N 600 interview experience for a child

csc092000

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I applied for N 600 for my kid (< 14 year old) after getting my citizenship and today received a request from San Jose INS to appear for the interview. I had assumed that no interview is required for N 600 but seems to be wrong.

Anyone has experience with N 600 interview?

Thanks.

Dear CSC,

When did you apply? I applied for my child's certificate about a month back and have not heard back from them.

Thanks

When you filled in the form, didn't the instructions say to submit copies of things like your Naturalization certificate and the child's green card. I think that's what I remember (I sent one in based on my wife's naturalization in June - no news as yet).

I seem to remember them saying that you had to bring the originals to the USCIS when they got around to considering the application. I expect the interview is more with the parent than with the child (since the process should be similar for an infant and a 17 year-old).

I think it is an error

I guess that it is an error unless you missed sending some files or your case is very special.
Please note: 1. N-600 is an application for Certificate not for an approval of citizenship. This means your child's US citizenship is autimatic as long long one of parents with one the child live is cititzenship.
2. My firiend sent N-600 for her son back this June and no result has come yet except that she was informed the case was transfered to CSC from San Jose. It is said that it will take one year to process.
Good luck!
Aimei

There is nothing special for our case unless I messed up something in the application.

We both got US citizenship. My daughter has a green card. We already have got US passport for her.

We did send the copy of natuarilzation certificate, green card etc. Did not enclose birth certificate etc. as the instruction for N 600 said we do not need to resubmit whatever is already in alien file. May be they are not able to find her file.

The letter clearly say N 600 (Has even the officer's name) and asks for very specific document.

would you mind

tell what documents are asked to bring?
BTW, there is no need for you to send your kid's green card to USCIS.
Also, my friend kid's N600 was sent January (instaed of June in my previous passport).
Again, N-600 is not decision making processing instead of getting a certificate (like get the green card after 485 is approved)
Good luck!

My wife just had her oath ceremony. I am still waiting for name check.

At the ceremony I asked one of the USCIS people about the N600 for my kids. I specifically asked him what happens to my kids green cards. He told me that I would recieve a letter to come in for an interview. At the interview I would give them my kids greencards. Therefore I think the "interview" is standard. I think it is to show original docs and give back the kids green cards.

DR_Z

The N-600 instructions clearly mention an "interview" where you are to show the originals of the document copies you sent with the form

<quote>
For each document needed, you may submit a clear,readable copy or the originals. Do not send anoriginal Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate ofNaturalization. USCIS may request that you presentoriginal documents at the interview.
</quote>

What I find curious is that you don't have to go through the N-600 process - you can simply apply for a passport. Under those circumstances there wouldn't be an interview....

So what am I missing?

We applied for a passport for our child the day my wife took the oath. We then applied for an N-600 once she got her passport.

An N-600 does not expire. It can be used as evidence for a passport (or something else that requires citizenship). It removes the dependency of a child's citizenship to the parent's naturalization. Since our daughter turns 18 in a few months, it seemed worth throwing yet another check at the USCIS.

Some people wear both suspenders and a belt.

would you mind

telling when you sent your N-600 to USCIS.
My friend told me: 1. She sent N-600 for her kid back in January to San Jose.
2. In March, she recived a notice that the case was transfrred to CSC.
3. In June, she visited San Jose office and was told that it would take another 6 mouths.
Your information is highly appreciated.
Good luck and have a good weekend!
Aimei

csc092000 said:
Hi,

I applied for N 600 for my kid (< 14 year old) after getting my citizenship and today received a request from San Jose INS to appear for the interview. I had assumed that no interview is required for N 600 but seems to be wrong.

Anyone has experience with N 600 interview?

Thanks.

As Flydog has already mentioned, the interview is essentially to verify whether the original documents are in order. There is no cause for concern.

boatbod said:
What I find curious is that you don't have to go through the N-600 process - you can simply apply for a passport. Under those circumstances there wouldn't be an interview....

So what am I missing?

First-time applicants have to appear in person before a federal employee (either at the post office or at a passport processing center). This person verifies whether the applicant indeed exists and whether his/her documents are in order. This serves the same purpose as the interview associated with an N-600 application.

aimei_mei said:
tell what documents are asked to bring?
BTW, there is no need for you to send your kid's green card to USCIS.
Also, my friend kid's N600 was sent January (instaed of June in my previous passport).
Again, N-600 is not decision making processing instead of getting a certificate (like get the green card after 485 is approved)
Good luck!

They have asked for the usual document, green card , birth certificate for the child, parents naturalization certificates, marriage certificate, old passport to show entry/exit dates etc.

We applied in February and this is the first response we got from INS. Hopefully it is just to check the original.

Just an update

We did go for the interview. They checked her green card/ birth certificate, our naturalization certificate and issued the natuarilzation certificate just after the interview.

There were other people with their children so looks like it is a routine process. It took 6 months to get N600.

Thanks,

N600 Question!

Hi,

My wife and I had our oath and applied for our PP. We are applying PP for our 2 kids and our PO did not accept all applications at one time saying that each application does require original Nat Cer.

My daughter is going to be 17 and my son is going to be 16 this summer. If I apply for N600 now, how long does it take to get their N600 approved. What will happen if the process takes more than a year and my daughter turns 18 by the time she is called for interview? Please help me!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
N-600 app child interview

My son at the time of N-600 approval, he was 14 yrs old, and DO did not request for an interview. They sent his Citizenship Certificate in mail via registered mail, with a letter asking us to return his Green Card.

I'm waiting for my daughter's N-600 approval, and hopefully it's the same procedure, i.e. they'll mail the certificate and we won't have to go for an interview.