N400 Interview Experience: Baltimore, MD

Al Southner

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I had my naturalization interview today in Baltimore, MD. First of all, there were lot of people who were attending one of the largest oath ceremonies there today, so entering the Federal Plaza was a task, and it was my first time in their office. The interview itself was nothing special, arrived there for about 10:55am, for 11am appointment. I dropped my interview letter in the receptionist window, and was called in around 11:25am, and greeted by a nice young woman who was friendly from the get-go :cool:. Upon arriving in her office, she offered me a chair and told me before I sit, she will do the swearing-in, which we proceeded to do. She asked for my passport, GC and DL which I produced and placed on her desk. She asked me to sign the pictures, while she looked at the passport, DL and GC. She went through the N400 application, Part 1 through 10, in which we waited to discuss my traffic ticket, I didn't declare the ticket because it was speeding, but I told her about it in person. She proceeded to produce a print-out of my speeding ticket, told me if I had proof that I paid the ticket, she will look at it, while I was looking for it in my bag, she logged into her system, saw that it was closed (paid), and said fantastic and we continued from Part 10 onwards, asked me to sign Part 13. She also asked me for my tax returns, and I gave her the tax transcript from IRS and she looked at them for filing year, 20007,2008 and 2009, plus it was married filing jointly. She gave them back to me and told she is satisfied and we proceeded to go into the civics test.

1. Who is the founder of the "Father of our Country"? G. Washington.
2. Number of voting US Representatives? 435
3. How long we elect a US Representative? 2
4. Who is the current Chief Justice of the SCOTUS? John G. Roberts, Jr.
5. In what month do we vote for President? November
6. Name one war fought by the US in the 1900s? World War I, II, Korean War, Vietnam War

Asked me to write this sentence: G. Washington was the first president.
Read: G. Washington lived in the White House.

Congratulations, you have passed all civics test and you are recommend for naturalization. Given that your 3 years anniversary is this upcoming Sunday, I won't approved your N400 till next Monday, Nov 1st, 2010 plus a customary supervisory review, but your applications is solid and I expect it to be approved by my supervisor as well. This is where I made a plea for expedient oath on the basis of pending job offer with a federal contractor, which requires US citizenship. She called her supervisor, and unfortunately in Baltimore, MD next week, all of next week is a big auditing of files and no oath ceremonies are scheduled. So, if you are scheduled for N400 interview next week, you will have to wait for an oath letter in the mail. I am not stressed by not having being sworn-in today, it comes with the territory and will await an invitation in the mail.

Here is one thing which I experienced while in the interview, I didn't have to produce any original documentation or proof of my wife's US citizenship, no utilities, bank statement, mortgage statement, except to show the tax transcripts. When I send my application, I included a dossier of evidence including copies of her US passport, son's US passport, copy of birth certificate, marriage certificate and certified marriage documentation, my own passport, copy of GC, copies of utilities car-health-home-insurances documentation, FiOS combo (TV, Phone, Cell and Internet), Gas, Water, Electric, bank statements, Macys, HOA letters, copies of both of our drivers license (issued on the same day), and closing documentation when we bought our home. It appears as if she reviewed my file prior to the interview for evidence, and didn't need any other information from me, plus my wife's passport has been misplaced somewhere in the house. I went to the interview without it, and I had no concerns at all, because I believe that I could explain that little nugget without affecting my interview. I expect to hear from the interviewer soon, she took my cell number. We finally completed the interview and I collected my belongings, and I thanked her and we proceeded to exchange a passionate kiss.....:D I feel tired and less emotional than most people, because I have been raking in a whole lot of miles driving. Less emotional than most people who we approved and felt like they just won the lottery, it is possible it is their biggest lottery ticket. I saw a lot of people eating a bread of fear while awaiting to be called, which made me a little bit sad. Life shouldn't be this hard, plus the office there looked small and filthy to my liking, but I am glad all went well for me and I hope it goes well for all N400 applicants across this board, because I know it is important to a whole lot of people. I enjoyed the personable officer I interacted with today, she was young and nice, seem well-trained in strong customer-service.

Thanks for sharing. I hope your wife didn't notice the lipstick mark the IO left on your collar. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations AL and well done. My interview is next Friday, wish me luck guys.

Congratulations AL and well done. My interview is next Friday, wish me luck guys.

Aus,

You are going to do well. As I mentioned, I didn't have to produce any evidence as I had attached about a 1lb of evidence, which satisfied the IO. Best wishes dude and give us the good news as soon as you received them from the IO.

Good to hear about the Baltimore Office as I had the interview on 19th Oct and I havent heard from them yet. Although, my application is a lot different than yours. And I was told by the same or similar nice young lady that I was being recommended for appr. But she needed her supervisor to concur with her decision and I didn't say much as I vented out in a letter with my appl. ANyways...we should both hear sooner or later. Goodluck.

" in which we waited to discuss my traffic ticket, I didn't declare the ticket because it was speeding, but I told her about it in person. She proceeded to produce a print-out of my speeding ticket, told me if I had proof that I paid the ticket, she will look at it, while I was looking for it in my bag, she logged into her system, saw that it was closed (paid), "

Al,

Congrats!

Since it was a speeding ticket, why did you mention to her in-person? Did you HAVE to? What would have happened had you not mentioned it to her? Would she still have found it? If yes, do you think she would have questioned as to why you did not mention it either on the petition or verbally? If yes, then would it not be sufficient to say that the amount was $$$ ( less than $500) and I had paid it and hence it was not mentioned?

The reason I ask is, please see my other post in this regard (6th October 2010, if/when you have some time).

Hey guys this is JaginMD I said earlier that I havent heard from them yet..There it was my light on Friday evening when I opened my door to find a letter from USCIS. I opened it with a lot of anxiety. I saw the invitation to attend oath on 5th. That's it after all these years of waiting..here I am. The office is very very promt and quick in processing. So you should hear soon I think.

Goodluck with you guys and god bless.

Thanks.

"
Al,

Congrats! Since it was a speeding ticket, why did you mention to her in-person? Did you HAVE to? What would have happened had you not mentioned it to her? Would she still have found it? If yes, do you think she would have questioned as to why you did not mention it either on the petition or verbally? If yes, then would it not be sufficient to say that the amount was $$$ ( less than $500) and I had paid it and hence it was not mentioned?

The reason I ask is, please see my other post in this regard (6th October 2010, if/when you have some time).

GC2C,

I intended to ask her about it, because since it is a matter of public record and it was recent (April 2010), I just decided to clear the air. After all, it was my first ticket in over 7 years, I got it because I forgot to set-up my radar detector and won't do it again in MD. My preference is this, if it is just a speeding ticket, no DUI or DWI and other complicated issues, then there is no need to declare it on the application. Just pay the fine and bring proof to the interview or oath ceremony, because I think RFE for court documentation just delay your application and gets you to communicate with USCIS, more than you ought to. In addition, if your fine is below $500, then no need to produce documentation such as court summon noting the offense. Moreover, if your case doesn't involve killing another human being, then you will be fine.

Remember that if you fail to disclose the ticket, USCIS officers know about it. There is a background check which is done, which include the local courts, so you are going to be nailed if you act as if nothing happened. She had a print-out of the ticket in my file, while I was looking for proof of payment of the same ticket, she accessed some database and told me "don't bother, I see that it is closed", but I had the proof already and she looked at it and was satisfied. She probably could have mentioned it to see if I meant to mislead them, but one lesson all immigrants ought to learn is this: don't try to screw with the US govt, if the information is a matter of public record, give it. In the future, attach the link to your thread so make life easier for everyone.

Hey guys this is JaginMD I said earlier that I havent heard from them yet..There it was my light on Friday evening when I opened my door to find a letter from USCIS. I opened it with a lot of anxiety. I saw the invitation to attend oath on 5th. That's it after all these years of waiting..here I am. The office is very very promt and quick in processing. So you should hear soon I think.

Goodluck with you guys and god bless.

Thanks.

Congrats!!! The Baltimore, MD office is one of the fastest offices in the nation and I was impressed by the quality of immigration officers there. I wouldn't mind going there to take each one of them out for lunch, as a perk for doing their best work for the service of the US govt. If you go to the Baltimore, MD office and you are scared, then you are the one with a problem and not the USCIS people.

Guys,

I am scheduled for oath ceremony on Nov 19th, 2010 at 9am. Took exactly 9 business days since my interview date. So, I am about to be done.