N400 form question about Selective Service- Please Help!!!

bumble_bee

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are eligible to apply for N400. We are thinking of applying without the help of any attorney and hence my question to this forum. While preparing for the application we realized, that my husband was required to but never registered with Selective Service. He was a lawful immigrant, under age 26, and was present in the United States. We didn' know that we had to register to this service. He's now 30. I'm not sure if he needs to Register now or just Request for Status Information Letter from Selective Services, or is he required to do both? I also found out from sss.gov that it takes about 135 days to get that letter from their office. Is that really true? Does that mean we need to wait for that long before we can apply for N-400? Or can we apply without that paper and send an explanation letter informing the reason for not providing the letter with N400 application?

I would really appreciate everyone's response and experience in this matter. Thank you all for taking the time in reading the question.

Thanks in advance,
bumble_bee

When did he obtain his green card? If he was at least 18 and under 26 at the time, chances are that he was automatically registered as part of the green card process.

He turned 26, 4 months after he got GC. I checked the sss.gov site and it couldn't verify him as registered but I will definitely ask him to call them to find out. If he's registered, would they give him the number over the phone or do we need to wait for something in the mail? And in case he is not registered, does need to wait for the Request for Status Information letter to arrive or can we still apply and take the letter with us, provided we get it before the interview. If it's okay for us to apply without the letter, do we need to provide an explanation?

Thanks for your response Jackolantern!

I was going thru some post in this forum where others had asked questions about Selective Service registration. I found out that many suggested calling SSS to find out if they were registered automatically by the immigration services. My husband called them to check if he was and found out that infact he was also already registered to the Select Service System. Yaay! That solves a lot of problems. This site is extremely helpful. Thank you all!

gr8. ask them to send you proof of registration. so they ended up sending a post card kinda proof and later a card kinda one. with the name dob and registration number. i got registered through the DMV. i guess the SS works in mysterious way to prey on un suspecting immigrants. lol

I was going thru some post in this forum where others had asked questions about Selective Service registration. I found out that many suggested calling SSS to find out if they were registered automatically by the immigration services. My husband called them to check if he was and found out that infact he was also already registered to the Select Service System. Yaay! That solves a lot of problems. This site is extremely helpful. Thank you all!

Did you ask them to mail out the information at the same time?

When i did i got it in less than 2 weeks.

No need to wait for proof of registration letter before he can apply for naturalization since he can bring proof to interview.