N-600 Help

currybai

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Both my parents became citizens before i turned 18 so I am technically a citizen. Now, I just applied for my passport because i want to go on vacation so they took away my green card and my parents' original naturalization certificates. The lady at the post office told me that I would get the naturalization certificates back in the mail. But my green card will be gone. But then won't I need my green card to apply for the N-600? Anyone else have similar experiences? thanks

The Passport Agency does return the greencard domestically, abroad maybe not. It does not belong to them. It is the property of DHS and under the direct control of USCIS. Even a deported person's green card is eventually returned to USCIS by ICE or CBP.

The Postal employee is not an expert on that issue, only the intake process she is involved.

The Passport Agency does return the greencard domestically, abroad maybe not. It does not belong to them. It is the property of DHS and under the direct control of USCIS. Even a deported person's green card is eventually returned to USCIS by ICE or CBP.

The Postal employee is not an expert on that issue, only the intake process she is involved.

I see. So I will get everything back returned to me including my Green Card, birth certificate, and my parent's naturalization certificate?

I see. So I will get everything back returned to me including my Green Card, birth certificate, and my parent's naturalization certificate?

Yes, if you applied for a US passport. the orginal documents (GC/birth certificate/parents NC) will all be returned to you as different items of mail on various days after you get your passport. So don't worry if everything is not in one mail envelope.

( If you have applied for N600 also with USCIS , the Orginal GC has to be surrendered BEFORE/when you go to take possession of the 'Certificate of Citizenship (CoC)' - when you get notified to come get it by mail.
A relatively simple procedure that involves taking a oath, surrender of GC, sign the CoC... all about 15 minutes where you (child) may/have to go down with your parent to the USCIS office.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Even if for some reason they don't return the GC to you, a photocopy of the green card will be sufficient when filing N-600. (Hopefully, you did keep some photocopies of your green card, right?)

The passport office should return the orginal GC back to the applicant, and they will (from my personal experience with my daughter's case in May).

Well, it is true that a copy of the green card would suffice to file the N-600, UCSIS will NOT deliver on the CoC without surrender of the original GC (it is a requirement, and listed as such on the letter which informs you when CoC is ready.) or proof that it is unaccounted for. I guess if State Department where to acknowledge that they are holding on to the GC in writing , USCIS may buy that argument.

National Passport Information Center (NPIC) can be reached @ 1-877-487-2778 or npic@state.gov.

The passport office should return the orginal GC back to the applicant, and they will (from my personal experience with my daughter's case in May).

Well, it is true that a copy of the green card would suffice to file the N-600, UCSIS will NOT deliver on the CoC without surrender of the original GC (it is a requirement, and listed as such on the letter which informs you when CoC is ready.) or proof that it is unaccounted for. I guess if State Department where to acknowledge that they are holding on to the GC in writing , USCIS may buy that argument.

Practical experience shows that USCIS does approve N-600 and issue certificates of citizenship even if the original GC is not available and is not submitted with the N-600 application. This often happens, in particular, to people who derived U.S. citizenship as minors, but apply for N-600 as adults, years or decades later, when the GC has been long since lost or misplaced. There have been a number cases of this type reported in this forum.