N-400 submission while undergoing divorce

Vikramaditya

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

Am currently planning to submit my N-400 application next week. I have a divorce in progress that has been approved, but because of California's mandatory 6-month requirement, will not be final till early May, so am technically married till then. So do I list myself as married in the N-400 form, and show the divorce details to the interviewer on interview day? Will this have any adverse impact on my application timelines?

Also, is there any restriction on travel during the entire citizenship process? I understand that I can travel between the N-400 application and the interview date. Can I still travel between the Interview date (if approved) and the Oath date? I have to travel to India frequently during this summer, and cannot afford a 2-3 month gap while my US Passport and PIO card are being processed. So need to know the last possible date I can travel till.

Thanks...

Sorry, should have specified.. it's the regular 5 year rule. She got a green card as my dependant, but I don't think that matters at this point...

Hi everyone,

Am currently planning to submit my N-400 application next week. I have a divorce in progress that has been approved, but because of California's mandatory 6-month requirement, will not be final till early May, so am technically married till then. So do I list myself as married in the N-400 form, and show the divorce details to the interviewer on interview day? Will this have any adverse impact on my application timelines?

Also, is there any restriction on travel during the entire citizenship process? I understand that I can travel between the N-400 application and the interview date. Can I still travel between the Interview date (if approved) and the Oath date? I have to travel to India frequently during this summer, and cannot afford a 2-3 month gap while my US Passport and PIO card are being processed. So need to know the last possible date I can travel till.

Thanks...

1. You are Married at this time. By the time of your interview, you'll probably be divorced so have the IO make the change to the N400 at that time (take your divorce decree and a copy with you). It won't have an impact on your eligibility.
2. Regarding travel, if you are an occasional overseas traveler, you can travel on your Indian passport until the day of your Citizenship Oath. After that, you have to figure out the best way to accelerate the US Passport and Indian Visa (PIO/OCi takes much longer than a visa)

Your ability to travel between filing N-400 (Naturalization) and Oath depends on continuous and physical residency requirements. Depending on where you live, and how close is US passport agency and Indian consulate are; you may be able to obtain US passport (following oath ceremony, of course) and PIO card in few days. PIO card same day emergency issue/delivery (when applied at Indian consulate in person) additional cost/fee is $150.

Your ability to travel between filing N-400 (Naturalization) and Oath depends on continuous and physical residency requirements.
Only continuous residency must be met up until oath. Physical presence requirement must only be met up until submitting application.