sure it was good at the window. I told the guy I forgot my GC at home he said it's ok. He chuckled and said don't worry you don't worry you don’t need it anymore.

If you have copies like you said you should be OK.
Your fingerprints will match. As in you are who you say you are!! GL

I believe your experience was an exception to the norm, so I will be careful with telling someone they will be okay with a lost GC like that is the general practice. The GC is supposed to be submitted prior to oath swearing.

My son was fortunate to have a same day interview/oath swearing ceremony on a Friday morning - his GC was requested upfront. His same day oath ceremony wouldn’t have happened if he didn’t have his GC on him. I showed up for my interview the following Monday, wasn’t scheduled for a same day interview (same FO by the way), got the monthly oath date. Everyone at the monthly oath ceremony needed to surrender their GC before they being allowed into the hall for the swearing in ceremony.

From my interview notice:

Naturalization applicants must bring their Alien Resident Card. All other applicants must bring a passport, driver’s license, national ID, military ID, or State-issued photo ID. If you appear without proper identification, you will not be fingerprinted.

——
Of course, OP can try get away without it. His choice to find out after he’s paid the fee & appears for the bio.

Too late to edit the above - it was from my bio appointment notice, not my interview notice.

Like my bio notice, my interview notice does also specifically use the word “must” re bringing the green card to interview:

You MUST BRING the following with you to the interview:
• This letter.
Your Alien Registration Card ("green card").
• Any evidence of Selective Service Registration.
• Your passport and/or any other documents you used in connection with any entries into the United States.
• Those items noted below which are applicable to you:

I believe your experience was an exception to the norm, so I will be careful with telling someone they will be okay with a lost GC like that is the general practice. The GC is supposed to be submitted prior to oath swearing.

My son was fortunate to have a same day interview/oath swearing ceremony on a Friday morning - his GC was requested upfront. His same day oath ceremony wouldn’t have happened if he didn’t have his GC on him. I showed up for my interview the following Monday, wasn’t scheduled for a same day interview (same FO by the way), got the monthly oath date. Everyone at the monthly oath ceremony needed to surrender their GC before they being allowed into the hall for the swearing in ceremony.
I highly doubt any federal employee would risk their job for me a stranger. Yes you're suppose to have it but in the instance where you don't. They're provisions for that. A quick internet search and you would find tons of information about GC holders being naturalized without having the physical GC. Some had to get a police report some signed sworn affidavits stating they don't know the location of GC. In OP'S situation it's no different. The GC is lost. He is lucky to have a Colored Copy of said GC.

Everyone's experience is different, but like I said I don't see several federal government employees.

The security Guards downstairs. The one on the respective floor I had to go. Floor 14 only to be told I had to go the the 15th floor as that's where my file was. To the Interviewing officer and the officer at the window that gave me a rough copy of my citizenship certificate to make sure Evrything was spelt correctly risking their jobs to do me a stranger such a favor.
I've had several Biometrics appointments only ever had my Driver's license. Or maybe in the State of NJ they don't care. Lol doubt that though.

I highly doubt any federal employee would risk their job for me a stranger. Yes you're suppose to have it but in the instance where you don't. They're provisions for that. A quick internet search and you would find tons of information about GC holders being naturalized without having the physical GC. Some had to get a police report some signed sworn affidavits stating they don't know the location of GC. In OP'S situation it's no different. The GC is lost. He is lucky to have a Colored Copy of said GC.

Everyone's experience is different, but like I said I don't see several federal government employees.

The security Guards downstairs. The one on the respective floor I had to go. Floor 14 only to be told I had to go the the 15th floor as that's where my file was. To the Interviewing officer and the officer at the window that gave me a rough copy of my citizenship certificate to make sure Evrything was spelt correctly risking their jobs to do me a stranger such a favor.
I've had several Biometrics appointments only ever had my Driver's license. Or maybe in the State of NJ they don't care. Lol doubt that though.

I stand by what I previously wrote as yours being an exception to the norm since the expectation is for the GC to be presented, and I would be careful with categorically saying someone in OP’s situation will be alright based on that. Your conclusion as to whether someone risked their job for you or not, your words not mine.

I would just remind OP that the fee for n400 (form + bio) totals $725, and he is not going to find out whether or not he’s allowed in weeks after he’s paid that. He can choose to accept jbuff’s personal anecdotal experience as reassurance, or he can confirm that the extracts I quoted above are verbatim from official documents, and he can choose what to risk. Up to him.

I would just remind OP that the fee for n400 (form + bio) totals $725, and he is not going to find out whether or not he’s allowed in weeks after he’s paid that. He can choose to accept jbuff’s personal anecdotal experience as reassurance, or he can confirm that the extracts I quoted above are verbatim from official documents, and he can choose what to risk. Up to him.
He doesn't have to accept any reassurancees from me. There's tons of evidence proving that one can file for n400 with a lost or stolen GC. At this point the only thing you guys are doing is scaring the OP into thinking he/she has to pay to file for a replacement GC.

OP my best advice would be for you to seek the advice from a professional. "Lawyer" or use what's at your disposal the "internet"
GL
No one is arguing that you don't need to walk with a GC for the process but that's not the case OP isn't trying to deliberately not walk with it. It's lost.

He doesn't have to accept any reassurancees from me. There's tons of evidence proving that one can file for n400 with a lost or stolen GC. At this point the only thing you guys are doing is scaring the OP into thinking he/she has to pay to file for a replacement GC.

OP my best advice would be for you to seek the advice from a professional. "Lawyer" or use what's at your disposal the "internet"
GL
No one is arguing that you don't need to walk with a GC for the process but that's not the case OP isn't trying to deliberately not walk with it. It's lost.

You love debates, boy. You say there is tons of “evidence” but he should get a lawyer. Lol. Cheaper than a new GC? Maybe. Lol. Rather than telling him go look on the internet or find a lawyer, why don’t you give him proper reassurance by pointing him to the relevant part of the uscis manual explaining what he has to do with no GC? Give him something official rather than “I got away with it so you can too”. I gave him the official line I got, please feel free to point out the official mitigating factors so he can judge properly.

OP https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Page 10 of Instructions for n400 Under Required evidence. states if you lost your GC you have to send in a copy of any other entry document "passport" OR a receipt of an application for a Replacement GC.

Explains why I hadn't gotten any trouble. As I sent in pictures of my GC but just didn't have the physical card on me the day of the interview.
Hope that helps.

OP https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Page 10 of Instructions for n400 Under Required evidence. states if you lost your GC you have to send in a copy of any other entry document "passport" OR a receipt of an application for a Replacement GC.

Explains why I hadn't gotten any trouble. As I sent in pictures of my GC but just didn't have the physical card on me the day of the interview.
Hope that helps.

Thank you for clarifying that your original suggestion to just take a driver license ;
Yes they will. He just needs a Driver's License.
was wrong.

Your example above is just for filing, however . Further in the instructions (p11) is the list of what to bring to interview. Item 1 is green card. It lists no alternatives to that.

Last edited:
Guys no need bash jbuff as he was just trying to be helpful in a very similar or almost identical situation to mine. There are alot things written in "manuals" "instructions" which are almost never followed to a T and you as an individual are the only one screwed out of money/ time etc...It makes no sense for me to pay another $700 or however much it is to replace a GC that is going to be disposed shortly after. It's 2019 your telling me there isn't a better way verify who you are ? It not like I'm lying or doing something incorrect. I am a legal resident for over 30 years in this country and your going to tell me there is no way verify that?.