N-565 tracker

Hi Jenh5,

Have you receive the Replacement Certificate ? If the online Status will show the Certificate is sent ?

case start with SRC
I do not know if Texas had sent me the Certificate Or had never sent me the Certificate
Because the status is "Approval notice sent" since July 2008
"undeliverable" had never shown on the case status.
Current Status is "Approval notice sent"

I don't know what to say. I assume that if your last status update was in July 2008 that your priority date has to be from a few months earlier (I would be curious to know, you can send me a private message what are the following 5 numbers after SRC) so your case was approved but you never got the certificate. That's the sort of catch 22. If you didn't get the certificate and USCIS didn't get it returned then I think it's going to be tough to get them to issue a new one for free. You should have received the certificate a few days after it was approved. I think for now your only choices are to keep insisting with customer service, tell your case to the citizenship ombudsman, or perhaps get in touch with your local government representatives. I am afraid that USCIS will sit comfortably until someone sends them the certificate back.

Please explain what [the 5 numbers after SRC ] represent ? is some kind of the USCIS coding system ?

The USCIS customer service did not understand N-565 Process is to replace certificate, always gave the answer of Naturalization Process.

How to submit the inquiry to The American Immigration Lawyers Association inquiry program ?

How to contact AILA volunteer who helps run the program ?

Hi Jenh5,

Have you receive the Replacement Certificate ? If the online Status will show the Certificate is sent ?

Hi there. No, we still have not received the certificate... We called again the other day and were told to send the RFE AGAIN to a different address so we did that on Thursday last week. Online still says "RFE sent..." bla bla.

Best of luck to you.

Hi jenh5,

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried to involve your congressperson/senator, or the citizenship ombudsman? I hope that sending the RFE to a different address helps.

Good luck.

Nebraska seems to be processing August 2008 applications at a good clip. Unfortunately, it seems they are approving most other cases, but my kid's :( At least it doesn't seem like I'm getting an RFE, but it is frustrating. I thought this case was a "slam dunk": a replacement of a just issued citizenship certificate that had a typo. I was providing the original certificate, so there shouldn't be a lot of processing to make sure the certificate needs to be issued. I'll never fully understand USCIS.

Yahooo!

Application Type: N565, APPLICATION FOR A NEW NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE

Current Status: Approval notice sent.

Just shy of 180 days

Last edited by a moderator:
Certificate arrived today (Saturday Feb. 21, 2009). However, I wasn't home so they left a notice to pick it up on Monday. So, they send the certificate by certified mail.

congratz!! It is always a good feeling when you get something accomplished with USCIS. I hope my case goes well. I may be moving soon and will have to submit a change of address, which I'm worried about since the slightest discrepancy with USCIS can completely ruin a case.

Thank you!

I picked up the envelope from the post office this morning. As far as I can say this certificate doesn't have any errors so it looks like I'm finally done for a while with INS/USCIS and whatever future name they choose. For a while means for the foreseeable future. All in all I shouldn't complain, it's been less than a decade of dealings.

For the N-565 process I'd like to sum up the experience:

Filed on August 2008, received Notice of Action within a week. Didn't hear anything else from them. Got lucky (or was thorough on completing the application) and didn't get a request for evidence. Case approved February 17, 2009, just shy of 180 days.

The certificate comes with instructions to sign full name on photograph and certificate using black ink. The examples on the instruction sheet is given in cursive. The request to use BLACK INK is underlined, in capital letters and boldface :)

Here goes a link to the signature instructions document:

http://flickcabin.com/public/view/23109

I have observed some similiarites and differences between this certificate and the one that was issued last year (the one with the typo).

Original certificate: Form N-560. It had the certificate number printed with red ink, and the word ORIGINAL under the eagle seal.
New certificate: Form N-561 Same certificate number, but printed on black, an additional document number on black at the bottom left side. Word ORIGINAL is absent from this form.

I don't find references to N-560/N-561 at the USCIS website, but there are some references on the Web about both being valid for immigration status verification.

During this time there was a couple of improvements I noticed. USCIS started reporting N-565 processing times on their service center pages for Nebraska and Texas (I submitted a request, as they didn't post this information earlier), and I also noticed that Nebraska is picking up speed, reducing processing time from around 8 months, to around 6 months. I hope they continue improving their processing time at both service centers.

Very good luck to anybody waiting for their certificate of citizenship replacement. I hope this thread will provide them valuable information and comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
congratz!! It is always a good feeling when you get something accomplished with USCIS. I hope my case goes well. I may be moving soon and will have to submit a change of address, which I'm worried about since the slightest discrepancy with USCIS can completely ruin a case.

Thanks!

You're right, it is a good feeling. It closes a big cycle with USCIS, in particular one and a half years waiting to get a correct certificate of citizenship for my child. At least nothing was put on hold in our lives due to this.

I hope that if you move they will be able to update the address information and send you the certificate to the correct address. I also wonder which address will they print on your certificate. Certificates of citizenship include address information. My guess is that they should print the current address, but I don't know for sure.

Hopefully you'll get your certificate in just a few more months.

Hi there. No, we still have not received the certificate... We called again the other day and were told to send the RFE AGAIN to a different address so we did that on Thursday last week. Online still says "RFE sent..." bla bla.

Best of luck to you.

Hi Jenh5,

I hope this gets the case finally "unstuck". I'll keep dropping by to check on this thread. Best of luck.

Hi Jenh5,

I hope this gets the case finally "unstuck". I'll keep dropping by to check on this thread. Best of luck.

Thanks! I'm happy to hear you got yours.

We sent a letter to the ombudsman last week. We contacted our senator weeks ago but he hasn't responded. We're hoping the ombudsman will do something for us.

Thanks again and so glad to hear your good news.

Thanks! I'm happy to hear you got yours.

We sent a letter to the ombudsman last week. We contacted our senator weeks ago but he hasn't responded. We're hoping the ombudsman will do something for us.

Thanks again and so glad to hear your good news.

Best of luck. Keep the pressure on them. You should have had a decision made by now.

One more observation about the process. It seems like the first time one applies for a certificate of citizenship (using N-600) one is issued a N-560 form certificate of citizenship. If this is lost, destroyed and/or incorrect, USCIS will issue a N-561 with the same certificate number as on the N-560. However, the certificate number is printed on the certificate at the time of adding the personal information. So, my guess is that N-560 are exclusively issued by local offices when one applies with N-600. N-561 are issued by the two service centers that handle application for replacement of certificate of citizenship (N-565) (Texas and Nebraska). The N-561 has an additional number which I guess is a document number to link the physical document, piece of paper to the certificate number/person it was issued to.

I sent in N-565 on Dec 2007
online status "Approval Notice Sent" on July 29 2008

I have not received anything from USCIS.
I called Texas Service Center every month, talked to several people and got different responses (1) wait for 60 days (2) go to the field office (3) wait till post office to return un-delivery document (4) re-apply N565 (5) go to post office ask for certified mail (6) case is closed, they can not do anything on closed case

I learned from this blog that I have to make the point when talked to USCIS Call Center.
The last call was on Feb 23 2009, I asked to expedite the case and request the case to be reviewed by USCIS director.
I got the letter from the director on March 9, 2009 asked me to submit the photos in order to generate another Replacement Certificate.
I send two photos using certified mail on March 10 2009.
I got my replacement certificate on March 23 2009.

Thanks for this blog, the valuable suggestions that encourage me to keep going while I am almost give it up.

Also, thanks for USCIS call Center and USCIS director for their thoughtful action.

Congratulations on finally obtaining your replacement certificate of citizenship. I'm sorry that it took so much effort to get the situation straightened out, but I am sure that the suggestion to escalate the case to the director might be useful for people in your same situation. All said and done I'm glad to hear you finally got your certificate.