N-400 submission

gs99

Registered Users (C)
New to this forum. I have a few questions for the forum members.

What documents do I need to submit when submitting N-400? Also, I assume you can do this yourself without a lawyer right? Anything else I need to take care of? Got GC in Aug 1st week 2004. I read that I am eligible to apply 90 days before. I have been out of the country(India) for 75 days though in the past 5 years. Someone told me I should apply only if I lived in USA for 5 full years and not before that.

These may be already answered questions. Please direct me to the appropriate archives if already covered previously.

Thank you very much
gs99

What documents do I need to submit when submitting N-400? Also, I assume you can do this yourself without a lawyer right? Anything else I need to take care of? Got GC in Aug 1st week 2004. I read that I am eligible to apply 90 days before. I have been out of the country(India) for 75 days though in the past 5 years. Someone told me I should apply only if I lived in USA for 5 full years and not before that.

These may be already answered questions. Please direct me to the appropriate archives if already covered previously.

Thank you very much
gs99

About the documents you need - read the sticky at the top of the forum. Also, you do not need to physically live in the US for the full five years. Therefore, you are eligible to apply for naturalization now.

Welcome to the forum, gs99!

1. I sumbitted copy of GC (both the sides), check for fee, 2 passport size photographs and the completed application (N-400). In general you do not need additional documents.

2. The applicatoin process is fairly straightforward and I don't think one needs an attorney.

3. 75 days out of the country is very much okay.

4. And one can apply 90 days prior to the 5 yr anniversary of his/her GC date. To be on the safer side apply 85 days prior to 5 yr.

Hope it helps!

Thank you very much
gs99

You can apply right away, vacation days won't count against your stay here. For filing instructions, check out this document:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-400ins.pdf

Good luck,
JS.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have checked the sticky post for the list. It talks about one SSA. My husband came to US @ 29yrs. I assume we don't care about that then. right?

thanks again.

One more question : Once mailed, can we check status from any USCIS website (like for GC)?
Thanks

Question on N-400 form

Hi Guys,
quick question on filling out the N-400 Application form. This might sound silly but, I am kinda confused about the question under Part 8, question G. "How many times has your current spouse been married". I am not sure if it is referring to any PREVIOUS marriages. If we both are married for the first time, do I mention 1 in the form or 0?

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks.

It is asking about 'Your current spouse' that means she is already married to you and I think the intention is that how many times she is married before marrying you. In this case, the answer should be '0'. I have put '0' in my case. If the agent asks about it then you can explain. The whole form is very confusing. There is no clarity on what exactly they want. And I think this is why they conduct an interview process.

Part 8, question G

Thank You guys for your reply. I have got 2 different answers from 2 people. I would appreciate if you guys can reply me and let me know what everyone has filled in the form for this column so that I can come to a conclusion.

Thanks.

Selective Service Registration

Hi Guys,
Hope this would be my last question. Regarding SSA, I came to the US when I was 24 yrs old on H1B VISA. I got my green card when I was 29 and never registered for any SELECTIVE SERVICE. Was I supposed to? Am I missing something here. Should I click YES or NO for PART 10 G-33 question.

Any input on this would be great.

Thanks.