N 600 interview experience for a child

Hi,

My wife and I had our oath and applied for our PP. We are applying PP for our 2 kids and our PO did not accept all applications at one time saying that each application does require original Nat Cer.

My daughter is going to be 17 and my son is going to be 16 this summer. If I apply for N600 now, how long does it take to get their N600 approved. What will happen if the process takes more than a year and my daughter turns 18 by the time she is called for interview? Please help me!

Thanks
I'll probably be able to tell you unless something happens in the next less than a month. We submitted an N-600 for my daughter last June and we haven't heard back yet (though, from the "Processing Times" web site for the Dallas DO we should have).

She turns 18 before St. Patricks day, so... We'll see what happens. I really want to get this all settled before she moves away to go to school in the fall.

For Hanimi

Your children under 18 get naturalized immediately when you or your spouse, whoever is first, gets naturalized. So your children are already US citizens.
For the passports once you recieve yours, your original Naturalization certificate together with your child's birth certificate with both father's and mother's name in it suffices for the child's passport.
Just a procedural matter but after 09/11 one cannot complain too much.
The Naturalization certificate for your children is a routine process and takes a year in most local offices (dont ask me why) and whether they are 18 years or over is immaterial since they are already US citizens. Just a paper confirmation
Cheers!:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you describe your experience?

Hi There,
Can you give me little more information about your experimence?

I had very similar case except I already have my son's passport for past one year. I did not think about N-600 form and applying for US Naturalization Form. But after reading this I realized this.
What question did they asked you?

We applied for a passport for our child the day my wife took the oath. We then applied for an N-600 once she got her passport.

An N-600 does not expire. It can be used as evidence for a passport (or something else that requires citizenship). It removes the dependency of a child's citizenship to the parent's naturalization. Since our daughter turns 18 in a few months, it seemed worth throwing yet another check at the USCIS.

Some people wear both suspenders and a belt.