N-400 San Francisco timeline

Went to my citizenship interview today. Here's my experience:

The interviews are conducted on the second floor. As you step out of the elevator, you go up to the receptionist to check-in. There are two "windows:" one for AOS and the other for citizenship. Lady checked me in and I was asked to wait in one of the sections for seating. Names are announced on the PA system to go to Door __. Doors A and B are to the right of the elevator, C and D are near the middle of that room, E and F are to the left. I wanted to mention that because I was asked to go to Door D and I had no idea where it was.

The officer was very friendly. I had to wait for him to open Door D for me because they're all locked. We went in, passed several other rooms/cubicles, and into his office. He asked me to raise my right arm and swore to tell the truth.

He checked something in his computer, then asked for my green card and my ID. I gave him my driver's license and GC, and he looked at both of them. Then he asked if I'm still at the same address, same phone number, have I ever been separated from my husband. The question that surprised me was when he asked if we owned our house. I said yes. Then he wanted to now if my name is on the deed. I told him that husband bought the house a few years before we got married.

He went through some of the items we had to check yes or no to on the form. Specifically, he asked if I've ever been arrested, been an alcoholic or prostitute (that always cracks me up), served in the military, and would I be willing to bear arms. He then asked me to sign on two places on a form. Then he asked me the civics questions. I only remember the one about who is the vice president. I was asked six questions off a sheet, and he checked off the ones I answered correctly (all six).

I was asked to write a very simple sentence, but he didn't ask me to read anything. (We had some side conversations regarding my husband's job, and maybe that was enough to show I can speak the language fluently?) He asked what documents did I bring for him. I showed him the tax transcripts for the last three years, a statement saying that our health insurance are under the same policy, a couple of bank statements with both our names on them, and our proof of car insurance. I let him keep the first three, but he had to photocopy the car insurance because I needed that.

He asked me to sign my pictures, left the room for a couple of minutes, then came back to tell me that the oath will be on July 24. He said to wait in the lobby for my name to be called. He was going to review everything before putting in his final recommendation, but he didn't think there was going to be any problems. If he had questions, he'll come out to talk to me.

My husband was waiting for me the whole time, and I think that helped a little in establishing our relationship (probably not too much, though). The DO did not come out to talk to him, but he did see us together. After waiting for another 10 minutes or so, my name was called and I was given the oath letter. The interview itself was maybe 20 minutes long.

And that's it. Have to wait another month, but I don't mind, considering everything else we've gone through to get to this point. :) I don't have any real advice except to prepare the proper documents you have available. If you're going on the basis of being married to a US citizen, have enough proof that you are living together and truly married. He didn't ask to see my husband's driver's license or anything, but I had a photocopy of it in my purse, just in case.

Overall, it was a relief to be over this. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting.

quick question

shadowfox,

Did you apply your GC at CA also? Could you please tell us what is your prior timeline?

Thanks in advance!

Went to my citizenship interview today. Here's my experience:

The interviews are conducted on the second floor. As you step out of the elevator, you go up to the receptionist to check-in. There are two "windows:" one for AOS and the other for citizenship. Lady checked me in and I was asked to wait in one of the sections for seating. Names are announced on the PA system to go to Door __. Doors A and B are to the right of the elevator, C and D are near the middle of that room, E and F are to the left. I wanted to mention that because I was asked to go to Door D and I had no idea where it was.

The officer was very friendly. I had to wait for him to open Door D for me because they're all locked. We went in, passed several other rooms/cubicles, and into his office. He asked me to raise my right arm and swore to tell the truth.

He checked something in his computer, then asked for my green card and my ID. I gave him my driver's license and GC, and he looked at both of them. Then he asked if I'm still at the same address, same phone number, have I ever been separated from my husband. The question that surprised me was when he asked if we owned our house. I said yes. Then he wanted to now if my name is on the deed. I told him that husband bought the house a few years before we got married.

He went through some of the items we had to check yes or no to on the form. Specifically, he asked if I've ever been arrested, been an alcoholic or prostitute (that always cracks me up), served in the military, and would I be willing to bear arms. He then asked me to sign on two places on a form. Then he asked me the civics questions. I only remember the one about who is the vice president. I was asked six questions off a sheet, and he checked off the ones I answered correctly (all six).

I was asked to write a very simple sentence, but he didn't ask me to read anything. (We had some side conversations regarding my husband's job, and maybe that was enough to show I can speak the language fluently?) He asked what documents did I bring for him. I showed him the tax transcripts for the last three years, a statement saying that our health insurance are under the same policy, a couple of bank statements with both our names on them, and our proof of car insurance. I let him keep the first three, but he had to photocopy the car insurance because I needed that.

He asked me to sign my pictures, left the room for a couple of minutes, then came back to tell me that the oath will be on July 24. He said to wait in the lobby for my name to be called. He was going to review everything before putting in his final recommendation, but he didn't think there was going to be any problems. If he had questions, he'll come out to talk to me.

My husband was waiting for me the whole time, and I think that helped a little in establishing our relationship (probably not too much, though). The DO did not come out to talk to him, but he did see us together. After waiting for another 10 minutes or so, my name was called and I was given the oath letter. The interview itself was maybe 20 minutes long.

And that's it. Have to wait another month, but I don't mind, considering everything else we've gone through to get to this point. :) I don't have any real advice except to prepare the proper documents you have available. If you're going on the basis of being married to a US citizen, have enough proof that you are living together and truly married. He didn't ask to see my husband's driver's license or anything, but I had a photocopy of it in my purse, just in case.

Overall, it was a relief to be over this. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting.

N-400 Mailed 02/04/07
N-400 Delivered USCIS CSC 02/06/07
I-797 Received 02/13/07 confirming receipt of N-400 Priority date 02/06/07
Signed up for e-mail updates on USCIS website 02/13/07
I-797 Received 02/20/07 advising fingerprinting appointment 03/09/07
Fingerprinted 03/09/07 @ OAK ASC
06/06/07 As no e-mail updates received from USCIS, I called FBI who confirmed fingerprints had cleared on 03/09/07
06/06/07 mailed letter to USCIS CSC enquiring of app status
06/07/07 letter delivered to USCIS CSC

As has been mention before on this forum, it looks like signing up for e-mail updates with the USCIS is pointless as they do not seem to update anything

To Alameda1

Alameda1, could you please share your immigration timeline briefly? Like when/where you get your H1 (if applicable), when/where you apply/get your GC etc.

Also, my timeline is close to your one, can you share your letter here? I may need to send a mail like yours.

Thanks in advance.

N-400 Mailed 02/04/07
N-400 Delivered USCIS CSC 02/06/07
I-797 Received 02/13/07 confirming receipt of N-400 Priority date 02/06/07
Signed up for e-mail updates on USCIS website 02/13/07
I-797 Received 02/20/07 advising fingerprinting appointment 03/09/07
Fingerprinted 03/09/07 @ OAK ASC
06/06/07 As no e-mail updates received from USCIS, I called FBI who confirmed fingerprints had cleared on 03/09/07
06/06/07 mailed letter to USCIS CSC enquiring of app status
06/07/07 letter delivered to USCIS CSC

As has been mention before on this forum, it looks like signing up for e-mail updates with the USCIS is pointless as they do not seem to update anything

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting for IL

Here is my timeline. Anyone is on the same boat?

N400 mailed: 1/3/07
PD: 1/5/07
FP: 2/8 (done earlier 1/25)
I/V date: ??
Oath: ???

I had my oath today - nicely done, did make people there a little emotional... applied for Passport (expedited) on the way back at the local post office, turned in the voter registration card at the 'Democrat' booth outside the oath venue...

Now time to wait for PP, apply for OCI and also file parents GC!

Conguralations

Congratulation to new US Citizen!

I had my oath today - nicely done, did make people there a little emotional... applied for Passport (expedited) on the way back at the local post office, turned in the voter registration card at the 'Democrat' booth outside the oath venue...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey, congratulations! Are relatives and friends allowed? Seems like everyone I know who's heard I'm doing my citizenship oath wants to be there for me. I'm still trying to figure out a way to tell them they don't have to all be there. :)

Received FP notice, but not NoA for PD

Today I recd FP notice. I was waiting for NoA but never received it. Is this common? But I'm glad that I recd FP notice.

One question, Can I go for FP before FP date. I read that if we need to do early FP, Saturday is good for Oakland center.

Received FP notice, but not NoA for PD

Today I recd FP notice. I was waiting for NoA but never received it. Is this common? But I'm glad that I recd FP notice.

One question, Can I go for FP before FP date. I read that if we need to do early FP, Saturday is good for Oakland center.

Hi,

This may not be common but I guess it happens sometimes. You can always schedule earlier provided you have a strong reason for not keeping with the time given. From what I understand you can go anytime and tell them that you would want to do it earlier if possilbe, showing the proof for coming earlier than scheduled.

Thanks,
Karkeech

Adding mine:

N-400 mailed - 05/07/2007
N-400 received/PD - 05/09/2007
Check cashed - 05/24/2007
FP Notice received - 06/01/2007
FP Date - 06/16/2007

quick question

Hi Pistolfire99,

Good luck at your interview. Could you also share your GC history with me?
Did you apply GC here in SFO and based on Marriage or employement?

Thanks in advance!

Anyone for July 11th Interview at Oakland office ? I am nervous and excited ...

Application Mailed: May 10, 2007

N-400 Time Line
District Office : SFO/OAK
May 10, 2007 : Mailed to CSC (USPS)
May 14, 2007 : Package accepted at CSC
May 14, 2007 : Priority Date
May 30, 2007 : Notice date (I-797C)
June 10, 2007 : FP Notice received
June 22, 2007 : FP Done (Oakland)

Got my interview DONE today.

Very Simple...Took a total of 10 minutes.

IO was great.

Did not ask for any DOCUMENTS what so ever.

Did not ask any probing questions.

ALL he asked for was GC, DL & PP. Thats it.

Very quickly went through the N-400 App.

I had lot of travel so quickly went through the dates.

10 civic questions, write 1 sentence, read 1 sentece.

Got my N-652 - Congratulations. Your app has been recommended for approval.

Got the OATH Letter (Hand Delivered)

Oath scheduled for August 7th.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Anyone waiting for Oath Letter (Oakland/SFO)?

Mailed: March 7, 2007
PD: March 12, 2007
FP: April 18th, 2007
IV: June 14, 2007 @ Oakland

Received N-652 saying "congrats, application has been recommended for approval". Officer said that I should receive letter by mail and oath is likely on July 24th, but no sign of letter yet.

Anyone in same boat?

Got my oath letter today. Interview was on June 18. They handed me a piece of paper with the details about the oath a few minutes after the interview. I was frankly surprised to receive another copy in the mail.

Anyway, after July 24, I'm done. Applied for AOS in 2003 based on marriage, got CPR in 2004. It was pretty smooth sailing, but I won't say that I'm going to miss having to deal with that particular bureaucracy again. :)